Show us your helmets

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
c_hoff82

Re: Show us your helmets

Post by c_hoff82 » 11 Oct 2009, 00:01

Erich Johann wrote:Has anybody used Pirschen's helmets in the field? And how do they compare to originals?
I have used my M42 helmet during airsoft games, but I am using a helmet cover so the paint has not been exposed to dirt and scraches.
But the hooks on the helmet cover have scratched off the paint on the helmet where they are fastened.

Apart from that, the helmet is very nice.

C. Hoff

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 04 Apr 2010, 20:26

Erich Johann wrote:Has anybody used Pirschen's helmets in the field? And how do they compare to originals?
Anybody else?

FriedrichBremen

Post by FriedrichBremen » 05 Apr 2010, 02:41

I purchased an M42 Helmet from Pirschen because of some the "positive" comments I've heard. The helmet did not fit me, despite the ebay auction saying that they fit up to 60cm head, I wear a 68 shell with a 60-61 liner, the repro helmet from Pirschen is a size 66 shell with a 58 liner. I sent the helmet back. The paint wasn't the best and would need to be redone, also the edges of the helmet were rather rough (as in kinda jagged), more so than an original and the shape of the visor wasn't as crisp and smooth as an original. The weight difference was also very noticeable from an original.

Stick with buying an original, they are getting expensive these days, but you can't beat an original.
Friedrich Bremen

nihil

Post by nihil » 05 Apr 2010, 11:26

I got an original very late production helmet with rougher features than a Pirschen M42. The ventilation holes are for example misaligned with several cm on one side - no reenactor would ever want accept that, only the imagined superior products of the third reich.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 05 Apr 2010, 17:34

FriedrichBremen wrote:I purchased an M42 Helmet from Pirschen because of some the "positive" comments I've heard. The helmet did not fit me, despite the ebay auction saying that they fit up to 60cm head, I wear a 68 shell with a 60-61 liner, the repro helmet from Pirschen is a size 66 shell with a 58 liner. I sent the helmet back. The paint wasn't the best and would need to be redone, also the edges of the helmet were rather rough (as in kinda jagged), more so than an original and the shape of the visor wasn't as crisp and smooth as an original. The weight difference was also very noticeable from an original.

Stick with buying an original, they are getting expensive these days, but you can't beat an original.
Thanks for the information. I guess there's no way around an original--otherwise, there are too many shortcomings and compromises.

m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot » 05 Apr 2010, 18:00

Erich Johann wrote:
FriedrichBremen wrote:I purchased an M42 Helmet from Pirschen because of some the "positive" comments I've heard. The helmet did not fit me, despite the ebay auction saying that they fit up to 60cm head, I wear a 68 shell with a 60-61 liner, the repro helmet from Pirschen is a size 66 shell with a 58 liner. I sent the helmet back. The paint wasn't the best and would need to be redone, also the edges of the helmet were rather rough (as in kinda jagged), more so than an original and the shape of the visor wasn't as crisp and smooth as an original. The weight difference was also very noticeable from an original.

Thanks for the information. I guess there's no way around an original--otherwise, there are too many shortcomings and compromises.
I would disagree with the poster-

The helmets are the exact same ones as Spearhead, they are 66 sized shells for a 58-59cm head. The weight is comparable with M42's I've held and owned.

Paint wasn't the best but just hit it with some texture and 1944's paint, presto- perfect. Edges in my experience have been OK, and originals sometimes have pretty wavy "flare" in the back. All in all they compare well. If you're expecting a "perfect" late-war M42 shell, you're fantasizing. A friend of mine owns an original M42 shell where one vent hole is a CM or two above the other one, with alot of waviness on the flare.
Take it easy~, ゆっくりしていってね!!!

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 06 Apr 2010, 00:40

Here is a late war reworked helmet which was sold as a ckl66, though the markings are not legible because it was stamped so lightly. Note the vent hole. http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/8221470/sn ... ed+019.jpg

The Spearhead M42 helmet that I've handled was lighter in weight but this could be due to an earlier run - I really don't know.
Brendan

m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot » 06 Apr 2010, 02:48

Brendan Hunt wrote:Here is a late war reworked helmet which was sold as a ckl66, though the markings are not legible because it was stamped so lightly. Note the vent hole. http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/8221470/sn ... ed+019.jpg

The Spearhead M42 helmet that I've handled was lighter in weight but this could be due to an earlier run - I really don't know.
The Spearhead M42's I've held have been within an acceptable weight. Possibly a little bit lighter, but nothing dramatic. I think the newer runs are fine.

