Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Helly Angel

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Helly Angel » 01 Jun 2021, 17:29

Today I received from Germany a postcard that I believe is part of the Winter Garden, it has no date but on the back it says "Haus Wachenfeld", it is edited by Hoffmann. I could never get it in good quality, it cost me just EU 10. I really always wanted it, but I never got a good copy! It was a fortune that I got it. I share it here.
Attachments
Postales de mayo0003.jpg

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 01 Jun 2021, 23:22

I saw that scene many times, but now due the perfect image I can notice some details, never observed before.
Specially the Rattan or Bamboo Chair, well elaborated even with the svastics under the arms , That piece of furniture is very unusual, in Bavarian, even in Germany, nothing to do with typical furniture made of wood of Alpine zones. In my opinion was no made in Germany, but probably, in German African Colony, and also I see the blanket on the back of the chair with the AH capital letters, very ornate, embroidered, looks also that piece is from overseas, I saw similar colorful blankest in Africa , may be Cameroon . Probably the set was a Gift from some special c\visitor.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 01 Jun 2021, 23:50

ihoyos wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 23:22
I saw that scene many times, but now due the perfect image I can notice some details, never observed before.
Specially the Rattan or Bamboo Chair, well elaborated even with the svastics under the arms , That piece of furniture is very unusual, in Bavarian, even in Germany, nothing to do with typical furniture made of wood of Alpine zones. In my opinion was no made in Germany, but probably, in German African Colony, and also I see the blanket on the back of the chair with the AH capital letters, very ornate, embroidered, looks also that piece is from overseas, I saw similar colorful blankest in Africa , may be Cameroon . Probably the set was a Gift from some special c\visitor.
Agree, that is a very nice copy. When you have good resolution these color cards can be very informative on details. The observation on the furniture is very interesting. As for the date, it is very correct to call it Haus Wachenfeld still, as it is just before the 1936 reconstruction. Would guess 1934-1935.

Thanks for sharing Helly Angel,

- palaisfan

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jun 2021, 13:21

I would like to recommend a search for "obersalzberg berghof" in the ZVAB. (Zentrales Verzeichnis Antiquarischer Bücher).

Link https://www.zvab.com/servlet/SearchResu ... ghof&sts=t

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

CPB

Post by CPB » 11 Jun 2021, 10:02

Does anyone have a hi-res version of this image of the Kehlsteinhaus entranceway, or indeed any other photos of this area?

Thanks

Chris
Attachments
KH.jpg

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Jun 2021, 16:45

Chris,
Would a modern view help?
Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Jun 2021, 16:55

Geoff Walden wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 16:45
Chris,
Would a modern view help?
Geoff
I’m ideally looking for a period one, but actually a modern one would be good to see too…thanks Geoff.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Jun 2021, 16:14

Hope this may help.
Attachments
hallwayn1.jpg

CPB

Post by CPB » 14 Jun 2021, 16:19

Thanks Geoff!

headwest

Post by headwest » 15 Jun 2021, 15:54

Sort of off topic, but since it is in this area, i was wondering if there are inside pics of the tea house? it looked like a large building but i have only seen some video footage and Hitler around a table there

what was in the rest of the place?

and any photos or video of it after the war inside?

thanks!

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 19 Jun 2021, 15:56

his book, I Met Hitler, Interviews with Karl Hoeffkes

This book, I Met Hitler, Interviews with Karl Hoeffkes, was published last year. I’ve translated two interviews which I found most interesting. The editing function on this Blog is problematic, so there are some gaps in the text which I can’t fix.

The first interview is from Gretl Mittestrasse, a young woman who was working at the Berghof and becomes Eva Braun’s personal maid. This interview was conducted in the 1980’s

For me this is the first time I have heard about this.......
For me Hitler was always just the Chef. However, privately we hardly had much to say to one another. Every three months the pictures in the Berghof upstairs had to be changed around, Hitler insisted on that. So I had the job to do that and I did not know art nearly as well as the Chef did. During these times when I changed the pictures, Hitler would joke with me because he knew I was no art expert. He himself could name every painter of every art piece

Interesting practice of changing art, of course he must have had quite a few stored somewhere?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 21 Jun 2021, 17:16

Hi Annelie,
The results of some of these artwork shufflings can be seen in postcards and photos of the Berghof. For example, in the Great Room, sometimes there was a Madonna by Bugiardini over the fireplace, sometimes nothing there; on the south wall (to the left of the fireplace) sometimes there was a portrait of Helmut von Moltke, but sometimes this portrait hung over the fireplace in Hitler's office, and its place in the Great Room was taken by "Nana" by Feuerbach (usually this "Nana" was on the west wall); there were a couple of Roman ruins scenes by Pannini that appeared in various locations; sometimes Bordone's "Woman with Apple" was on the west wall (Speer called this one "Woman with Exposed Bosom), but sometimes it was elsewhere or stored.
In Hitler's office, the portrait over the fireplace was sometimes the Helmut von Moltke mentioned above, but sometimes Friedrich the Great by Pesne; portraits of Hitler's parents hung on the front wall, but Speer said that the one of Hitler's father was replaced by a portrait of Julius Schreck by Knirr (?).
Geoff

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 21 Jun 2021, 18:36

Thank you Geoff.

For all the reading material I have and read somehow I missed this bit of information.
I shall be more attentive (hope) in future.

I know artists today are always saying buy more art and move it around but I had
no idea they did this in those days.

Max

Post by Max » 22 Jun 2021, 00:23

I have always assumed that the artworks displayed in the Berghof were Hitler"s private property; legitimately acquired and paid for. Was there ever any suggestion that Hitler displayed looted art works in his private residences or his official offices for that matter?
Likewise for Goering?
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

v60pih

Post by v60pih » 22 Jun 2021, 12:19

headwest wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 15:54
Sort of off topic, but since it is in this area, i was wondering if there are inside pics of the tea house? it looked like a large building but i have only seen some video footage and Hitler around a table there

what was in the rest of the place?

and any photos or video of it after the war inside?

thanks!
Some pictures: http://markfelton.co.uk/publishedbooks/ ... tea-house/

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”