Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CPB

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Postby CPB » 06 Dec 2017 18:04

Thanks Geoff!

Br. James

Postby Br. James » 06 Dec 2017 19:22

At first glance this photo does give the impression of Hitler sitting in the old living room of Haus Wachenfeld, either as it looked prior to the major construction which created the Berghof and enveloped Haus Wachenfeld, or after that period of renovation, for the old living room remained essentially the same, with wainscoting and built-in benches along the wall. But the window arrangement is completely different in that living room, before as well as after the new construction. I don't know where this photo was taken, Geoff, but it wasn't in the Berghof/Haus Wachenfeld.

Warmest wishes to you, my friend,

Br. James

Annelie

Postby Annelie » 06 Dec 2017 19:40

I don't believe it would be Wachenfeld as I doubt very much he would have the cross
sitting in the corner?

Could it be one of the small restaurents he frequented while on some of his
walks around the area? Remember reading he had his favourites. The decoration
theme seems in keeping with those small places that I have noticed on my travels
around there.

atobersalzberg

Postby atobersalzberg » 06 Dec 2017 22:03

Hi all,

I believe the photo was taken in Gasthof Vorderbrand, as Geoff mentioned.

Best wishes,

Tom

http://www.gasthof-vorderbrand.de/gasthaus.html

TC.jpg

007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geoff Walden

Postby Geoff Walden » 06 Dec 2017 22:46

I'm leaning that way as well, Tom. Here is a photo of that corner in Vorderbrand from a 1941 book. Maybe not a perfect match to the AH photo, but that photo could have been taken in the main room at Vorderbrand, maybe (if you go check, tell Karla I said "hi" again). :milwink:
(Or did you tell me that she is at Hochlenzer now?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

atobersalzberg

Postby atobersalzberg » 07 Dec 2017 19:51

Hi Geoff,

Yes, the photo looks like a good match to me!

Karla is now at Hochlenzer bringing her usual charm! I'll see her again soon and will pass on your greetings. :wink:

Best,

Tom

CPB

Postby CPB » 08 Dec 2017 17:07

Nice detective work...thanks!

Br. James

Postby Br. James » 10 Dec 2017 21:13

Maybe it's ME, but there are some very slight differences between the first photo Tom presented -- Hitler sitting at the corner table looking at some photos or a magazine, in the mid-1930s -- and the other two photos. The table and chairs in each of the three photos are different. The shelf on which the crucifix sits is mounted lower toward the wainscoting molding in the Hitler photo than it is in the modern color photo, and the crucifix itself is different between the Hitler and the color photo. The third photo's corner display is too dark to see what's there and what isn't. The ceiling lighting fixture is different in all three photos. And both of the windowsills sit on top of the wainscoting molding in the first and the third photo, though the windowsill behind where Hitler would have been sitting in the color photo has been raised up from atop the wainscoting molding.

Just some observations...! Cheers, friends,

Br. James

Annelie

Postby Annelie » 10 Dec 2017 22:37

Br. James,

This morning that is exactly what I thought...the wainscoting either had changed or was not the
same place. I did an online search and found a place that looked liked it fit better but then I had
to leave and I have now spent some time trying to find where I found the other photo.

Of course many of the places all have the same similar theme. If I find it again I will post.
I didn't want to post because usually I am incorrect :-)

tschüss

Customs are alive and well in Berchtesgaden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_qOH8GCA2w

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”