Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CPB

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by CPB » 19 May 2019, 17:45

Any idea where or what this building is? It was with a group of Berghof/Obersalzberg shots, so I think it's from around there...
Attachments
Ob.jpeg

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 20 May 2019, 05:03

It looks like a barrack building to me, but then again this one has a copper roof complete with a snow railing, something you would not see on a barrack.. so i can not help you to identify this building, but i can confirm that it is in the Berchtesgaden surrounding area indeed, this because the mountain Watzmann is in the middle of the image.

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 20 May 2019, 12:21

CPB wrote:
19 May 2019, 17:45
Any idea where or what this building is? It was with a group of Berghof/Obersalzberg shots, so I think it's from around there...
Hi!

I did not find the exact building, but an approximate location. I searched on Google Earth and found the following place:

https://goo.gl/maps/4haBVVCjeGhSQeeJ7

There is a street in front of the building, right arrow, and it looks like an electricity mast on the left, left arrow, maybe for the railway line below. So it could be the "Bundesstraße 20" corner "An der Ache" right next to the railway line.

My screenshot shows the excerpt from Google Earth with the mountain formations in the background. Unfortunately, I do not know which building it might be. Maybe it's a bit further south, near the Reichskanzlei in Stanggass, but then the mountain formation looks different.

Regards
Attachments
Berchtesgaden.jpg
Berchtesgaden.jpg (226.68 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Berchtesgaden1.jpg
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

CPB

Post by CPB » 20 May 2019, 14:15

Great detective work, thank you!

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 02 Jun 2019, 23:49

Is that a picture of Berghof's kitchen ?
Photo:-https://www.xlsemanal.com/
Attachments
Kitchen.jpg
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jun 2019, 16:37

That's the kitchen at the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagles Nest). That photo is a version that is in the U.S. Army Signal Corps Collection in the U.S. National Archives. It was probably a pre-1945 photo that had been "captured" during the U.S. occupation. Compare to the photo showing a more "looted" appearance, which was taken by French forces in May 1945.
Attachments
kitchen111SC207257S.jpg
US National Archives
kitchenfrench1945.jpg
Archiv Ingrid Scharfenberg
kehlsteinhausvor1945set4.jpg
ebay
kehlsteinhausvor1945set4.jpg (188.29 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Jun 2019, 10:03

Is anyone aware of any ceremonies or planned events on the Obersalzberg next May to mark the 75th anniversary of its liberation?

SteveFBS

Post by SteveFBS » 12 Jun 2019, 17:54

CPB wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:03
Is anyone aware of any ceremonies or planned events on the Obersalzberg next May to mark the 75th anniversary of its liberation?
I always feel the term "liberation" is a strange one in this context. How do you liberate a country from itself? It was CONQUERED.

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Jun 2019, 18:18

How predictable

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Jun 2019, 23:08

CPB wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:03
I would suspect there will be, but these ceremonies seem to be rarely announced ahead of time. For example, the 3rd Infantry Division veteran ceremonies, that take place many years right around 4-5 May, at their plaque beside the Kempinski Hotel ... I have never seen one of these ceremonies announced ahead of time on the 3ID vets webpage, or the BGL tourism webpage, or in the local Berchtesgaden paper. I have even asked to be informed of these, without result.

Also, there were several special activities during the 60th anniversary, such as opening tunnels to tourism, that had never before been opened to the public (in Berchtesgaden, not any of the OSB tunnels).

For sure, if anyone hears of anything special going on, please let us know here!

Geoff

CPB

Post by CPB » 13 Jun 2019, 09:40

Thanks Geoff, I'll keep my ear to the ground. Either way, I hope to make it over there for May 4/5.

Chris

headwest

Post by headwest » 13 Jun 2019, 17:50

Sorry to be a little off topic, but I had my first trip to germany a few months ago for work. Flew into Frankfurt and then just had a few days for work so didnt see much. I am planning an extensive trip but feel it will be to much for one and may need to be broken into 2. The one area is Normandy, Caen etc but the other is for Germany such as the large cities Berlin, Nuremburg, Munich etc but then Berchtesgaden.

To visit Berchtesgaden and see the sites all have discussed here, the old Berghof, Zum Turken, Lake Konigsee, tea house etc. where is the best place to put oneself in the town? is there a nicely situated hotel? i would love to stay at the Zum Turken but if that isnt possible I was wondering what would be recommended for a few days stay in the town and to see the area?

thanks!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Jun 2019, 18:30

This is just my "2 cents worth," others' mileage may vary. I have made over 30 trips to the Berchtesgaden area and stayed in several different places. Alas, I cannot say that I ever found the PERFECT place to stay. I used to always stay at the Türken, but those days are gone for me now, and let's face it, the Türken has severe drawbacks as a place to stay from which to explore the area. It's very expensive now, it has no restaurant for meals other than breakfast, you pretty much have to have your own transportation to reach restaurants for other meals and other sites, no internet (for those who need it), etc. Staying anywhere on the Obersalzberg itself pretty much means you need your own car, because there are so few restaurants around there (although the Holzkäfer in Buchenhöhe - always one of my favorites - is apparently open to the public again).

In Berchtesgaden itself, I do have one favorite hotel, although it's not perfect. I love the Hotel Bavaria. Petra and Wolfgang Kurz are absolutely wonderful hosts, and their hotel is a great place to stay. It's a convenient walk to the train and bus station, and a short walk into the upper (main) part of town, although it is an uphill walk (Berchtesgaden is a mountain town!). The hotel does not have its own restaurant, but there is a hotel with a nice restaurant practically right across the street. And you can walk into town. The one thing I don't like is the parking - there isn't much of it, and if you return late there may not be a space (you have to park in a lot at the bottom of the hill just below the hotel), and to reach the hotel parking you have to drive on a narrow 1-lane but 2-way street, which always makes me scared I'm going to meet someone coming the other way (never happened to me, thankfully).

You may notice I didn't mention the Kempinski hotel on the OSB at all. I'm sorry, but to me, that place and its restaurants are WAY overpriced for the average history explorer. I wouldn't even consider staying there.

Geoff

headwest

Post by headwest » 14 Jun 2019, 19:52

Thanks Geoff! I figured you would def know what to do!

Thats a bummer about the Turken now, but i figured it would be difficult staying there no matter what to see the sites in town, or get down to the lake etc.

I will check out Hotel Bavaria. I loved my trip to Germany, had my first ICE train experience and managed to find a couple places in Karlsruhe were i was for work that had to do with the second world war and before.

and I found all the co workers and people I met very friendly. Thanks Again!

vartaz

Post by vartaz » 15 Jun 2019, 13:45

Geoff why are the zum tyrken days over what has changed ?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”