Why were Slavs classified as inferior despite speaking Indo-European languages?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cantankerous

Why were Slavs classified as inferior despite speaking Indo-European languages?

Post by Cantankerous » 13 Sep 2021 03:20

I hear all the time how Hitler called Slavs inferior to Aryans, but Slavic peoples speak languages in the same language family (Indo-European) as Nordic peoples, Romanians, Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, and Albanians. Therefore, I wanted to ask why Hitler overlooked the fact that Slavic languages are part of the same language family as Germanic languages when considering Slavs a subhuman race.

wm

Re: Why were Slavs classified as inferior despite speaking Indo-European languages?

Post by wm » 13 Sep 2021 09:06

It wasn't because of the language but because the Poles by refusing to cooperate with Hitler derailed his great plans (whatever they were - because it seems nobody knows for sure).

In the thirties, Hitler actually was quite friendly towards Poland and in 1939 spent six months trying to amicably gain their cooperation.
Additionally, his tour of Poland during the September Campaign convicted him that the Poles, because of their poverty, weren't up to the snuff.
And as mass underground resistance was expected (the Poles had a long tradition of resistance against the partition powers) harsh measures were needed to suppress it - including the "subhuman" propaganda.

It actually didn't last that long, in 1943 it was forbidden to use terms like subhuman against the Poles.

George L Gregory

Re: Why were Slavs classified as inferior despite speaking Indo-European languages?

Post by George L Gregory » 14 Sep 2021 21:30

Cantankerous wrote:
13 Sep 2021 03:20
I hear all the time how Hitler called Slavs inferior to Aryans, but Slavic peoples speak languages in the same language family (Indo-European) as Nordic peoples, Romanians, Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, and Albanians. Therefore, I wanted to ask why Hitler overlooked the fact that Slavic languages are part of the same language family as Germanic languages when considering Slavs a subhuman race.
The Nazis considered the Slavs to be racially inferior to the Germanics, but the Slavs were still considered to be Aryans.

Hitler never described the Slavs as a “subhuman race”.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”