Carinhall Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Makarov

Re: Carinhall Thread

Post by Makarov » 13 Aug 2017, 09:09

I have never entered Carinhall Bunker/tunnel myself, only stood outside looking at that tiny hole where I was suppose to squeeze in. There I realized that it wasn't worth the risk finding myself trapped inside. But for those who is looking for Carinhall hardcore experience I guess a tiny hole won't stop them.

Pictures taken by me in August 2013.

The entrance in the first picture can be found behind Carinhall on the slope facing lake Döllnsee.
1.jpg
Entrance
1.jpg (193.24 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
2.jpg
Just inside entrance
2.jpg (127.71 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Here is a interesting film (not by me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd6bX4Yu-8k

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 13 Aug 2017, 22:22

Many thanks, Makarov...though I certainly agree with you that squeezing into that entrance hole does not appear to be something I'd do, either! And thanks, too, for providing the youtube link to a video of someone who did squeeze into that hole and apparently recorded every square foot of what is down there now. And from what he recorded for us to see, there's really no reason why anyone would want to go down there -- having visited the tunnels below the Zum Türken Hotel in Obersalzberg, which are restored and well-maintained (at least they were when I was there in 1999), I see no reason for going down into the depths of Carinhall, other than just to say that I had been there! There's only so much poured concrete, steel reinforcement rods and cracked and water-damaged plaster that anyone should need to see! But again, thanks very much for your most interesting response.

Br. James

Mister S

Post by Mister S » 18 Aug 2017, 11:10

I have heard that the bunkers are very extensive under the Carinhall area. Any ideas what the underground complex still somewhat easily accessible was used for? Hopefully I will get the chance to explore sometime, although I would be very scared of the bats!

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 18 Aug 2017, 13:56

Mister S wrote:Any ideas what the underground complex still somewhat easily accessible was used for?
It was probably used for storage and shelter and perhaps as a shortcut down to the lake. Can´t recall that I have heard or read anything else.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 18 Aug 2017, 21:49

I have read that it was Gòring's intention to link his house to the tunnel complex connecting the Berghof, Bormann's house, the Zum Türken and possibly the SS barracks at the top of the hill, but Bormann would not permit the tunneling to be completed. Bormann was jealous of Göring and he wanted to subtly show Göring that HE was the master of the "Obersalzberg Administration!" Pettiness knows no bounds!

Br. James

Max

Post by Max » 18 Aug 2017, 22:16

Makarov wrote:
Mister S wrote:Any ideas what the underground complex still somewhat easily accessible was used for?
It was probably used for storage and shelter and perhaps as a shortcut down to the lake. Can´t recall that I have heard or read anything else.
More Carinhall goodies here [German]

https://web.archive.org/web/20030408085 ... nhall.html
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 19 Aug 2017, 09:13

Br. James wrote:I have read that it was Gòring's intention to link his house to the tunnel complex connecting the Berghof, Bormann's house, the Zum Türken and possibly the SS barracks at the top of the hill, but Bormann would not permit the tunneling to be completed. Bormann was jealous of Göring and he wanted to subtly show Göring that HE was the master of the "Obersalzberg Administration!" Pettiness knows no bounds!
Yes, but this has nothing to do with Carinhall in Schorfheide north of Berlin. Bormann had no influence or power to do anything with Carinhall, it was Göring's sphere from day one til the end and he could do whatever he wanted to do.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 19 Aug 2017, 16:47

You're absolutely right, Makarov! My mind had obviously jumped from Carinhall to the Obersalzberg and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused!

Br. James

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 19 Sep 2017, 22:28

Which kind of guards guarded the perimeter and entrance of Carinhall ?
Luftwaffe troops ?
Thanks.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Fischreiher

Post by Fischreiher » 16 Jan 2022, 04:23

Can somebody identify the building in the background?
Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-17986,_Schorfheide,_Lord_Edward_Frederik_Halifax,_Hermann_Göring.jpg
Lord Halifax and Göring in the Schorfheide, November 20, 1937, photographed by Georg Pahl, Bundesarchiv, Bild 102-17986 / CC-BY-SA 3.0

scttmccly512

Post by scttmccly512 » 18 Jan 2023, 19:42

All of this is very interesting information! I wish there was a labeled layout for Carinhall. I have a friend who excavated the site back in the early 90's and came across this silverware that had been left behind. I've had them looked over by Wellner and other silverware experts and the time period with the proofs line up, but I cannot seem to get an idea on the monograms/initials on the handles. Yannes doesn't have anything listed with the markings in the books, and I'm familiar with Göring's COA on his handles. Just wondering who these could have potentially belonged to before the place became ruins.
Attachments
M703-2.jpeg
M703-3.jpeg
M703-5.jpeg

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”