reenacting in 194?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
voorst

reenacting in 194?

Post by voorst » 22 Dec 2003, 15:43

Which year do you reenact?
I choosed from June to Dec. 1944 for me and my group...good choice in your opinion?

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 22 Dec 2003, 22:34

Most do 1944 just to adapt to the Americans and the whole Normandie-Bulge thing events.
I personally have choosen 1942, which gives me some very nices uniforms but also still allows be the 1944 events.

I dislike also those reenactors who choose the late war years because its almost a "card blanche" to the "everything works" in regards of equipment, throwing out the disciplined look for the "They would have used it also in thjose years" by using "Captured weapons", Camo all over, etc..

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 22 Dec 2003, 23:37

our unit is based around 1943

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 23 Dec 2003, 21:12

I like and identify with 1945 the best. This way, yes, all the innovations, uniforms and equipment can be used, one can mention practically anything and not be out of bounds. Yet I myself prefer the nice look of the early uniforms and wear such, as they were indeed found to be used right to the end. However; others don't, so I am bound to see all that late stuff anyway. In 1945 I would have so it doesn't bother me.
But probably the biggest reason is that most of the events I attend the sides tend to be very uneven with the Germans finding themselves with their back to the wall so to speak, so I really can get into that feeling of desperation that was 1945.
Also it happens that 'the end' facinates me historically. I spend a lot of my reading time on that subject. It is a time when one sees the people as they really are--the noblest heros, the worst scoundrels. Pretense begins to fall away and it's every person for himself...a desperate time--a dramatic time.
Perhaps I was in that situation in a former life or something, I don't know, but it somewhow seems more real to me than the 'glory' times.

SW~

Return to “Reenactment”