Hitler's study

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 18 Aug 2007, 16:50

Original postcards.

Von Odine

Post by Von Odine » 18 Aug 2007, 17:11

Beautiful Helly!
The first is the AH Office... the Second is the Cabinet Room.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 18 Aug 2007, 17:31

Thanks Helly, beautiful photographs indeed. :D

The cabinet room was linked with Hitler's study by a long corridor. The access door to the corridor is on the far left of Helly's first photograph of the study.

Kind regards.

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 18 Aug 2007, 19:01

Hi,
I think it´s easy to rebuild this desk, not a problem....
I´ve heard that the original chair was destroyed (which fucking bastard was it???) and the pieces sold to collectors... :roll: :x
Maybe it would have been better if they had destroyed the Reichskanzlei by themself before the russians and americans went in and took all this beautiful things!

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 23 Aug 2007, 15:49

Von Odine wrote:I don't think there was a globe in AH's office

This photo shows otherwise. See the globe in the left-hand corner just before the door leading to the corridor connecting Hitler's study to the Cabinet Room. Obviously it has been moved in some of the other photographs.

I contacted the DHM by e-mail and they confirm the desk on display in the Zeaghaus is from Hitler's study in the Chancellery and has been restored. It is not from the Berghof and it is not a replica. As Reichssammler has said already, furniture restoration is very possible these days.

BTW - Another photograph in this thread would seem to suggest that the windows in the study overlooked the Chancellery garden - not Voss-Strasse, as has been suggested elsewhere on the forum. The trees in the garden are an obvious giveaway. :wink:

I have a detailed plan of the building I will post when I can find it on my computer. I will have a look later on tonight.

Kind regards.

Kind regards.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 23 Aug 2007, 16:41

Potsdamerplatz wrote:I have a detailed plan of the building I will post when I can find it on my computer.
Potsdamerplatz,
I would be very interested in seeing that detailed plan you have...I've been interested in procuring a set of the Chancellery floor plans for a while now...did you buy them somewhere, or download them?
Rob

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 23 Aug 2007, 18:29

The globe with the russian soldiers, match with the globe in postcards. but it is differenr to the globe exposed in musseum.
the main difference is i in the wood ring around the " ecuator line". In the original globe this ring is flat in the upper side.
In the globe in the musseum this rong show curvature in the edge.

Cor

Post by Cor » 23 Aug 2007, 20:48

Von Odine wrote:My guess is they are the reproductions made for the film "Speer und Ihr", (or duplicates made in 1939 and stored elsewhere?) ?
In the movie Speer und Er the resemblance with the real study is amazing in my opinion, especially the desk. Maybe your right.

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 23 Aug 2007, 21:17

I have spoken with a guy who worked at the movie "Speer und Er", I asked him where the props are now (the desk....everything they used) but he wasn´t able to give me an answer because it´s not allowed to speak about this... :(

Johnnyrocket

Nice images...

Post by Johnnyrocket » 25 Aug 2007, 05:20

These images are great, thanks for posting them for the forum to view. Here is something I've been working on for a couple of months now. If anyone would like hi resolution images of these, please sent me a message with you email. The files are rather large. Geoff has help me so much with the proper view in realtion to the images I have here on the poster.

Thank you...

Johnny R.
Attachments
Berghof 2nd Fl .jpg
Berghof 2nd Floor, I also have the 1st floor.
Berghof 2nd Fl .jpg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 25 Aug 2007, 16:28

Thanks johnnyrocket.

If I send you my e-mail address, could you please send me some high-quality scans of the Berghof's 2 levels?

Kind regards.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 25 Aug 2007, 18:45

Cor wrote:
Von Odine wrote:My guess is they are the reproductions made for the film "Speer und Ihr", (or duplicates made in 1939 and stored elsewhere?) ?
In the movie Speer und Er the resemblance with the real study is amazing in my opinion, especially the desk. Maybe your right.
Cor,

Whilst I admit the reconstruction of Hitler's study in Speer und Er is a good effort, this photograph shows the desk is not an exact reproduction of Hitler's original. Look at the pattern and border on the surface and compare it to:

a.) The photograph of the desk on display at the Zeughaus
b.) The photograph I posted on page 1 of Hitler's study which was taken in 1939

Also, it doesn't look as large as the original desk, although it is hard to tell for sure from the angle of the above photograph.

The e-mail confirmation from the DHM I mentioned earlier in the thread should end all speculation. The desk on display at the Zeughaus is an original Hitler desk from the Berlin Reichskanzlei (although perhaps not the one vandalised by Soviet troops in May 1945).

Kind regards.

PS - Thanks for the e-mail Johnnyrocket. Those plans are indeed fantastic. :D

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 25 Aug 2007, 18:56

Great images of AH desk. even if it is a prop.
Not to change the subject...but did you know that in the USA movie (50's) on Erwin Rommel staring James Mason they had actually gotten Rommel's uniform from his family, and used it in the movie? I heard that the uniform was eventually stolen from the studio prop (at MGM or 20 Century Fox) room and never got back to the family. I've heard this from various reputable sorces over the years. Although it could be just a Urban Legend.

Johnny R.

Wotan2

Post by Wotan2 » 25 Aug 2007, 20:21

As I have read some years ago the original most important furniture of the Reichskanzlei was transferred to a castle named Reinhardtsbrunn (?) and surveyed the war. They were found by the Americans. I dont know what happed afterwards.

In the late 80s I have seen this desk in an exibition in the Stettiner Bahnhof West Berlin. I presumed it was a second piece made by the Deutsche Werkstätten München. But maybe it was the original desk of AH?

Johnnyrocket

2 of Everything.

Post by Johnnyrocket » 25 Aug 2007, 20:43

Sounds plausable Wotan2...I'm sure they had two of everything it seems. I sure know H. W. Göring had a few uniforms around. Here is a nice image of Göring's sholder board I happen to find on the net.
Attachments
HG Sholder eagle batons.jpg
Goering Close-Up Batons.
HG Sholder eagle batons.jpg (158.28 KiB) Viewed 2591 times

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”