Which font was used in Nazi Germany?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
WChurchill

Re: Which font was used in Nazi Germany?

Post by WChurchill » 12 Oct 2020, 19:29

Wow, awesome, thanks, guess I was using the wrong search term ... now to sift through them all!
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm
Winston Churchill

WChurchill

Post by WChurchill » 14 Oct 2020, 09:42

I came across this little tool, which suggested similar looking fonts from a scanned image ...

https://www.whatfontis.com/?s2o
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm
Winston Churchill

VaranusK

Post by VaranusK » 15 Jan 2021, 11:38

I have found that for documents, also Tannenber (or a similar variation) was used:

Some minor differences, though (see for example K or f). A more precise identification will be appreciated.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Jan 2021, 17:30

For a very first impression about the "Typografie im Nationalsozialismus", I would like to share this link:

Antiqua-Fraktur-Streit https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiqua-Fraktur-Streit
Antiqua–Fraktur dispute https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiqua%E ... ur_dispute

As a collector of german propaganda material for more than 30 years, posters, leaflets, documents, and books,
I would like to recommend another search for:

typografie / typographie / nationalsozialismus

Attached one image of a former poster, I own more than 30 original sheets of this poster, like fresh out of print.
Source of the scan: Internet, decades ago, probably from the Plakatmuseum / Essen?

Hans1906

P.S. I bought the 30+ copies on a german flea market in the early 1990s, they were rolled up, the price for the posters
was the price for a pack of cigarettes, about 5,- german Mark back then.
Attachments
Buechersammlung der NSDAP.jpg
Last edited by Hans1906 on 15 Jan 2021, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 15 Jan 2021, 18:34

To me it looks like an artistic hand wrote this. There are too many inconsistencies when looking at the dublicate letters.

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Jan 2021, 20:06

Waleed,

I am only able to "judge" another vintage, or antique poster, when the sheet is in my very own hands, never before.

"My Hand" was always good enough, learning all this from hundreds of books, from vintage, old, or antique auction catalogs,
decades before the Internet. A very long learned lesson.

The "smell" of old paper was always important, the "feel" of old, and very old paper, the so called "flair", about what is
right or wrong, you do not learn all this within an few weeks, or months.

Looking at a one hundred years old poster, the dust, all the dirt, the wear, all this makes you speechless.

Not even to talk about, whoever had the sheet in his own hands before...

Hans1906

P.S. My dream, was always to find one of the many lost Toulouse-Lautrec original posters on a flea market, no chance.
Biggest mistake ever, in the 1980s, a former projectionist, working in the "Wall Kino" in the town of Oldenburg since the 1940s.
The man wanted to sell more than 25.000 classic movie posters, from all the films, he showed in the Oldenburg cinema in
his years as the projectionist over all these years...

The man wanted 5000,- german Mark back then, for a whole attic filled with cardboard boxes, full with movie memorablia.
And I did not had the damn 5000,- Mark in cash. :|

* Collectors are crazy, sickos, they starve with the collcection, dying from hunger with no more food in the house at all...
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

GoeringsPetLion

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 18 Jan 2021, 00:11

Three fonts on one page (Antiqua, Fraktur, and Sütterlin):

Source: Kühn, Erich (1938). Schafft anständige Kerle! Zeitlose Zeitgedanken (11th ed.). Berlin; Leipzig: Theodor Weicher.

Elise64

Post by Elise64 » 02 Jun 2023, 09:00

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what this font is that was used for coding letters and numbers inside the blockhaus? In south-west France (couple of examples attached), the typeface is uniform, but differs from that in other Occupied regions.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Elise
Attachments
HPIM1669.jpg
HPIM1669.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
IMG_2022-08-19-10-57-08-806.jpg

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”