I could get into all this re-enacting stuff

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Vesper

Post by Vesper » 15 Nov 2003, 20:35

I could get into all this re-enacting stuff, does anyone know what kind of dedication you need to take part in one of these units? Also, with the strict gun laws in England, would it be possible to buy a world war 2 rifle? I suppose I would have to purchase a replica :|

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 17 Nov 2003, 00:11

There are units of all type of flavors around. From the people who will have you wear correct period type of underware, mint to perfection reporduced uniforms, period haircut and correctly filled out military papers but who wont jump into a muddy ditch, to those units who do not give a fig about "correct" uniforms and run around in badly converted East German polyester tunics, spanish helmets, long hair and beards/goates with digital watches on their wrists, etc...playing paintball or airsoft with each other.
Then you also have those who might fall in between those two extremes.

The issue of weapondry is a touchy one in Europe in general in comparaison to the almost "free for all" US conditions. Most likely you will have to purchase a demilled weapon to do the trick.
I´m not 100% familiar with your UK situation but I know from Spain that in order to do a fully legal private event you have to turn in all types of paper work to the local police, have your weapons accounted for. I´m actually more and more thinking, just to avoid all the hassle of explaining to do in case of questions, to switch my demilled K98k for an Airsoft Tanaka Mauser which does the trick and avoids me stupid questions.

Steve Das Reich

Post by Steve Das Reich » 20 Nov 2003, 00:08

Hi Vesper,

Yes the firearms laws are strict in the UK.

However there are two types of weapon, de activated and "live".
With de activated weapons the firearm has been modified so it is impossible to fire live rounds, you need no firearms certificate.

Live weapons are just that, they still work and require a section 5 firearms certificate to legally own and use.

Providing your not a convicted felon and you meet the requirements of issue it is not that hard to get a certificate, speak with your local police force for information.

World war two firearms are still about and for sale a K98k will set you back £200 - £300, an original MP40 over a £1,000, going on towards £2,000 depending on condition.

Regards

Steve

Lustmolch

Post by Lustmolch » 28 Nov 2003, 20:21

A Section 5 firearms cert will enable you to hold a fully functioning weapon (from bolt action rifle to fully automatic machine gun) and live/blank ammunition but are subject to stringent examinations at any time to satisfy the law that the weapon is kept in a secure place.

Slightly easier to obtain (relatively speaking) is a shotgun certificate. You can buy bolt action rifles like the Lee-Enfield or Kar 98k that have been smoothbored and the magazine restricted to one shot only (You have to reload after each shot).

Sometimes the groups hold a certain quantity of weapons that you can hire for a fee.

I think that you can also get blank firing replicas of MP40 and Sten guns. Thes will only fire blanks and are not subject to the same laws as a live rifle. Calibre is 8mm or 9mm. Blank firing replicas of Walther P38, PPK, Colt M1911A1 etc are relatively inexpensive (they usually take 8mm blanks).

LegalAssassin

Post by LegalAssassin » 29 Nov 2003, 04:19

I'm actually quite interested in getting a rifle or two (WW2 only, most likely. An M1 Garand and a K98k would be nice to shoot) as soon as I'm 18. Does anyone know the exact laws for gun use in Sweden, apart from talking to a police office and having a proper gunlocker.

I e, where may I shoot this, is there any special training you need, any laws concerning the maximum amount of ammo you can hold or whatever?
Also, provided that I have no records etc, how hard is it to get a basic certificate? How long would it take?

Unki Hans

UK Guns

Post by Unki Hans » 30 Nov 2003, 19:39

Damn shame you can't emigrate! Reenacting in the states is so easy when it comes to the firearms. I mourn for the lost freedoms of my British brothers.
Unki Hans

Return to “Reenactment”