Reichskanzlei Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Christoph Neubauer

Re: Reichskanzlei Thread

Post by Christoph Neubauer » 27 Jul 2018 22:50

Mannheim wrote:
26 Jul 2018 22:53
Love your work, Christoph! Is that the Mosse Palais at the very end?
You are right it is Mosse Palais. It looks like you know Vossstrasse very well :thumbsup:

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 28 Jul 2018 00:15

Yes, I have been there many times and am looking forward to going again but I have your DVDs to thank for much of my knowledge. I am working on my blog which is aimed at anyone visiting Berlin who wants to know where interesting stuff happened. You may find this interesting:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180969006/

Mannheim

Bunker roof

Post by Mannheim » 06 Aug 2018 23:27

On page 156 in my edition of Traudl Junge's "Until the Final Hour" she says "By now the Fuhrer's huge underground bunker in the grounds of the Reich Chancellery had been made ready. Eleven metres of thick reinforced concrete covered the little cabins and rooms inside. But only a flat roof emerged above ground level." My italics. This is the first I've heard of the bunker roof emerging above ground level. Does anyone know anything of this?

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 08 Aug 2018 21:37

Yes, that quote is on p.156 in my copy, as well -- "The First USA Edition, 2004" -- and I suppose I read past it at the time without taking note of any significance. In considering it now, I think she was referring to the reinforced garden exit block which came up from below and had a flat roof. Certainly that was the only portion of the Führerbunker that extended above-ground and had a flat roof; the only other structure was the ventilation tower which had a conical roof.

Br. James

Christoph Neubauer

Post by Christoph Neubauer » 09 Aug 2018 12:32

She was only wrong about the eleven metres but the roof of the bunker used to be visible (in 1945). Proof: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChr ... bunker.jpg

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Aug 2018 15:46

The reinforced Führerbunker was supposedly buried under many feet of soil...so how could it have risen up to garden-level in 1945? I don't understand what that linked period photo is supposedly showing us, other than the exit block and the ventilation tower having been blown up during the Soviet occupation...??

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 09 Aug 2018 22:56

Christof is referring, I think, to the base indicated here by the red arrow. Works for me. I'm interested in the structure at the rear (blue arrow). I'm guessing it's part of the Old Reich Chancellery but which part?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 10 Aug 2018 00:45

I think it's Gewächshaus. Photo was taken in the opposite direction to Old Chancellery building.
I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. It’s impossible to put down.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 10 Aug 2018 08:57

Yes, I think you're dead right, Greg. Most photos show the conical tower on the right of the bunker exit and I didn't realise that the photographer may have shot it from that angle. And the roof and 'doorways' seem exactly right.

Christoph Neubauer

Post by Christoph Neubauer » 10 Aug 2018 18:15

Yes! Blue arrow is the green house. On the right (next to bunker exit) is Haus Kempka (House of Hitlers driver) and all the way left is the barrack for the workers who constructed the new bunkers in the chancellery gardens.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 10 Aug 2018 20:15

While I agree with the other garden location markers -- the greenhouse roof, Kempka's house and the workers' barracks -- what the red arrow is pointing to is still beyond my understanding! If that is the Führerbunker's roof extending up out of the soil of the garden's surface then it must have always been visible, ever since it was excavated and poured years earlier. And if that is true then it must have been easily visible in other photos and films taken of that area during the war... Does anyone have any other proof that that is the Führerbunker's roofline there? Any other photos showing what is clearly visible during the years after the war?

Br. James

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 11 Aug 2018 08:22

Führerbunker's roof was covered with sand / soft soil.
What we see there is a result of post-war excavations. There were digs all over the place. You can see this on many photos.
They took out soft stuff (up to the concrete) and dumped it in front of the entry.

Christoph Neubauer

Post by Christoph Neubauer » 11 Aug 2018 13:46

The roof of the bunker used to be covered with sand until the they started constructing the two round towers in march 1945. During this construction work, they removed the 50cm layer of sand topping to replace it later by a “Zerschellschicht” (layer of weak concrete) to protect the roof even more against the newly developed heavy bombs. They did not come around to complete the work anymore because the war ended in May and the roof remained therefore visible until 1947 (time of its destruction.) All the photos show the concrete of the roof. However, it is often hard to recognize because of all the rubble on it after the battle. Traudl Junge was right saying the roof was visible but it actually did not raise over the ground level of the garden. However, for her it looked like that because there used to be a corner of the roof rising out of the ground because they did some work on the walls of the bunker at that corner.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 11 Aug 2018 14:03

It seems one round tower (that closer to the bunker entry) was only partially completed when the war ended?
Photos show only bottom concreted and just bare steel reinforcement in the top.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 12 Aug 2018 21:36

So apparently we don't have an explanation of what we're seeing in the photo with a platform rising up out of the Reichschancellery Garden. Part of the top of the Exit Block and of the Ventilation Tower are knocked over onto this platform -- presumably made of concrete -- but we don't see any evidence of this platform having been excavated up out of the pit into which the Führerbunker was created; indeed, if this was the roof of the Führerbunker, it would have been sitting in a deep pit surrounded by walls of soil or sand... Very curious!

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”