Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Br. James

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Br. James » 02 Jan 2023, 17:41

My only comment would be: Great photos!! From where do these photos originate?

A very Happy and Healthy New Year 2023 to all of our colleagues and friends here!

Br. James

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane » 16 Jan 2023, 22:38

I am in awe of this topic. I would consider myself an ethusiast of a thing or two (not necessarily history related). I would also believe that I am detail oriented... Not until I've read the thorough discussion here on the position of radiators in Berghof and the materials of which the roof was made of and what not.

Thank you for sharing all these pics. I find them priceless. They gave me an insider view as to the world and even inner feelings of Hitler.

It impressed me so much, I had dreams about it.

My personal views are my own. When Elizabeth K. (one of the maids in Berghof) said that Hitler was a crazy man in retrospect, I didn't give it much thought, and I actually found the term superficial for a definition.

Right now I can understand better, how and in what ways Hitler was indeed crazy, due to the impressions I got as to his inner workings and feelings which are necessarily reflected in the many pictures here. (The photo showing him petting the gazelles is a special one. Loving animals, the nature and its creations, but hating the people spare a select few is one of the main constructs of his personality.)

So much love went into the upkeep of Berghof, thanks to the happy maids. The place was shining with positivity, right. It will always blow my mind how constructing a heaven and a hell on earth can belong to a single mind, that of Hitler's.

Genuinely smiling and beaming with happiness SS Auschwitz maidens shown in the Hoecker album were amongst the very well cocooned in an illusion of heaven amidst the actual hell.

Impossible contradictions were always possible in the Nazi Germany and still are I believe in life.

*If you know any of those maidens (SS Helferinnen) in the Hoecker's album in the meantime, please help us identify them. I opened a topic about it. And I am %100 sure that when the time comes, their names won't be a secret or mystery since that's what all the enthusiasts and alike here hate.

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 23 Jan 2023, 02:45

In my post #6684 I asked:
“3/ Lastly, he claims that there was an assassination attempt at the Berghof, attempted by an SA group leader named Krause. Krause, according to Korodi, was at the Berghof to petition Hitler to release an SA comrade who had been sentenced to three years in prison for homosexuality.
“Krause (sic) was at the Berghof waiting to be received by Hitler.He fired at him when the Führer came down the stairs and passed through the hall to enter his study. And he missed. The unlucky SA leader was killed in half a minute. Five guns fired at the same time”.
I can find no reference anywhere to an assassination attempt at the Berghof. Possibly hushed up? Or was Korodi a fantasist or a self-aggrandizer? “

I just ran across this mention of an attempt on Hitler’s life on the Obersalzberg in 1933 posted on the site “Hitlerpages.com”
3419A3C7-8303-40D0-8200-22C315651879.jpeg
Once again, does anyone have any information on this attempt that Korodi mentions in his book?

TheNewt

Re:

Post by TheNewt » 30 Jan 2023, 06:06

Reichssammler wrote:
14 Jul 2007, 22:46
Yes, a great room and the Allied troops destroyed it :x
Sorry but every time I see pics like this then I´m really sad and angry about the "destroy campaign" :(
I could not agree more. But the Bavarian Gov,t. would have had to destroy it anyway. The post war tourist traffic would be out of control. Also as part of the American handover in the mid 1950`s, the building would have to be destroyed, as so many were.

Mannheim

Re: Steps for headwest

Post by Mannheim » 31 Jan 2023, 04:13

This photo appears in Florian Beierl's "Inside Hitler's Mountain", only in better quality.
Attachments
EB 1.jpg
EB 1.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

headwest

Post by headwest » 31 Jan 2023, 17:18

Thank you for this pic, for me it shows the step wall i was wondering about. be cool to see if there was the one piece of concrete at the bottom like in the current pic

i of course can be totally wrong and off base but would be very interesting to me at least if the remains seen are of the wall in the pic

thanks!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 31 Jan 2023, 18:19

Hi all,
The strip of concrete running along the ground is thought to be the front of the garage floor, where the front wall was built up. The remains at the side are probably what’s left of the base of the inner brick part of the garage wall on that side, after the cladding stones were removed when the garage was demolished.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

headwest

Post by headwest » 06 Feb 2023, 19:10

Ah, thanks Geoff! so much for my "discovery" lol

still interesting though and at least you are able to see part of the actual structure still

Geoff, do you knwo if there are any other photos of the day the berghof was blown up? I have only seen 1 or 2 that you always see when this is discussed

you would think someone, the local government? would have taken many just to see how it had all gone

is there a vault somewhere that has photos of that day, and the days after anywhere?

I am always wondering what was left and then just buried

- basement?
- the steps to the front door
- garage was for a while, was it also blown up or just buried?

anyway, thanks for the info Geoff!

Mike Tal

Post by Mike Tal » 08 Feb 2023, 11:10

headwest wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 19:10
Ah, thanks Geoff! so much for my "discovery" lol

still interesting though and at least you are able to see part of the actual structure still

Geoff, do you knwo if there are any other photos of the day the berghof was blown up? I have only seen 1 or 2 that you always see when this is discussed

you would think someone, the local government? would have taken many just to see how it had all gone

is there a vault somewhere that has photos of that day, and the days after anywhere?

I am always wondering what was left and then just buried

- basement?
- the steps to the front door
- garage was for a while, was it also blown up or just buried?

anyway, thanks for the info Geoff!
Well, one could say that when standing on the place where Berghof used to be, one is standing also on Haus Goering :)

Biber

Post by Biber » 08 Feb 2023, 15:21

Geoff Walden wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 18:19
Hi all,
The strip of concrete running along the ground is thought to be the front of the garage floor, where the front wall was built up. The remains at the side are probably what’s left of the base of the inner brick part of the garage wall on that side, after the cladding stones were removed when the garage was demolished.
Do you suggest this strip of concrete is the foundation or footer for the Garage wall? Or could it be the walkway that ran outside of the garage wall? I believe there's a picture of AH going for a walk along that walkway.

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Feb 2023, 16:12

interesting either way, in that, it seems to be an actual part of the original building and not dumped scrap from other parts of the mountain??

Biber

Post by Biber » 20 Feb 2023, 16:45

Fyi - a new video exploring the Berghof site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoQNEv6_Jx0

It's sponsored by the The Gettysburg Museum of History which has quite a few AH items in its collection, including fabric swatches from the AH suicide couch.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 21 Feb 2023, 16:25

MANY THANKS, Biber -- this new video provides a number of memory updates for me...since I haven't been on the Berghof/Obersalzberg property for 25 years!

Br. James

Biber

Post by Biber » 21 Feb 2023, 18:06

Glad to share whatever I stumble across. While such videos are great to see, I think they're very valuable to us to see what's currently going on with the site.

Mark Felton just this morning posted a photo from the Berghof site: https://yt3.ggpht.com/hzLbOwsS5hX5OtdlD ... s640-nd-v1 He has apparently been vacationing in southern Germany. Perhaps he'll post a video on the Berghof in the near future.

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 21 Feb 2023, 21:43

That was a really interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

Can any of the more knowlegable people confirm that the video details are correct?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”