US and UK Expat Propagandists

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
wryter

US and UK Expat Propagandists

Post by wryter » 02 Dec 2021, 17:57

The UK National Archives lists five WWII-era War Office folders (WO 219/5293-5297) collectively titled "British and US Suspected Traitors (individual cases)." The files name US and UK expats living in France and Germany who likely wrote anti-Allied radio scripts and print articles for the Germans. These were NOT the well-known radio broadcasters like Axis Sally and Lord Haw Haw, they were lower-level. The files are are physically held not by the Archives, but by the UK Ministry of Defense. Has anyone ever seen these files, or know where else they might be held? Also, does anyone know the names of these lower-lever traitors?

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: US and UK Expat Propagandists

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Dec 2021, 19:58

There is some additional names mentioned in the link provided. Might be some of the lower-level writers/broadcastets you’re lookig for.
https://www.history.com/.amp/news/6-wor ... oadcasters

Waleed

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Dec 2021, 20:47

Some additional candidates:
Herbert John Burgman
Martin James Monti
Constance Drexel
Rita Luisa Zucca
Margaret Cairns White
Max Otto Koischwitz

I’m sure there are more but no idea if any of them are in the files you’re seeking.

Waleed

Roger Tidy

Post by Roger Tidy » 05 Dec 2021, 00:37

Many of the expat broadcasters who worked for the Nazis are discussed in my book 'Hitler's Radio War'. These include not only those who worked for the 'Germany Calling' programme for Britain and the German Radio's North American service but also those who worked for the German clandestine stations broadcasting to Britain and '/station Debunk', which pretended to be based in the USA

Roger Tidy

wryter

Post by wryter » 07 Dec 2021, 22:36

Thanks all.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 05 Dec 2022, 17:14

You can make a FOI request of the MOD and ask they release these files.
Heaven knows why they are hanging to SOME of these files - the "perpetrators" must be dead by now.

If the files were released to UK NA you can order a digitization of them for an arm and a leg as UK NA are not renowned for being inexpensive.

I said SOME in my first paragraph above, because WO 219/5294 has been released to UK NA.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”