What 'races' were the Germans classified as by the Nazis?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
George L Gregory

What 'races' were the Germans classified as by the Nazis?

Post by George L Gregory » 08 Sep 2022 09:32

The Nordic race, the Alpine race, the Dinaric race, the East Baltic race and the Mediterranean race. Am I missing any other races?

Hans1906

Re: What 'races' were the Germans classified as by the Nazis?

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Sep 2022 10:55

Hi George,

the target-leading German-language terms are, among others, "Rassenlehre", and "Rassenhygiene".

"Nationalsozialistische Rassenhygiene": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationals ... senhygiene
(The article is also av. in English, somewhat shortened)

You certainly already know it well enough, but it might be interesting for people who are not so well-read on this topic here in the forum.
There are plenty of other relevant references online, please spare me the links...

As is almost always the case, I consider your questions to be purely provocative, in your expectation of wrong answers.
But as always, that's just my very personal opinion, please don't take it amiss. :wink:

Hans
P.S. Quickly spouted "one-liners" are frowned upon in German-language Internet forums, and not without reason.
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 20 Sep 2022 22:03

Hans1906 wrote:
08 Sep 2022 10:55
Hi George,

the target-leading German-language terms are, among others, "Rassenlehre", and "Rassenhygiene".

"Nationalsozialistische Rassenhygiene": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationals ... senhygiene
(The article is also av. in English, somewhat shortened)

You certainly already know it well enough, but it might be interesting for people who are not so well-read on this topic here in the forum.
There are plenty of other relevant references online, please spare me the links...

As is almost always the case, I consider your questions to be purely provocative, in your expectation of wrong answers.
But as always, that's just my very personal opinion, please don't take it amiss. :wink:

Hans
P.S. Quickly spouted "one-liners" are frowned upon in German-language Internet forums, and not without reason.
What the hell is provocative about asking what races the Nazis regarded the Germans belonged to exactly?

Frischluft

Post by Frischluft » 22 Sep 2022 21:20

One is missing: the fälische Rasse (Phalian race, Faelid), which Hans F. K. Günther named after the northwestern German region of Westphalia, as it is "probably the best conservation area".¹

The "images of German races" were created to teach school children (see attachments). The description of the Phalian race translates as:
Shapes: Very tall, bulky; long-headed, broad-faced; nose quite narrow; hair wavy or curly.
Colours: Light, hair blond, eyes blue to grey, skin rosy white.
Richard Walther Darré cited Bismarck and Hindenburg as examples of the Phalian race.²
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”