Which font was used in Nazi Germany?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
faf_476

Post by faf_476 » 06 Feb 2007 14:27

What about using a typewriter, than scribling, I think that way would be easy to read.

buzzard

Post by buzzard » 23 Nov 2007 21:11

Hi I am also after a german font, one from later in the war from benker lettering, has anyone any ideas of its name an example can be seen below

Many Thanks, this has been driving me crazy!! I used to have this font before my computer blew up!

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 23 Nov 2007 22:54

But why the hell is it "nazi font"???
It´s only a old german font, even today some people are writing in sütterlin (I´m able to write some words too :D)

JTG

Post by JTG » 23 Nov 2007 23:04

A question of context, only?

The questions did relate to a specific period......

Best wishes,

John Germain

buzzard

Post by buzzard » 24 Nov 2007 17:31

Hi anyone any ideas on the font pictured above?

Regards

ghostsoldier

Re: What's this font?

Post by ghostsoldier » 25 Nov 2007 16:44

I B Piper wrote:Hello,

I've seen many different fonts used by the Nazis, but haven't been able to identify this one. It's on a claim chit from the Reichkanzlei in Berlin. Does anyone know what it is, and if there's a source to download it?
I'd like to know this also...I have the 3 above, but the one on your chit is really interesting...almost "modern" or "Gropius Bauhaus".... :)
Rob

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 27 Nov 2007 05:52

Larry,
After scouring the 1800-odd fonts I have in my PC, here are some possible matches to the RC chit font...

They are all TrueType fonts, in this order:

Air Conditioning
Architecture
ArchitectureOneType
Bernhard Fashion BT
Diner Fatt
Huxlee Vertical
Selznick Formal

You can get most of these free from the net...if not, lemme know and I can email them to you if you need them... :D
Rob

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 27 Nov 2007 06:12

buzzard wrote:Hi anyone any ideas on the font pictured above?

Regards
Buzzard,
Try looking here...
http://hans.presto.tripod.com/fonts/stencil2.html
Rob

lintsniffer

Post by lintsniffer » 28 Nov 2007 03:04

What about the font on this http://forum.axishistory.com/files/kurt5_131.jpg and the font I always see on signs with the dramatic exclamation points.

mty

Post by mty » 28 Nov 2007 23:11

I try to approach this question from a professional point of view, being a graphic designer on working hours ;). Before the Third Reich era, Germany was sort of a world capital of experimental typography in the 1920's and early 1930's, most of it was associated with the Bauhaus movement. One of the most popular sans-serif font of the Third Reich era (and still widely used and rightly so!) is Futura which was designed by Paul Renner in 1932. Please see: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/futura/

Many geometric sans-serifs (also known as grotesk typefaces, a name gained in the 19th century because they were regarded as sort of stripped antiquas :)) were favoured in official communication and they tend to be quite hard to identify exactly. Some of them might not have been transferred to the digital type format at all.

Various forms of fraktura, schwabach and rotunda were favoured by poster designers of Weimar and especially Third Reich era since they embodied the newly awaken national pride, the essence of "new" Germanism. They were also regarded as spiritual links to glorious past and being strong and attention-grasping typefaces were well used to that end.

There are some professional articles about the usage of typography as a tool of Nazi propaganda machinery (worth taking a look) and I'm also working on a university thesis about the graphic design and "style guide" of the SS. I will add more information to this thread when I have advanced with that a bit more.

buzzard

Post by buzzard » 30 Nov 2007 21:24

Many thanks for the hints about the font pictured above, but nothing quite right... damn I wish I hadn't lost it when I formatted!!

I B Piper

Gaderobe Chit Font

Post by I B Piper » 01 Dec 2007 14:38

Rob,

I guess the Air Conditioning font is the closest, but the extention of the upper arm of the 'K' on the chit passes through the upright to the left side in a straight line, and the 'C' is more open. Overall, if the Air Conditioning font was made a bit taller, and bolder, it would be very close.

Also, I notice that the letters in the word "Reichkanzlei", seem fatter at the top as they curve around the hole in the chit. The letters in "Damen" and "Herren" on the backs of the chits don't do that.

Cheers,
Larry

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 02 Dec 2007 06:03

There's also a Wehrmacht Truetype font. I can't remember now who sent it to me originally, but I've been using it. Of course, my laptop ist kaput, so I can't get to it right now. I know I've sent it to some people, so maybe a loud yell for help can get a copy.

tibaa

Post by tibaa » 05 Dec 2007 11:41

Please send me nazi fonts.
[email protected]

Kádár Albert

Post by Kádár Albert » 09 Dec 2007 17:36

This could be a good source for fonts: http://www.dafont.com/

(I like the typewriter fonts)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”