Triumph of the will

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Karl XII
Banned
Location: the land of ice and snow where the midnight sun glows

Triumph of the will

Post by Karl XII » 17 Nov 2002, 06:13

I'm planning to write an essay about the propaganda movie Triumph des Willens at a Swedish university. Therefore I would like to have a few links to websites on the topic (the movie, Riefenstahl, propaganda, the speeches in German and English etc) and tips about good books.

It will not be big, just around 15 A4 pages. I'm not 100% sure that I will find enough material on the subject but I would appreciate if you could help me with that. (If I can’t find anything, I have to find something else to write about)

[ Uber ] Vidmaster

Post by [ Uber ] Vidmaster » 17 Nov 2002, 11:27

That's one hell of a film...it is really good.

White Leopard

Begin

Post by White Leopard » 17 Nov 2002, 11:40

At the source. Leni Riefenstahl's autobiography: A Memoir. It was published in Germany under the title: " MEMOIREN". My copy was published in New York in 1987 by the St. Martin's Press. I don't know if it is available in Sweden. I would hope so. Nothing like going to the horse's mouth.

Karl XII
Banned
Location: the land of ice and snow where the midnight sun glows

Re: Begin

Post by Karl XII » 17 Nov 2002, 14:14

White Leopard wrote:At the source. Leni Riefenstahl's autobiography: A Memoir. It was published in Germany under the title: " MEMOIREN". My copy was published in New York in 1987 by the St. Martin's Press. I don't know if it is available in Sweden. I would hope so. Nothing like going to the horse's mouth.
Thank you for the tip. Apparently the book isn’t translated into Swedish, but as long as it is in a language I can understand it’s fine with me. Unfortunately it seems like only three libraries in the whole country has it! But I’ll order a copy at my university library from one of the others. That will however take some time, but hopefully it will arrive in time.

Thanks again.

JLEES

Nuremberg

Post by JLEES » 17 Nov 2002, 14:57

Last February, I was in Nuremberg for three days and stayed at the Deutscher Hof Hotel, which is featured in Triumph of the Will. While in the hotel, I asked for a sheet dealing with its history. Upon inspection, it had typed information about when the structure was constructed and its history leading up until modern times, but nothing about the Nazi period and the fact it was Hitler's favorite hotel in Nuremberg, where he stayed during the rallies. The suite Hitler stayed in is now cut up into three smaller rooms, I believe they are rooms #4, #5 and #6. I had to ask for information about the room Hitler stayed in while there and the people behind the desk were very evasive with answers. Meanwhile, there is also a web site called Ruins of the Third Reich that has a section on Nuremberg and you should see structures there as they appear today and then compare them with the film.
James

Psycho Mike

Leni Links

Post by Psycho Mike » 17 Nov 2002, 15:50

Webster University has some links listed here for info on Leni:
http://www.websteruniv.edu/~barrettb/riefenstahl2a.htm

Not all of them still work but most do. Under Holocaust and war crimes on this site I believe there is a posting on recent efforts to put her in jail. You can find that by clicking on the profile icon below to view my other posts.

Good luck.

Henrick

Re: Nuremberg

Post by Henrick » 17 Nov 2002, 20:08

JLEES wrote:Last February, I was in Nuremberg for three days and stayed at the Deutscher Hof Hotel, which is featured in Triumph of the Will. While in the hotel, I asked for a sheet dealing with its history. Upon inspection, it had typed information about when the structure was constructed and its history leading up until modern times, but nothing about the Nazi period and the fact it was Hitler's favorite hotel in Nuremberg, where he stayed during the rallies. The suite Hitler stayed in is now cut up into three smaller rooms, I believe they are rooms #4, #5 and #6. I had to ask for information about the room Hitler stayed in while there and the people behind the desk were very evasive with answers. Meanwhile, there is also a web site called Ruins of the Third Reich that has a section on Nuremberg and you should see structures there as they appear today and then compare them with the film.
James
Attachments
deutscher hof-2.jpg
deutscher hof-2.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

JLEES

Deutscher Hof

Post by JLEES » 18 Nov 2002, 01:55

Henrick,
That's a photograph os the newer section of the Deutscher Hof built in 1938. That section was bombed during the war and repaired afterwards, while the older section down the street towards the city's Opera House remained intact. Now the newer section is empty (they're trying to sell it off) and guests stay in the old section.
James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”