Führerbunker pictures thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cor

Re: führerbunker pictures forum

Post by Cor » 21 Feb 2009, 03:34

ghostsoldier wrote: Yeah, me too...I think the VB has been completely removed, and the roof of the FB has been removed also; the remains were filled with sand and then re-buried... :cry:
Rob
Yess this is right. And if they dig it up there is nothing to see, because its filled and sadly all the rooms are not there anymore because they were blown up by the russian attempt in 46. So if you dig it up the only thing you can see is the outer walls. So exactly you can say there is sadly nothing there anymore.

The Fahrerbunker is intact but sadly burried, ive heard. Next month im going to berlin and then i'm definetely going to check out the area, even though nothing is really there.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 23 Feb 2009, 23:58

Cor,

Yess this is right. And if they dig it up there is nothing to see, because its filled and sadly all the rooms are not there anymore because they were blown up by the russian attempt in 46. So if you dig it up the only thing you can see is the outer walls. So exactly you can say there is sadly nothing there anymore.

Actually, the picture is by no means so clear. We have seen over and over again the various shelters and bunkers mis-identified, even by those familiar with the area. Those with little idea cannot be trusted to have described things that accurately. From the best of the information available, it seems that the December 1947 demolition used charges planted in the emergency exit and `silo' tower foundations, and blew those up. Those were Soviet action. Yet it is known that the Fuhrerbunker and Upper bunker main bodies survived that demolition; they were found and explored later in the decades that followed.

Then the late 1950's and in 1988 it seems there is another round of destruction and demolition by the East Germans. Yet the pictures strongly suggest that these actions are affecting the Upper bunker, or even more off the scent, the Reichskanzlei bunkers. So the final destruction was not that long ago, just before the reunification.

From a historical perspective, though the recent discovery of plans of the Upper or Vorbunker have pretty much cleared up the question, even surviving walls of the rooms would be of some value, as they would allow confirmation of the interior layout and might reveal if it differed in any small way from the Vorbunker plans. In this sense, like ruins at ancient cities, the position of walls and partitions can reveal things themselves. That said, I do beleive that the text evidence and the photos/sketches post-war, especialy the 1988 ones, probably answer any of the remainig questions that the remains could. In that sense, the elimination and demolition have indeed destroyed any story they might add.

- palaisfan

sinatra1989

Post by sinatra1989 » 01 Mar 2009, 18:56

hi everyone,
Just a quick question does anyone know where this pic was taken? I found it on the internet amongst many others of the fuhrerbunker/Reich chancellery.

http://picasaweb.google.com/freiherrvon ... 5713424738

Hope someone can help.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 02 Mar 2009, 22:51

The driver's bunker, perhaps? The door doesn't look large/secure enough to be the VB or FB, to me... :wink:
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

car_freak

Post by car_freak » 03 Mar 2009, 14:46

I have to say that this topic is very good. Keep doing good job :wink:

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 04 Mar 2009, 20:06

car_freak wrote:I have to say that this topic is very good. Keep doing good job :wink:
Thanks! That is our intent...:wink: :)
Rob

diogenes

Post by diogenes » 08 Mar 2009, 23:35

Hello!

First of all thank you for an interesting forum, i just have to be a part of this.(my first reply)

In page 1 you can see a soviet soldier standing in a room and in another picture (far left bottom in the poster fron Jhonny R side 9) he is seated on the wall bench, ther is also an american soldier in this room with a machine gun on his right shoulder and finaly an american soldier with hangers and a keyring in his hand and a lighter in the other.
I wonder about this room, is it the small conference room also called the map room or is it the anteroom to Hitlers livingroom from which you also could enter Eva brauns room?

Finally, is the floorplan on side 10, the one that appears to be made by an architect firm, an original plan?

Thank you all
Lev

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 10 Mar 2009, 19:24

Lev...welcome! :D

The room in the photo is purported to be Hitler's personal study, the room in which he and Eva Braun committed suicide...if you look at the arm of the sofa, you will see traces of (Hitlers?) blood.

I'm not 100% sure of the provenance of that plan image, but I think it to be from an architectural firm, perhaps Hochtief?
Rob

diogenes

Post by diogenes » 11 Mar 2009, 18:05

Hello Rob and thank you!

