Eva Braun's House

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Whithaus

Re: Eva Braun's House

Post by Whithaus » 06 Apr 2021, 18:12

Atelier Troost designed a renovation in 1935/36, but I don't know if the project was ever carried out. The plan does not entirely match the photos above.
Attachments
EB House plan.JPG

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 07 Apr 2021, 05:33

Whithaus,

Perhaps there was at least some work done as at some point, an underground air raid shelter was added to the house.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 07 Apr 2021, 19:47

Helly Angel wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 15:46
Thank you Palaisfan. In the NARA archives exist a picture of Eva with a dog sheperd in that house, I´m trying to know if it is Blondi (I don´t think) or is another pet.
Helly Angel,
Okay, turns out that is a German shepherd that Hitler gave Eva named `Basko'. He gave it to her shortly after they moved into the new house. What is interesting is Basko apparently survived the war. Hitler did visit at the house at times, so if you see a picture you are sure is Blondi it could be so.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 07 Apr 2021, 20:00

Whithaus,

Thanks for posting that. That is an unexpected addition and rather interesting. It makes sense of some things. It is now clear the staircase was just to the side of the entrance door, and toward the north front of the house. It looks like plans show some projected construction that only partly happened. The garage behind and to the side does get added. Your plan looks pretty accurate if you just leave off that tentative addition. If those layouts are really 1936 it could be some planned addition after they moved in in March 1936. If it really is 1935 then that means they planned on buying the house sooner than it seems.

However, it seems pretty clear that side room (a conservatory? -- Unfortunately cannot quite make out the three German words) doesn't get added. At least not there. But there seems to be some kind of similar structure under the balcony in similar position toward the back of the house. It appears Eva Braun's upper floor bedroom was `large' and was the one next to the balcony. That would make it the back bedroom with sidedoor to balcony and make Gretl's the one at the front. If the upper floor general plan was similar, and it does seem to have resembled the bottom from what can be seen of the house being torn down at Geoff Walden's Munich page. (linked earlier on post # 12). Go to that set of images. In the tear down picture the Dining Room and front set of rooms of the house are already gone. We looking into the Living Room on the right, and the wall of the staircase clearly from Whithaus' posted plan on the left.

- Palaisfan

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Apr 2021, 20:36

palaisfan wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 19:47
Helly Angel wrote:
Thank you Palaisfan. In the NARA archives exist a picture of Eva with a dog sheperd in that house, I´m trying to know if it is Blondi (I don´t think) or is another pet.
Helly Angel,
Okay, turns out that is a German shepherd that Hitler gave Eva named `Basko'. He gave it to her shortly after they moved into the new house. What is interesting is Basko apparently survived the war. Hitler did visit at the house at times, so if you see a picture you are sure is Blondi it could be so.
Thats it! This is Gretl in the house in Bogenhausen. The dog must be "Basko". In the color and the body you can see the difference with Blondi.
Attachments
Gretl and Basko in Bogenhausen.jpg
Gretl and Basko in Bogenhausen.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 08 Apr 2021, 00:21

Geoff Walden wrote:
13 Dec 2008, 16:26
Hi kenbac,

Those are the only interior views I have seen, and these were all that were in that Life Magazine (all that I copied anyway). I don't remember if there were any others in EB's albums - that was the only one I copied.

Here are a couple more views of the house today. I don't know how to get around to the back side to see the part that shows up in period photos and EB's films - that was a little more trespassing than I wanted to attempt. 8-)

Geoff
Hello Geoff,

A query if you will? Given Whithaus' post of the plan, do you have any other pictures of the Eva house being torn down like on your Munich page, or just those two on your site? Even those reveal much and if that is all there is, that's all there is. Looks like they tore it down fast.

Could you weigh in on this thread of mine? The second Reichskanzlei is not covered enough to be sure.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=256566

Thanks!

- palaisfan

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Apr 2021, 23:09

Unfortunately, those are the only two views I have of the house being demolished.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 12 Apr 2021, 23:35

Geoff Walden wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 23:09
Unfortunately, those are the only two views I have of the house being demolished.
No problem. Thought that might be the case, just wanted to ask. It looks like it happened fast too. Good details considering.

Could you check out that other thread? "Help with a familiar picture sought"

Thanks.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 15 Apr 2021, 18:24

Helly Angel wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 20:36
palaisfan wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 19:47
Helly Angel wrote:
Helly Angel,
Thats it! This is Gretl in the house in Bogenhausen. The dog must be "Basko". In the color and the body you can see the difference with Blondi.
Yes. And that's a cute picture of the two of them. You see the steps leading down from the terrace there.

Turns out there is one other common type of picture associated with the house. These are usually found in reference to the July 20 1944 bomb attempt, but Hitler sent his shredded pants to Eva and they were found post-war. So this is a view of somewhere in the house - probably upstairs bedroom. Not seen with Lee Miller items it is likely Life or Newsweek.
Attachments
Eva-braun-TheJuly20pantstumblr_o8zzyiICq01toqeyzo.jpg
Eva-braun-TheJuly20pantstumblr_o8zzyiICq01toqeyzo.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 15 Apr 2021, 19:09

By the way, to any that might ever be interested - in the recent poking around for other items, if someone ever wants to study the party Munich Braun Haus or Braunes Haus layout, you should know that the National Archives and Library of Congress in the U.S. are loaded with pictures from it. Seemingly of most rooms and floor levels and halls. The spelling syntax can be tricky -- you find Braunes Haus, but even just `Brown House' and it sometimes is linked with Eva to boot. Just putting in those terms will bring them up.

Just a tip,

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 16 Apr 2021, 05:27

Palaisfan,

Do you have a link to the archives?

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 16 Apr 2021, 05:51

Ecam,

Yes, go here. I just re-constructed my search to confirm:
https://catalog.archives.gov/
Just enter "braunes haus"
that way, and they will come right up. More than a few pages. Most are there, but some come up using Brown in English too I believe.

Also worth checking out is Library of Congress, but its not as smooth. Besides, the Braunes Haus pics are in the Archives.
https://www.loc.gov/

Good hunting,

- Palaisfan

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 17 Apr 2021, 05:12

palaisfan wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 05:51
Ecam,

Yes, go here. I just re-constructed my search to confirm:
https://catalog.archives.gov/
Just enter "braunes haus"
that way, and they will come right up. More than a few pages. Most are there, but some come up using Brown in English too I believe.

Also worth checking out is Library of Congress, but its not as smooth. Besides, the Braunes Haus pics are in the Archives.
https://www.loc.gov/

Good hunting,

- Palaisfan
Many thanks!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”