SS Prinz Eugen / Poster ?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Hans1906

Re: SS Prinz Eugen / Poster ?

Post by Hans1906 » 26 Jun 2020 14:01

Greetings Sejanus,

I have learned, in earlier years, to judge vintage and so called "historic" posters by their marks from the former
german printing companies.

Every german printing company always made a "remark" on the lower side of any poster, this makes the difference from a fake, to an
original printing...

Let me show just one example here in the forum,

A german "Bauhaus" poster from the year 1971, imprinted in the lower area of the poster with the original imprint:

Eugen Batz /famous Bauhaus Artist, I have several originals from Batz in my collections.

It is not a secret, to know a little bit about vintage original printings, and it is not a secret, to compare an original from a fake.
Takes some time, learning another lesson in every second deal, thats it.

* Interested in the Batz poster, let me know, will share the image...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 26 Jun 2020 14:35

Eugen Batz, "Bauhaus" poster from 1971

7500,- to 15.000,- Euro, je nach Markt..(depending on the market...)

Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 26 Jun 2020 15:40

Hello Hans.
It sounds like you are correcting and critizing us for commenting on what appears to be a fake SS poster by coming up with the “imprint” fact for German printing firms. Now, I’m not into the legal side of German printing, reprinting, copyright etc. but I would think they would be cautious about reprinting anything SS related and putting their name to it (if being a well known firm). A reprint of an ORIGINAL print would also have “imprint” info if printed in Denmark, if the artist in any way is covered by copyright etc. Looking at the poster first asked about, I don’t see any “imprint”, so why mention it. If it had been there to start with we (me and probably othets too) would have commented on this. But nothing visible besides the “mistakes” we already have mentioned.
Show me the “historic mark” and I’ll change my name to Meyer in the future :wink:

Waleed

Max

Post by Max » 26 Jun 2020 15:49

Hans1906 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 14:01
A german "Bauhaus" poster from the year 1971, imprinted in the lower area of the poster with the original imprint:
Hi Hans.
Sorry to nitpick, but that is not a Bauhaus poster(manufactured by/at the Bauhaus) but a a much more recent (1971?) advertisement/poster for an exhibition about Bauhaus artists done in the Bauhaus style. Is that why you used the " " ?
This poster shows an illustration by Eugen Batz who curiously, seems not to be otherwise represented in the exhibition.
It is possible that Batz designed the poster (he was still alive in 1971) but that is not stated on the poster - only that a facsimile of one of his graphics was used.

I had not come across Batz before.
Thanks for bringing him to my attention

Cheers
Max
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 26 Jun 2020 16:11

Greetings Max,

it is a print from 1971, no doubt about this...

I bought the framed poster a few years ago, and you are right, printed in 1971.
I payed 2.50 for the frame, the framed poster hanging in a german office for decades...

Nobody there was aware about the poster, even about Batz at all. nobody.
Cleaning the sheet is another topic...

One of the best finds in the last years, until now, I never removed the poster from the frame...

Hans

I payed for the frame, 2,50 Euro, including wrapping...

Btw, I own several "Hans Schweitzer" ("Mjölnir") printings, posters who were spread in Belarus, strange stuff, later...

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Jun 2020 11:46

Good afternoon Max,

I have to correct about the above poster from 1971/1972..?

Motive was used from one of the old Eugen Batz works from the "Bauhaus" era, late 1920s, early 1930s.
Eugen Batz: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugen_Batz

Batz passed away in the year 1986 in Wuppertal, and probably designed the whole poster for the exhibition in the early 1970s,
including the typical "Bauhaus" style lettering, but to sorry, I am not sure about this..?
My evaluation of the sheet is completely wrong, sorry, a typing error.
Good and unfolded sheets start from 750,- to 1200,- Euro, sorry for my mistake. :oops:

Anyway, a very nice find for very little money, everything is still possible... 8-)

Greetings from Germany!

Hans

The "Deutsches Plakat Museum" in the City of Essen for sure has the answer...
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Plakatmuseum

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 29 Jun 2020 14:31

Sorry to contradict agaon. Only the two top lines of lettering are “typical” bauhaus style, the rest is a typical Helvetica (late 1950s typeface) or a close cousin of this.

Waleed

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Jun 2020 15:15

Greetings Waleed,

you are probably right, but the "Bauhaus" topic is the one or another question...

I am a little bit aware about the lettering from the "Bauhaus" Era, but far away, from being another expert.
I bought vintage and antique posters since the late 1970s, most of them for small money, decades ago.

A quite good collection of books and old auction catalogues supports my collection, but as a collector,
there is never enough important material to read...
Your own time also plays a big role, we all are aware about all this.

I am still on the hunt for "music" posters from the 1960s, the early 1970s, also vintage motorcycle movie posters, Road-Movie
and Biker Movie Posters from that Era.
Collecting is complete madness, I should better go for a ride on my old Harley, but I can't help it.

Hans

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”