Making a WW2 movie!

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Stu-hun

Making a WW2 movie!

Post by Stu-hun » 19 Mar 2004, 00:17

Hey all,

I am working on making a 20 minute World War 2 movie for my English Hon 10 class, and Im trying to make the woods of Vancouver look like a Normandy forest. So far the story line looks good, and I preview filmed the locations (it looks sweet :D). I also have 25 grade tens eager to participate from both of Burnaby's school's. As for props Im doing ok, I have 2 shotguns, 1 BB shot gun, two hunting rifles, a sniper scope and a luger that acually is a lighter (Not exactly WW2, but close enough), as well as a ton of various props, shells, flags etc . As for clothes I have 8 cheap ww2 uniforms I bought from a garage sale and some post war stuff as well. Helmets for allies are good (8), but I only have 2 German helmets for 17 Germans! I also have a few Kraut and allied tank models, as well as a few planes im using with clayamation to fight to the death on some scale sets :D

Story:

Americans verses Germans, from the American point of view. A small allied group of paratroopers, miles from their target, are lost somewhere in Normandy, france, and find out there is a German installation (fox holes, troops) on a hill on above a slanted forest. Of course, they have to destroy it. They work their way into the forest while repelling German attacks, slowing edging their way to the top. Once they get there they kill the German commander and his men in a fire fight, but before they get killed the German commander orders tanks to re-enforce the area. A panzer comes in and kills an advancing sherman, but the allies find a panzerskrek and blow it to smitherines. I am also thinking about using clayanimation and fish wire to make an air battle between a American tank buster and a Junker (wonder who wins :wink: )

I am doing this for a grade 10 class using some computer software, props and some camera tricks, so my budget isn't exactly hollywood. Does anyone have suggestions to make this a better movie? Once it is done I can post it on pinacle studios web site so if anyone wants to see it they can :) .It will be kindof cheezy (50's movie style 8)) , but will have some dramatic moments and have lots of action. I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to some of my questions.

Are there any cheap look alike german uniforms I can buy from a millitary shop?

Is there a way to shape wood into rifle shapes and paint it so it looks semi-realistic from 10 feet away?

Can I make a MG-42 out of black cardboard?

Can I make a panzerskreik out of a tube and 2 cans?

Are there any German look alike helmets that are cheap?

Many thanks,

Stu

Sarge

ww2 movie

Post by Sarge » 23 Mar 2004, 09:51

The only cheap look alike helmets would be the Spanish wartime copy of the German M42. These were around 5 - 7 years ago and still show up at gun and militaria shows occasionally. They generally run $25 - $30 ea.
I know a guy who did have 5 or 10 of these some time ago and can check on availability for you, if you're interested.
The only cheap look alike uniforms would be the east German, which would need to be dyed green to almost look right, and still would have some incorrect features. The price on these depend on the size. I would expect you would need smaller sizes which are not expensive at all. I have at least 3 or 4 of the jackets & pants to sell.
Email me at: [email protected]
Sarge

Sarge

ww2 movie

Post by Sarge » 23 Mar 2004, 09:53

The only cheap look alike helmets would be the Spanish wartime copy of the German M42. These were around 5 - 7 years ago and still show up at gun and militaria shows occasionally. They generally run $25 - $30 ea.
I know a guy who did have 5 or 10 of these some time ago and can check on availability for you, if you're interested.
The only cheap look alike uniforms would be the east German, which would need to be dyed green to almost look right, and still would have some incorrect features. The price on these depend on the size. I would expect you would need smaller sizes which are not expensive at all. I have at least 3 or 4 of the jackets & pants to sell.
Email me at: [email protected]
Sarge

taltos

Post by taltos » 02 Jun 2004, 01:01

i know a store in conway,new hampshire that has fake ss motercycle helmats for about 5-10 bucks. you could check surplus stores for fake guns like the ones used in saveing privet ryan. like sarge said, east german stuff or get some grey shirts and pants that will look like a soldat without a tunic.

Return to “Reenactment”