I´m sorry but I must have mixed it up, clearly the picture you mean is the one with the sofa in where Hitler and his wife comitted suicide, this picture and room can also be seen in a photo album made by the NKVD (or Smersj?) and a picture with 3 american soldiers who examins it.

However the room i meant was the one called "bunker office 3 copia.jpeg", "bunker office 2 copia.jpeg" and "bunker office copia.jpeg" posted by vorbunker on the first side on this thread. This room can also be seen on the poster by Johnny R on side 9 in this thread, on the poster it is the picture in the left bottom corner.

So sorry to ask again but i DO understand this interest because it has been mine since the early 80:s. Before internet books did nearly not contain this topic and i have only seen a few pictures from this place. That is why i have to ask about this.

Thank you all
Lev

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 11 Mar 2009, 20:33

Sorry about that, Lev...I misunderstood your question! :wink:

I believe that may be Hitler's sitting room/study, as it is identified as such in several references I have seen (the room is also labeled as being his "office" in one of the preceding close-up photos of the table, but one can see it is clearly not a desk, but in fact a table, a desk being most likely to have been found in Hitler's office)...one could assume also that the interior furnishings could probably have been moved around, but I don't think so at the time these photos were taken (that L-shaped sofa would have been hard to move to another room)....the table, sofa and chairs in the photos suggest it to be the sitting room/study, and not Hitler's office.....here's another layout suggesting the same....

I hope this helps! :)
Rob

Cor

Post by Cor » 13 Mar 2009, 00:38

Hello,

I've bought the book by Tony Letissier - Berlin then and now, and in this book they compare these to photo''s and when I look at these two photo's there are in my opinion some differences between those to pictures and between the layout posted in the post above and the pictures.

Differences:

- the door on the right must be the conference room, where on earth must be the door to the cloak room?
- If you compare the two photo's in my opinion the door where in the journalist stand have is thicker and and in the pic where the journalist stand i don't see an openstanding door to gardenexit
- In the first picture you see a box in the edge of the corner, and in the second picture not. (maybe they have taken it away in the second picture)
- The furniture is a lot different
- In the first picture the door to the conference room has some marks, in the second picture it looks brand new.

By the way it is good book with great pictures of Berlin, maybe a bit expensive but they we're a lot of photo's i ve never seen before.

Attachments
bunker1.jpg
bunker1.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 8315 times

sinatra1989

Post by sinatra1989 » 13 Mar 2009, 09:44

Hello Cor,

I think you may be right- in the second photo there is piping/wiring going along the wall and over the door where the journalists are standing and yet in the first pic- there is nothing there whatsoever.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 13 Mar 2009, 16:54

Those could be the same room, only at different states of disrepair and time; here is a clearer image of the first photo...the first photo Cors posted almost looks to have been altered, as the light over the door (and conduit) appear to be missing in that photo, yet the furniture and locations are the same, as are other details...maybe it was poor lighting...in my photo, and the one with the journalists, the rear wall seems to be the same...

Rob

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 13 Mar 2009, 18:07

Those could be the same room, only at different states of disrepair and time
Could very well be since the style of the chair in one photo seems to be the same in the other or perhaps this is
just a style that was used frequently?

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 13 Mar 2009, 19:53

Cor wrote: - the door on the right must be the conference room, where on earth must be the door to the cloak room?
- If you compare the two photo's in my opinion the door where in the journalist stand have is thicker and and in the pic where the journalist stand i don't see an openstanding door to gardenexit
I haven't put much study into this, but I believe the wall and doorway that the journalists are standing in front of is actually aligned with the east wall of the cloak room, not where it's shown in the floor plan posted by ghostsoldier above. In other words, to get to the cloakroom, one would first have to go through the door behind the journalists then take a left. (compare the floor plan above with vorbunker's plan from page 5 of this thread, re-shown below) That would make the doorway on the left in the photo the entrance to the conference/plan room. One other thing, in the plan below, I believe the exit door is incorrectly shown on the opposite side of the Ausgang cubicle from where it should be.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”