Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Br. James

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Br. James » 11 Mar 2018, 21:53

I've never heard of this new book either, but Amazon says it's due out on September 2, 2018. Just the kind of thing I like to read! Thanks for informing us of this new volume, Makarov! Cheers,

Br. James

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 12 Mar 2018, 12:39

headwest wrote: What is the status of the garage at this point? is it still intact under the rubble?
Hi headwest,

according to my information the garage is still intact but completely spilled. It was visible for a long time and could even be entered through a hole. The garage was already topic here in the thread and there were some photos:

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 5#p1740727

To be able to recognize the height levels i found a photo in the collection of Harry von Gebhardt, where you can see that well. You can see today's retaining wall in the background and on the right side next to the panorama window you can see the garage.
Attachments
Bild 3k jpg.jpg
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Mar 2018, 14:48

The garage was removed in October 1995, after the US Army left. There exists a film of this, taken by someone who was a guest at the Türken at the time, but I've never been able to get a copy of it. They apparently did leave the back wall of the garage, but the area where the garage had been was filled with rubble, so that it now forms part of the slope.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

headwest

Post by headwest » 12 Mar 2018, 15:27

Cool, thanks for the info, and for this picture. Such an interesting topic. Thanks!

One last question if I can

In some very recent pics you still see some of the stones in the retaining wall, I take it those are still the original wall? and there was a video somewhere of someone touring the site and they show some paved parts and claim its still from the original driveway? if i can find it i will try and link it but is parts of the original paved driveway then still visible as well?

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 12 Mar 2018, 18:14

A fascinating study of this historic site -- countless thanks to Geoff and to all who contribute to our better understanding of it!

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Mar 2018, 19:37

My pleasure! I just can't give current updates, as I don't live in Germany anymore. :(
But fortunately for us, there are others on this thread who live and work right there
:milwink: :thumbsup:
Yes, the few stones seen lining the driveway at the bottom are original. That is, I don't believe they have replaced any that have been stolen. The rest are buried and so still preserved.
And indeed there is some of the original asphalt (tarmac) of the drive exposed, but this is disappearing little by little. But most is still preserved by being buried (all that rubble and fill IS good for something!).

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 13 Mar 2018, 14:18

Geoff Walden wrote:The garage was removed in October 1995, after the US Army left. There exists a film of this, taken by someone who was a guest at the Türken at the time, but I've never been able to get a copy of it. They apparently did leave the back wall of the garage, but the area where the garage had been was filled with rubble, so that it now forms part of the slope.
Didn't know that, thanks for the clarification!
Geoff Walden wrote:But fortunately for us, there are others on this thread who live and work right there
I live in Germany, but unfortunately too far away from Berchtesgaden. :( But from year to year I like to go there on vacation, because it is a wonderful place!
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Mar 2018, 15:07

Makarov wrote:
2 - This one seems interesting. Release is scheduled later this year.
staff.jpg
Thanks for the news! It will be nice to have all three of these together in English. Doehring's book is especially good.

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 13 Mar 2018, 21:32

Lets not forget that some stones of the Berghof's garage where reused to build the roadside "Wegmacher" chapel. (situated between Bayerisch Gmain and Bischofswiesen on the way to Berchtesgaden, Bavaria).
Attachments
Chapel1.jpg
Chapel1.jpg (109.39 KiB) Viewed 11971 times
Chapel2.jpg
Chapel3.jpg

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Mar 2018, 23:47

I know there was a research project going on, to match any of these stones to photos of the Berghof garage (not that there is any serious doubt that's where these stones came from, as the chapel builder initially stated that), but I don't know the outcome of this study.

Anyway, here is the Wegmacher Kapelle location, although you can't see it in the shadow of the trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2 ... 12.9270329

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Mar 2018, 02:32

Has anyone seen this book? Apparently, a great deal of it is about the Obersalzberg. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be the sort of book that might appeal to me, but I haven't seen the whole thing, just quotes.

Brett Ashley Kaplan
Landscapes of Holocaust Postmemory, NY: Routledge, 2011

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 14 Mar 2018, 10:26

Never heard of this book Geoff, found it on a dutch book sale site (bol.com) but at a price of over 120.- euro, i think i will pass on that.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 14 Mar 2018, 15:15

There are many copies of this book available via Bookfinder.com, beginning at about $45.00 for a new copy. Here is the Barnes & Noble description:

"How do the spaces of the past stay with us through representations-whether literary or photographic? How has the Holocaust registered in our increasingly globally connected consciousness? What does it mean that this European event is often used as an interpretive or representational touchstone for genocides and traumas globally? In this interdisciplinary study, Kaplan asks and attempts to answer these questions by looking at historically and geographically diverse spaces, photographs, and texts concerned with the physical and/or mental landscape of the Holocaust and its transformations from the postwar period to the early twenty-first century. Examining the intersections of landscape, postmemory, and trauma, Kaplan's text offers a significant contribution to our understanding of the spatial, visual, and literary reach of the Holocaust."

There are apparently photos included in this work, though whether they would include the Berghof and the Obersalzberg Administration is not certain. Hope this is helpful.

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 19 Apr 2018, 20:34

Can anyone help me pinpoint the location of the Berghof telephone switchboard?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 20 Apr 2018, 19:31

Hi Chris,

The telephone switchboard that handled Berghof calls was in the Tuerken.

The Berghof tunnel also had its own switchboard from 1944-on, located in Bauteil B.

Geoff

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”