Reichskanzlei Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Br. James

Re: Reichskanzlei Thread

Post by Br. James » 23 Feb 2021 17:46

Thanks so much for your most helpful research and explanation! You certainly have established the location of the Library in the New Chancellery, and the Model Room makes sense where you place it on the second/first floor schematic above. Do you have any text reference for placing the Model Room where you have? I have read that it was located 'just beyond the Dining Room' -- which would have placed it conveniently for any guests dining there to visit without having to give them access to the upper floor of the building -- and it would have facilitated the models being moved down to the basement, near to the entrance to the Bunker system. I have read that Hitler liked to visit the Model Room in the basement during his time below ground during the late wartime days.

With respect and many thanks,

Br. James

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 23 Feb 2021 18:03

As for the location of the offices of the four Chiefs in the New Reichschancellery -- Drs. Otto Meissner and Hans Heinrich Lammers, and Reichsleiters Martin Bormann and Philipp Bouhler -- my understanding is that those offices were all located on the First/Ground Floor of the building, possibly clustered around Hitler's office -- making them convenient to their numerous visitors from outside of the Chancellery -- though I have never seen a schematic which definitely itemized the location of any of those four major offices. I look forward to your further enlightenment!

Br. James

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 24 Feb 2021 18:13

Br. James wrote:
23 Feb 2021 17:46
Thanks so much for your most helpful research and explanation! You certainly have established the location of the Library in the New Chancellery, and the Model Room makes sense where you place it on the second/first floor schematic above. Do you have any text reference for placing the Model Room where you have? I have read that it was located 'just beyond the Dining Room' -- which would have placed it conveniently for any guests dining there to visit without having to give them access to the upper floor of the building -- and it would have facilitated the models being moved down to the basement, near to the entrance to the Bunker system. I have read that Hitler liked to visit the Model Room in the basement during his time below ground during the late wartime days.

With respect and many thanks,

Br. James
Hello,
NepalH1Ker is correct.

The official model room was where he placed it, on the first floor (with ground floor as 0 as in Germany) or the 1st upper storey in American, above but set back from- the Dining Room arcades but a rectangle running behind the Library's rectangle in the same location, located directly above the row of arches.

Though unsure it is his source, the faded plan he posted as well as others of the other floor levels can be found in a remarkable early book -- indeed, it got me interested in this complex building to start with when encountered it. `Die Neu Reichskanzlie von Albert Speer' by Angela Schondberger. It was all the way back in the late 80's. You can get it by Interlibrary loan. (In the states) and presumably is more common in Germany -- it is in German.

The model room may have been somewhat incomplete by the big Hitler birthday celebration of 1939, because that famous picture you see of the large-scale model of the Arch of Triumph that Hitler wanted for Germania is actually being displayed in the New Chancellery Library hall, not the Model Hall for the purpose. This has always seemed a little strange. (By the way, for the same occasion the Bismarck-era great Hall of the old Reich Chancellery Palace is filled with stacks of presents and gifts. Since guests saw this a times, access to the New RK Library was probably not difficult)

One other thing: in 1944-1945 the models have been moved down to Reich Chancellery bunkers. The backgrounds will appear largely featureless. The Hall of Models is mentioned as being set afire by bombs in the late November 1943 air-raid that burned off the roof of the old Reich Chancellery palace, very close to Hitler's own spaces. But the roof in that area doesn't look that damaged even by end of the war, so hard to say.

HTH,

- Palaisfan

Here is a small picture of it. Its so familiar I didn't try to look for a high quality one, but instead for one with a good wide frame of the background visible; as this is often cropped. All regulars to the subject will recognize it, but they might not have caught that the background shows it is in the New RK Library.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NepalH1ker

Post by NepalH1ker » 24 Feb 2021 18:57

palaisfan wrote:
24 Feb 2021 18:13
Though unsure it is his source, the faded plan he posted as well as others of the other floor levels can be found in a remarkable early book -- indeed, it got me interested in this complex building to start with when encountered it. `Die Neu Reichskanzlie von Albert Speer' by Angela Schondberger. It was all the way back in the late 80's. You can get it by Interlibrary loan. (In the states) and presumably is more common in Germany -- it is in German.
Yeah that's it, as I understand it's a PhD thesis. The quality is bad as you saw, but all floors were in there. I think it said the original plans were in a Bavarian archive and had already somewhat deteriorated due to being drawn on parchment.

