Why did Hitler attend a funeral of Jozef Pilsudski in 1935?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
wm

Re: Why did Hitler attend a funeral of Jozef Pilsudski in 1935?

Post by wm » 11 May 2018, 22:12

It was said there was a day of mourning declared in Germany, so I was trying to find some information about it - because it seemed a seriously excessive and disproportionate reaction.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 11 May 2018, 22:39

I understand this in that where that there was an official/national (panstwowy) memorial as official buildings like all ministry´s, the Reichskanzlei and the Presidential Chancellery were flagged half-mast. As said, that´s way more honor for a foreigner than the highest ranking politicians in their own country get adjudged nowadays.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 13 May 2018, 03:35

It was said there was a day of mourning declared in Germany, so I was trying to find some information about it - because it seemed a seriously excessive and disproportionate reaction.
Pilsidski's death did not happen in political vacuum, to the contrary it was a busy week in politics in Europe, mostly because of Laval visit in Soviet Union. The was also a possibility of a power struggle in Poland. Perhaps by attending a mass in a Catholic church and by declaring mourning in Germany (a limited one and in reality applied only in Berlin - where the ministerial buildings were), Hitler was trying to win some points in Poland and in the same time to cause some confusion during French-Soviet talks.
It was also announced on the 14th that Hitler will postpone his foreign policy speech for a week "to enable the Fuhrer to weigh up the position following Pilsudski's death". Perhaps a good excuse to wait for results of French-Soviet talks...

laracraft

Post by laracraft » 08 Jun 2018, 13:22

Hitler's presence was as a demonstration of respect for the German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact which had been renewed

wm

Post by wm » 20 Jun 2018, 22:05

Although the German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact was never renewed, it was valid for ten years and signed in 1934.

Lamarck

Post by Lamarck » 22 Jun 2018, 04:15

wm wrote:Although the German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact was never renewed, it was valid for ten years and signed in 1934.
Hitler certainly didn't think it was valid on 1 September 1939.

wm

Post by wm » 22 Jun 2018, 20:41

The Pact was still valid, it couldn't be denounced before its expiration.

baby gerald

Post by baby gerald » 23 Jul 2018, 02:18

So I'm new to this discussion but would like to add my 2 kopeks.

It's been shown via historical research that Hitler was making a major effort to gain Polish support for the planned eventual march to the east. He wanted to get Poland to allow the Wehrmacht to drive through their territory in order to do so. The newly founded nation wasn't keen on this idea, enjoying their sovereignty and playing diplomatic games with the French and the Germans. As far as I recall, Germany's promises to Poland were vague regarding sharing the spoils of this plan, which also kept the Poles reluctant to sign on.

Furthermore, Piłsudski was a hero in the Polish-Soviet War. He knew first-hand the danger posed by the Bolsheviks, so there was common cause between his and Hitler's politics. I'll dig around for books I've recently read if references are requested.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”