The Munich Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Makarov

Re: The Munich Thread

Post by Makarov » 20 Apr 2018, 20:32

Going to Munich in mid May and wonder if the former infantry school on Blutenburgstrasse 3 where the Hitler-Ludendorff trial took place in 1924 still exist?

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 20 Apr 2018, 22:02

The short answer appears to be NO. I checked online, Googling the "Blutenburgstrasse 3, Munich" address, and obtained a very nice, interactive view of the street in both directions. What is located at that address now is a fairly modern school, situated in a park. The construction looks to be from the 1960s. The buildings across the street from the old infantry school look like they were probably present at the time of the 1924 trial.

Take a look online; I'm sure you can find this location. And do enjoy your trip!

Br. James

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 21 Apr 2018, 09:33

Br. James wrote:The short answer appears to be NO
Just what I suspected, I was hoping for something hidden which can't be seen from street view, piece of foundation, wall fragment or something like that. Still i'm going there just to have closer look or for just being close to history.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 21 Apr 2018, 19:59

I'm sure I would do the very same thing! You can never tell what may be left after a massive demolition and rebuilding effort like this new school appears to be. Happy hunting, and if you do find something, I'm sure you'll let us all know about it!

Br. James

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 22 Apr 2018, 15:42

Br. James wrote:I'm sure I would do the very same thing! You can never tell what may be left after a massive demolition and rebuilding effort like this new school appears to be. Happy hunting, and if you do find something, I'm sure you'll let us all know about it!
I guess a middle age man walking around alone in a school yard wouldn't look suspicious at all :D

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 22 Apr 2018, 20:33

I certainly get your point, but if I had the opportunity to visit Munich again, I wouldn't lose any sleep about what it might look like for a middle-aged -- or in my case, an old man -- walking around in a school yard! Opportunities to visit historic sites such as these happen far too infrequently to worry about what people might think!

I recall my visit to Munich in 1999 when I walked over to the Königsplatz and into the music school that now occupies the Führerbau. it was mid-day and the building had classes in session in some of the rooms, but I didn't want to miss a moment of being there! I walked right into Hitler's Office and, though he wasn't there at the time, there were a couple of people sitting in that room but they didn't speak to me and I didn't speak to them! For them it may have been one odd day, but for me it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I refused to be daunted!

Happy trails,

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 22 Apr 2018, 23:01

If you're staying in Munich, Makarov, a 30 minute train trip will get you to Bad Tolz. The SS Junkerschule is worth a look.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 26 Apr 2018, 09:40

Mannheim wrote:If you're staying in Munich, Makarov, a 30 minute train trip will get you to Bad Tolz. The SS Junkerschule is worth a look.
Yes, but not with train, by car, and not just Bad Tölz. My plan is also to visit hotel Lederer, former kurheim Hanselbauer, hopefully it hasn't yet been torned down. Reichssiedlung Rudolf Heß in Pullach im Isartal is also on my radar.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 22 May 2018, 20:07

Br. James wrote:I'm sure I would do the very same thing! You can never tell what may be left after a massive demolition and rebuilding effort like this new school appears to be. Happy hunting, and if you do find something, I'm sure you'll let us all know about it!
The whole school was fenced in so it could only be seen from the outside.

Beside Munich I also visited Bad Wiessee and Bad Tölz.

Hotel Lederer (former pension Hanselbauer) is in desperately need to be renovated but as we speak the owner doesn't know whether the hotel will be raised to the ground or not.

Bad Tölz, great to see that most of the buildings still stands, less good that it nowadays is a commercial area.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 22 May 2018, 22:24

Good information, Makarov...any photos?

Cheers,

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 23 May 2018, 02:26

I too would be keen to see some more recent photos of the Hotel Lederer. Here are some I took in 2010. Since I can only post three photos at a time, I'll post a Dropbox link to some photos of Bad Tolz taken the same year when I get time if anyone's interested.
Attachments
L7.jpg
L6.jpg
L4.jpg

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 23 May 2018, 20:40

Below Pictures were taken 180514. You can really se the difference between my Pictures of Hotel Lederer and Mannheim Pictures.
At Blutenburgstrasse 3 (Site of Hitler-Ludendorffprozess) there is really nothing to be seen beside the fenced of elementary school.
bw.jpg
Hotel Lederer
baw.jpg
Hotel Lederer
bt.jpg
Bad Tölz, Shopping mall in the middle of the former barracks yard. The former School's main entrance can be seen in the middle left
bb.jpg
School at Blutenburgstrasse 3, Munich

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 24 May 2018, 00:21

The lack of maintenance at the Hotel Lederer is a bad sign.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 24 May 2018, 16:55

I agree, sadly. It seems to be the normal process for "unwanted" buildings, Berchtesgaden-style: let the place deteriorate to the point that it is not economical to refurbish, then demolish it. Problem solved.
The Hotel Lederer looked really bad when I was there in 2016. Actual disrepair and deterioration, beyond just neglect. I doubt that it has long to last.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 25 May 2018, 00:40

The Admin block at the Bad Tolz Junkerschule was looking pretty second-hand in 2010 too and this was after the place had been - more or less - refurbished.
Attachments
Admin 1.jpg
Admin 2.jpg
Admin 3.jpg

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”