FriedrichBremen

Post by FriedrichBremen » 06 Apr 2010, 03:14

m1steelpot wrote: I would disagree with the poster-

The helmets are the exact same ones as Spearhead, they are 66 sized shells for a 58-59cm head. The weight is comparable with M42's I've held and owned.

Paint wasn't the best but just hit it with some texture and 1944's paint, presto- perfect. Edges in my experience have been OK, and originals sometimes have pretty wavy "flare" in the back. All in all they compare well. If you're expecting a "perfect" late-war M42 shell, you're fantasizing. A friend of mine owns an original M42 shell where one vent hole is a CM or two above the other one, with alot of waviness on the flare.
Perhaps that's why I'm not rushing off to Spearhead...

I've held quite a few original M42 helmets, enough be to familiar with their various deficiencies. I'm not advocating that German helmets were perfect in any way, but that repro helmet was sub-par in my opinion and the weight was noticeable compared with the originals I've held and owned. Fact is, I'd rather own a piece of crap genuine original than a piece of crap Chinese repro with $00 resale value.
Friedrich Bremen

m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot » 06 Apr 2010, 13:37

Understood- I use an original shell as well.

Though I recently reworked a postwar M40/55 Helmet (made for Finland) into something usable for WWII. The ones without extra holes drilled for the Finnish-made liner are just unmarked postwar M40's. If I had a camera I'd post the repaint I did on it.

Hessen was selling these awhile ago, am I the only one who has picked one up? My M40 has a nice small & shallow dent in the crown. I like it- gives my helmet character.

FriedrichBremen wrote:
m1steelpot wrote: I would disagree with the poster-

Perhaps that's why I'm not rushing off to Spearhead...

I've held quite a few original M42 helmets, enough be to familiar with their various deficiencies. I'm not advocating that German helmets were perfect in any way, but that repro helmet was sub-par in my opinion and the weight was noticeable compared with the originals I've held and owned. Fact is, I'd rather own a piece of crap genuine original than a piece of crap Chinese repro with $00 resale value.

Byelogvardetza

Post by Byelogvardetza » 07 Apr 2010, 05:16

I had an asian repro at one time, but unloaded it as fast as possible. same with the Finnish model. Now I have a couple of M35's, several M40's, and one lone 42. Nothing can match an original. Even my wife who knows nothing about german helmets says that an original looks " different" and "better" than the repops. She also says my collecting is an 'addiction' but we wont go there.
I also like the repro liners out of Czechoslovakia. I have a couple from Vit, but there is another guy who has even better ones....I'll try to find his info and post it here. Add a little Obernauers leather conditioner and its a done deal.

Panzerbusche

Post by Panzerbusche » 07 Apr 2010, 17:45

Well, here is few pictures of my M40 helmet, real german shell witch I sandblasted and got repainted by http://germanhelmetsinc.com/ and then I put in a Czech made liner. I have applied a SS decal on it and then sanded it to make it look a little more worn. Used it for a few years and now it`s a perfect fit on my head, love it :wink:

By the way, how do you guys paint your names in the neck of the helmet? Small brush or something else? Can`t seem to get it right

Panzerbusche

Post by Panzerbusche » 09 Apr 2010, 16:20

Panzerbusche wrote:By the way, how do you guys paint your names in the neck of the helmet? Small brush or something else? Can`t seem to get it right
I did some experimenting with a small cut off paint brush and some white paint yesterday and got a pretty good result painting my surname in the neck.
To darken the very matt green M35 helmet I used a shoe shining brush and some black shoe polish and really worked for a hour or so to make the helmet a little darker and, now it looks very nice!

Also used the shoe brush after it had been used on the helmet with the very little black shoe polish left on on the chin strap and, the it now have a nice rounded edge istead of the square cut look from the factory.

The I treated liner leather with some old US army shoe imprenation fat/grease and, really worked it in to the leather using a piece of cotton cloth. Turned out very auctentic and not overdone :)

Finished M35 helmet:

M40 helmet with newly added surname in the neck:

Byelogvardetza

Post by Byelogvardetza » 10 Apr 2010, 05:05

Nice! here are a few of mine

c_hoff82

Post by c_hoff82 » 10 Apr 2010, 10:53

Panzerbusche wrote:Well, here is few pictures of my M40 helmet, real german shell witch I sandblasted and got repainted by http://germanhelmetsinc.com/
I have a M35 helmet I bougth 10++ years ago. It was sandblasted when I got it and it still has its original liner.
I think I migth try the paint service provided by the www.germanhelmetsinc.com
Your resault looks great.

C. Hoff

Return to “Reenactment”