Another clue to the library and model room is this staircase:
Reichssammler wrote:
23 Aug 2007 20:07
I believe it is the staircase mentioned on p. 82 of the 1940 book where it says you go upstairs to the model room (which is above the Speisesaal), and then from the model room you get into the library. In the above photo you're still on the ground floor, about where I put the red dot, looking west, in a room called Gesellschaftshalle (it is briefly mentioned on p. 82 as well). Notice the two windows on the very right of the photo.
staircase to model room and library.jpg
I marked the two windows with orange arrows above, and in the following outside view I marked them in orange again (library in green):
library and staircase.png
Now, actually walking upstairs, this is the route you would take coming from the ground floor to the upper level, through the model room to the library:
walking to the library.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NepalH1ker

Post by NepalH1ker » 24 Feb 2021 19:27

I have two more color photos of the staircase. In the floor plan of this area you can see another long narrow stair north of the rotunda which goes down to the basement bunker. I believe the door is somewhat hidden, probably about where the plant is:
Staircase color3.jpg
And through this open door we see the hallway leading towards Hitler's office:
Staircase color6.jpg

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 25 Feb 2021 03:48

Mister S wrote:
11 May 2020 06:26
Br. James wrote:
10 May 2020 14:28
I fully agree, Mister S: VERY IMPRESSIVE indeed! That said, by the time pitched battles were possible in and around the Government/Wilhelmstrasse sector of Berlin, the statuary in the Court of Honor and the Garden Terrace, as well as most of the furnishings inside the Reichschancellery complex, had been removed and put into storage. So the visuals would have been quite a bit different...though the creator of this video game apparently did make the effort to show bomb damage throughout the buildings.

Again, VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Some changes, like holes and sandbags, were added to improve the combat in the game and add covering positions, and some furniture was left in for the game, as you mentioned. Most of the big stuff, like the statues outside and the tapestries inside, were indeed moved downstairs/elsewhere in the real building in early-1945, but some things like chairs and desks were left, and can be seen in photographs after the war. So it really isn't even that inaccurate. The only thing that was exaggerated in the games depiction is some of the damage, like bomb craters and explosions added to the outside and inside of the building. The real building was left relatively untouched when you compare it to the destruction around it, and most rooms were ultimately destroyed from looting; not fires or bombs. However, to the developers' credit, the bomb holes allow for easier movement around the building, and a more fluid gameplay overall. I suspect that is why they were added on. But everything else is spot on, and extremely impressive when it comes down to it. Even the small corridor from the old chancellery that leads to the dining hall is included and is spot-on accurate, same with the grand entrance at Vossstrasse 4. I can't complain at all. And even small details, like the mosaics on the walls, the wood carvings in the desk, or the plaques above the doors were included. Almost insane how much work they must've done to turn those small details from historical photos into accurate, HD game textures. The game developers who pulled that off should be commended! I can't wait to play more...
Can't complain is putting it mildly. Wouldn't even think to is closer. Its impressive. Thanks very much for posting these as can't imagine stumbling on the game otherwise. I had just dropped in for a look around and saw these spectacles and was yanked back into the topic, ha. These are mind-boggling in their faithfulness, aside from any of the license they took for combat purposes. Are all of these screencaps from the video on you tube somewhere? Very, very impressed with the dimensional reconstruction --- you don't even see a photograph of this section for example, that is the reverse side of traverse of steps connecting the two chancelleries and leading to the New Chancellery Dining Room. But this doesn't look like "pretend" or "made up" -- it has the look of having had a photograph and shows their attention to detail.

Besides, there does seem to have been some combat around the Reichskanzlei that doesn't get much attention. The arcades of the Dining Room are even bricked up in places for temporary protection and have shooting embrasures, and there were various temporary bunkers or trenches around the garden.

Aside: The game raises an interesting question you don't hear about much. In do-or-die circumstances, were some soldiers still not dangerously distracted momentarily by the scale and nature of ruins they fought among? Its hard not to see it sometimes holding the eye for more than a few seconds---with all the peril that can bring.

- palaisfan

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”