Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Feb 2018, 20:10

The most, I guess, would be Hamburg - there will be a whole new section on Hamburg. Eventually. Also have lots of update photos for Nordhausen/Mittelwerk, REIMAHG, Reichsadlers, Auschwitz, Nürnberg, and (of course) the Obersalzberg. These are photos from about 2014-2016, that I've just not had a chance yet to post.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 13 Feb 2018, 15:58

Hi!

After watching the video "Life of Adolf Hitler Tour ..., Then and Now..." Geoff mentioned, I remembered my vacation in 2016. With my family i was also at the Obersee and we took many pictures. And in the video I noticed a photo showing Hitler in front of a stone at the Obersee. I searched my photos and found exactly the same stone. So I also had to take a picture then and now. :D

Thank you for sharing this video! It was a perfect memory for our vacation. I immediately had the wonderful smell of the beautiful summer days in my nose. :)

Regards
Attachments
IMG_8337_2_Montage_20180209_74dpi.jpg
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Biber

Post by Biber » 15 Feb 2018, 15:38

Well that's freaky. Talk about foto bomb!!

Archipelego

Post by Archipelego » 20 Feb 2018, 01:02

Hi all,

Looking through this topic, I came across the attached photo of the Berghof interior. What interested me was the section in the foreground I've highlighted in red. Specifically the side table and the tableware on in.
Berghof Picture.JPG
Berghof Picture.JPG (106.04 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
A couple of years ago, I purchased a plate off the ebay US site. The seller advised the plate came from the Berghof. The provenance was that the item was purchased in an auction along with other matching plates and a cup and saucer set. These items were originally brought back by army veteran Robert Anderson who was a Second Lieutenant in the 10th Field Artillery Signal Corps attached to the US 3rd division.

Now, I've always took this story with a pinch of salt. I didn't pay over the odds for the plate so thought what the hey. However, the plate in the picture from the Berghof interior looks very similar in design to the one I have.
plate1.jpg
plate1.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Just wondered what people thoughts were.

Jon

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 20 Feb 2018, 01:33

News from Berchtesgaden, from our friend Ralf ... after many years of abandonment, plunder, and decay, the Hotel Geiger is being torn down.

https://www.bgland24.de/bgland/region-b ... 76748.html

Some photos of the Geiger in years past. The hand painted panels on the inside, dated 1935, disappeared a few years ago, victims of the unchecked plundering of the premises that was allowed to go on after the hotel was closed.

In the final days of WW2, Luftwaffe commanders and staff were located at the Geiger, which had been a Luftwaffe R&R site, and there was a tunnel system built into the hillside behind for air raid protection (the tunnel system is filled in and sealed today).
Attachments
geiger05c.jpg
geiger09trip1.jpg
geiger09trip19.jpg

CPB

Post by CPB » 20 Feb 2018, 15:50

Archipelego wrote:Hi all,

Looking through this topic, I came across the attached photo of the Berghof interior. What interested me was the section in the foreground I've highlighted in red. Specifically the side table and the tableware on in.

Berghof Picture.JPG

A couple of years ago, I purchased a plate off the ebay US site. The seller advised the plate came from the Berghof. The provenance was that the item was purchased in an auction along with other matching plates and a cup and saucer set. These items were originally brought back by army veteran Robert Anderson who was a Second Lieutenant in the 10th Field Artillery Signal Corps attached to the US 3rd division.

Now, I've always took this story with a pinch of salt. I didn't pay over the odds for the plate so thought what the hey. However, the plate in the picture from the Berghof interior looks very similar in design to the one I have.

plate1.jpg

Just wondered what people thoughts were.

Jon
I've been watching the guy who sells this and other "Berghof porcelain" peddle his wares for years on eBay and the militaria auctions. I even messaged him once telling him to stop. Of course, he just carried on.

He's sold just about every piece from every set of white and gold porcelain known to man – claiming it came from the Berghof, and showing photos of it in the Berghof and a photo of a random GI.

None of it's real – it's just a scam. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, his ebay handle is 4762micheals

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 20 Feb 2018, 18:05

An interesting situation, Jon! Is it possible to see a photo of the reverse of your dinner plate? If yours is "the real McCoy," it would be helpful to know what to look for on the reverse, such as a maker's mark, the designer's name or initials, or any other information that could help collectors know what is real and what is fake.

Cheers, and your example is certainly a beautiful pattern!

Br. James

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 20 Feb 2018, 18:08

Sad to see this loss, Geoff, but it is apparent that no one has wanted to commit to restoring this building or even to cutting the weeds around it. So goes the world...!

Thanks for this update, my friend,

Br. James

headwest

Post by headwest » 20 Feb 2018, 19:37

Thanks Geoff.

Really just wanted to compliment you on the page, that after all these years is still such a standard bearer for great content.

Thanks for the tip to on traveling. I am really excited about coming over. Hopefully not for the last time either. If i get the time I would like to see Berlin, Berchtesgaden, Frankfurt and Munich, as well as head into where the Bulge sites are and maybe Normandy.

G.K.

Post by G.K. » 20 Feb 2018, 20:56

I have the original photo. I bought it on ebay back then. The photos were taken by the Americans at Obersalzberg and I have a picture of them.
Attachments
IMG_20170816_0001_F.jpg
20180220_194647_.jpg

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 21 Feb 2018, 00:11

Great original photo - thanks for posting! (much better than my copy) :).
Do you have an exact date for this photo?
EDIT -- I forgot I have a copy of the original US Army print, which shows the date as 1 June 1945.

G.K.

Post by G.K. » 21 Feb 2018, 20:49

I liked to do that. :)
unfortunately you can not upload the original photo size.
If I walk there, I still see some bomb craters that I see in the photo.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 21 Feb 2018, 22:49

A great photo, G.K. -- many thanks for sharing it with us! I wonder whether this photo was taken as part of a panarama of the Obersalzberg Administration, with at least one more photo covering Göring's and Bormann's houses to the left and the Berghof area to the right?

A truly exciting photo!

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Feb 2018, 00:03

I love searching these 1945 aerial photos for little details ... like Moll Bunkers (circled in red; did I miss any?), tunnel entrances/exits (green), and the elevated beginning part of Hitler's walkway to the Mooslahnerkopf Teehaus (yellow).

The blue circle marks what looks like a Moll Bunker in some photos (but I don't see it in this one), that may have been beside or behind the Tuerken road gate, on the other side of the road from the little guard house. Not sure if this object was a Moll Bunker, although there is a Moll Bunker door in that general area today - a little uphill from there, hidden in the weeds.

Before I started looking at this photo, I never noticed what looks like a Moll Bunker between the Tuerken and the Berghof east wing. I have never seen any remains of that one (if it's a Moll Bunker indeed) in that area today, but I have never searched there specifically for Moll Bunker pieces.
Attachments
OSB1jun1945details.jpg

G.K.

Post by G.K. » 22 Feb 2018, 19:52

There was another picture. from the same plane of americans.
I could have bought that from the same ebay seller. Unfortunately, another one bought it.
on the other photo you can see well Hitler's way he has always gone.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”