Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
MementoMori

Hotel Zum Turken UPDATE

Post by MementoMori » 03 Feb 2024 22:26

Latest news on Hotel Zum Turken...

I have heard that the Bavarian government intend to buy Hotel Zum Turken off the new owners and turn it into a "youth centre".

Without wishing to sound sceptical, this will likely result in unsympathetic remodelling of the building to render it all but unrecognisable, as per the Bavarian government's approach to other historic properties in and around Berchtesgaden and the Obersalzberg. The irony is that this particular building pre-dates the Third Reich by over a century.

It is very unlikely the tunnels below the Zum Turken will ever be opened to the public again.

MementoMori

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by MementoMori » 06 Feb 2024 13:26

I'm inclined to think that the original Berghof steps are under there today, in some form.

See the faint line of them (highlighted red) in this demolition photo. The line traces the left-hand side of the steps if ascending them from the driveway.
Berghof steps.jpg
The lower section appears to have already been partly buried by the look of it.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 06 Feb 2024 21:38

There was a lot of rubble dumped on the site from the destruction of other nearby buildings. I believe some remains are close to the surface, probably on the slopes, but a lot is some distance down, probably more so on the level surfaces. Resident expert Geoff knows more about this and may wish to comment.
Last edited by CraigM on 07 Feb 2024 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

SteveFBS

Post by SteveFBS » 06 Feb 2024 23:43

Do we know if the staircase was fully removed, or was it just buried under tons of rubble?

ne0nite

Post by ne0nite » 06 Feb 2024 23:49

I remember seeing a post-WW2 video of several workers using pickaxes on top of the Berghof stairs area. My guess is that the stone tiles were either valuable resources and thus collected to be used elsewhere, or they actually destroyed them as part of the planned Berghof destruction. I could not see the stairs themself being targeted by the workers axes, and the stairs looks to be made out of concrete. I would assume they are still there, at least partially if not blown up in 1952.

SteveFBS

Post by SteveFBS » 07 Feb 2024 16:20

ne0nite wrote:
06 Feb 2024 23:49
I remember seeing a post-WW2 video of several workers using pickaxes on top of the Berghof stairs area. My guess is that the stone tiles were either valuable resources and thus collected to be used elsewhere, or they actually destroyed them as part of the planned Berghof destruction. I could not see the stairs themself being targeted by the workers axes, and the stairs looks to be made out of concrete. I would assume they are still there, at least partially if not blown up in 1952.
Thanks very much for the reply. Your theory is exactly what I was thinking. Too bad we can't go dig through the rubble and check :P

ne0nite

Post by ne0nite » 07 Feb 2024 19:18

These images are from May 1945. The stairs looks untouched by the workers, but I wonder what they were doing around the big bomb crater. Looking for the body of Hitler, or maybe valuables/building materials?
Edit: Come to think of it, they probably needed to clean up the area so it was safe for the bigwigs to visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Feb 2024 16:55

Posted in Facebook by user Prendergast Larsen

The first since the left is Julius Schaub in SS uniform. The woman looking the camera is Gretl Braun.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Feb 2024 23:12

Source: Facebook posted by Marie Go

MementoMori

Post by MementoMori » 10 Feb 2024 22:32

Can anyone ID where this building was please? I can't seem to place it on the Obersalzberg. Not with that oriel window.

Source: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/34821931?objectPage=36

Thanks.

ne0nite

Post by ne0nite » 11 Feb 2024 00:33

MementoMori wrote:
10 Feb 2024 22:32
Can anyone ID where this building was please? I can't seem to place it on the Obersalzberg. Not with that oriel window.
That is a house from Buchenhöhe, about 1.6 km east of the Documentation center.
It was housing used by the families of Obersalzberg support staff.

Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQSRFz6yPB8t2FAW7
Street view from 2022: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DHxeuzgxwk26q2Ws9

First image from Google, last image from airbnb.

MementoMori

Post by MementoMori » 11 Feb 2024 23:11

Many thanks ne0nite. Well spotted.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 13 Feb 2024 23:01

Quite a handsome and impressive building, and given it's history, it appears to be well cared-for. Keeping history alive!

Br. James

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 14 Feb 2024 02:56

L-R: Gerda Bormann, Anni Morell and...???

I was thinking in Gerda Daranowski but not sure...

Maybe Margarette Speer?

What Do you think?

NARA Archives.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 14 Feb 2024 02:58

L - R: Anna Bacherl, the second wife of Hermann Esser, Eva, Anni Morell, Jakob Werlin and Anni Brandt.
Picture taken in the Berghof.

NARA Archives.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”