Vosstraße / Wilhelmstraße

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Maurice Laarman

Re: Vosstraße / Wilhelmstraße

Post by Maurice Laarman » 13 Aug 2011 21:45

There is an interesting video showin the bunker of the Transport Ministry building, starting here at 04:10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_qCGLn89Y

Kind regards,

Maurice

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 28 Aug 2011 23:02

You can make out Goebbels' villa here:
http://www.rafmuseumphotos.com/raf_armo ... 57617.html
if I'm not mistaken.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 30 Aug 2011 01:04

The photo is taken from the western side of the Brandenburg Gate, from a position just to the north, looking south down Ebertstraße. Here is the photo and an aerial view of the same scene. The position of the photographer is marked X. The Gate is A, and the gatehouse next to it is B. The building south of that is C. This is now the site of the US Embassy, so I assume that is the "back" of the US Embassy built in 1932 (It's "front" was on Pariser Platz.). The building D would appear to be the Goebbels villa on Behrenstraße, although it looks more like an office block than a villa. I assume the facade visible in the distance at right is the Reich Chancellery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 31 Aug 2011 07:25

In this 1940 photo (Hitler's car has just passed through the Brandenburg Gate) we can see Goebbels's villa at right, with its roof still on. I've been trying to find a photo of the Ebertstrasse facade of the 1932 US Embassy to see if this is indeed it, but I can't find one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 04 Oct 2011 04:12

The same view today, from Google street view. The new Ebertstraße facade of the US Embassy seems to extend further south than the old one did, and I think that's because the line of the postwar Behrenstraße is a bit to the south of the prewar one.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 11 Oct 2011 00:31

I'm pretty sure that Behrenstraße did not intersect with Hermann Göringstraße before the war. It stopped either at the Wilhelmstraße or outside the Adlon. I'll check my maps.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 11 Oct 2011 05:39

Yes, that appears to be so. So Goebbels' villa must have been directly across from the southern end of the US Embassy.
Last edited by Adam Carr on 12 Oct 2011 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 11 Oct 2011 08:37

I just got back from Berlin two days ago and had a look at the possible site myself. I'm guessing that Goebbel's villa was approximately on the corner of Behrenstraße and Ebertstraße where the Jewish memorial is today. I believe this is where the artifacts from Goebbels bunker were found when the area was being cleared for the memorial.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 12 Oct 2011 03:42

No, as this photo shows, I think site of the villa is now on the north side of Behrenstrasse (red line), which puts it under the pavement in front of the southern end of the new US Embassy building. I believe the shell of Goebbels' bunker is under Behrenstrasse.

BERLINVOSS

Post by BERLINVOSS » 16 Oct 2011 19:51

Hi
very interesting thead any more?

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 17 Oct 2011 08:27

I'm thinking of doing a thread with photos of every building on Wilhelmstrasse, as they are now and as they were before the war, with commentary on the history of each site along the street. Would that be of interest?

Cor

Post by Cor » 17 Oct 2011 15:42

I as originally topicstarter did make the topic also for that. So bring them on.

Im still looking for a better pic of Hess HQ on the wilhelmstrasse before 1945. I found one small pic on the web and never found any better. Do you have a good image of the building before 1945 Adam?

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 18 Oct 2011 00:29

I will have a look this evening.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 18 Oct 2011 07:51

I was in the Transport Building three weeks ago and saw a young couple renovating part of it for what appeared to be a boutique. Photos will follow as soon as I can download them. The bad news however is that the non-DDR apartment side of Voss Strasse is being heavily developed and the transport building looks very much out of place. Hopefully wise heads will prevent its demolition.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 19 Oct 2011 05:06

Happily, Google Earth Street View has uploaded new photos of Voss-strasse, which seem to have been taken this (northern) summer. These show that the development of the southern side of the street (on the Kaufhaus Wertheim site) has progressed considerably since I was there in January. Does anyone know what is being built there? I was told by the gatekeeper of the carpark on the other side of the street that it will be a shopping centre.

The photos also show that the Transport Ministry building is indeed increasingly conspicuous as the rest of the south side of Voss-strasse is cleared. The building appears to be structurally sound and capable of redevelopment, and it would be a pity if it were to be demolished since it is the last surviving element of the government precinct that once occupied the street.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”