Show us your helmets

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Drew Maynard

Show us your helmets

Post by Drew Maynard » 08 Dec 2005 16:03

Gents/Ladies:

An idea for another thread, let's see your custom painted/salvaged helmets (yes the ones that were neong green and blue on ebay that you repainted) and custom camo/paint jobs. For a reference for the others and for tips and tricks.

Let's note where you got it and what you did to get the final results.

Mine (which you've seen before but a thread starter)

M35, bought from GMAX in Canada. Repainted to simulate the Normandy pattern camo. It came pre-textured. Used 12 different paints from brown to red to yellow and 'sand' colour. Painted a rough camo scheme first then hand rubbed the various colours on (red traces, green etc). With a varsol dipped rag- almost dry, wiped away some of the colouring/paint to give dimension. Then with sanpaper and block of wood (no kidding) buffed and dinged the hlmet at appropriate wear points. Threw it in the back of the van for a week in a box with some screwdrivers and tools and voila. And from wearing it in the field, it's aged some more since.

Regards

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cessna

Post by Cessna » 08 Dec 2005 19:39

Damn, that's a nice looking helmet...

Richard_

Post by Richard_ » 09 Dec 2005 09:56

Good loocking helmet Drew :wink: , is GMAX a webshop or?

Best regards Richard :)

Gesetz

Post by Gesetz » 09 Dec 2005 14:56

I'll get a pic oif mine up, nothing special but yours seems so lonely, it needs the support. :P

Gesetz

Post by Gesetz » 09 Dec 2005 15:49

Ok, here it is, SD M42, with wire. I added the wire this morning, 2 coat hangers, 45 minutes and 2 bandaids later here's the result...it still needs more wear to it, a bit of rust would make it look muc better, but that will come in time. I scratched my decal putting it on :x , needs a few more layers of 'dull coat'.

I'd appreciate some feedback/criticism on it if you esteemed re-enactors wouldn't mind?

Chris Carden

Post by Chris Carden » 09 Dec 2005 19:15

Id post mine but its nothing special. Just an ordinary flat green/grey paint job, no decals and a tan bread bag strap wrapped around the top. I personally like that look.

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 10 Dec 2005 03:34

Gesetz wrote:Ok, here it is, SD M42, with wire. I added the wire this morning, 2 coat hangers, 45 minutes and 2 bandaids later here's the result...it still needs more wear to it, a bit of rust would make it look muc better, but that will come in time. I scratched my decal putting it on :x , needs a few more layers of 'dull coat'.

I'd appreciate some feedback/criticism on it if you esteemed re-enactors wouldn't mind?

Nice job! I knew it was a coat hanger before I read though, I'd try and straighten it out more on the side.

pzrwest

helmet wire

Post by pzrwest » 10 Dec 2005 03:51

What really makes for nice helmet wire is to take a drive down some back roads till you find an old pagewire fence and aquire a cpl pieces of weathered fence wire and it is a bit softer then coat hanger wire much easier to make the wraps around the other wires and really does look old. In my area there are lots of old fences that have fallen down on abandoned old farms. A tip on the hanger wire is to remove the varnish on the wire before you work with it. You can scrape it off, sand, or use some polly strippa or laquer thinner

Gesetz

Post by Gesetz » 10 Dec 2005 07:16

Good idea for fence wire, I think I might have to go do some scrounging :P. Jer, I fixed the bends, and the coating has almost all been removed. Thanks for the comments!

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 10 Dec 2005 16:48

Gesetz wrote:Good idea for fence wire, I think I might have to go do some scrounging :P. Jer, I fixed the bends, and the coating has almost all been removed. Thanks for the comments!

Richard, I know where to find that stuff if you ever need any.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 12 Dec 2005 15:51

a little off topic- regarding the ageing of metal bits, such as wire- there's a product for model trains and modelling in general that's a blue acidic based liquid, that people use to antiquate train tracks and rust wire (which i used to good effect last winter). it blues etc the wire and allows it to rust in areas as well. i have a bottle at home if anyone is interested in the name.

For wire, in general, if you're going the 'coat hanger' method, snip the ends off and roll it around (the wire) a cylindircal surface, to straigthten it out, then apply it to the helmet,, it will better mould to the shape of it. Try hooking it at the part in the helmet where it drops down from the front brim and once from the back, it will sit quite nicely.

will try and find some pics of mine.

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 12 Dec 2005 18:19

I am getting my M40 redone by Grigsby Militaria.

Stp Corbiere

Post by Stp Corbiere » 26 Jan 2006 21:36

Here you go guys, my new Helmet which i just got for my birthday :lol: Now i think its a? & quote me if iam wrong a M42 model?
Cheers Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goalie32

Post by goalie32 » 07 Feb 2006 06:24

Here's my M40 done in an Ostfront scheme.

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 07 Feb 2006 09:31

Question
Why would one leave a decal showing on a camo helmet? The first picture shows you the effect of leaving the decal.... If it was obscured by paint then the camo would work much better.

Return to “Reenactment”