Reichskanzlei Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Johnnyrocket

Re: Reichskanzlei Thread

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2011, 21:06

http://www.saak.nl/battlefield%20tour/2 ... 5%20en.htm

Worth a look, nice site.

Johnny R. :D

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2011, 21:28

A light fitting from the Reich Chancellery. Courtesy REME Museum of Technology Brigadier Gough recalled: “Being on the lookout for souvenirs, I went into the bathroom where the whole of the suite of bath, toilet and wash hand basin was in azure blue porcelain. Using my jack-knife I tried to remove some of the wall tiles but these all broke.”

“On going back into Hitler's office, I noticed that the seat of the chair was covered in a brown brocade with the German eagle woven into it in gold thread, and I cut a square piece of it out with my jack-knife.”

Around the walls were a number of fluted brass columns about 5cm wide by 46cm high, which had originally been part of wall light assemblies. The tops of these brass columns were finished off with an open tulip and the bottom had a tulip bud. By standing on the arms of a chair he was able to look into the open tulip part at the top.

—Information section from website:
http://www.culture24.org.uk/history+%26 ... o/art51676

Johnny R. :D
Attachments
berlin AH.jpg
berlin AH.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 21 Jun 2011, 23:43

Does anyone know, why Hitler insisted on such low lights in the Reichskanzlei, so it was too dark at night? Especially his office, which was described by several diplomats and guests, that it looked more like some tunnel or hangar.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 22 Jun 2011, 04:47

This is the exact sconce on page 101 of this thread (detailed close up).
This image shows the location from the liberators description.
Johnny R.
Attachments
AH Office light location.jpg
AH Office light location.jpg (180.96 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

to444

Post by to444 » 28 Jun 2011, 10:09

Check this out!

The Chancellery in 3D animated movies for download. Great stuff!
http://www.flashback-medien-shop.de

Tobi

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 18 Jul 2011, 00:00

Regarding the remarkable photo of the dead General in the Ehrenhof...

Halfdan said,
"
Very interesting photo! Thanks for sharing

There weren't that many regular generals around the RK at the end. With Hitler were only Krebs and Burgdorf - both commited suicide in Berlin. Krebs' body was found in the bunker by the russians and was also seen there by Rochus Misch. As far as I have read Burgdorf's body was never accounted for; he was last seen in the Propagandaministerium by Hans Fritzsche. I don't believe its Burgdorf though - the body looks somewhat slimmer than Burgdorf; for comparison there's the photo from the March 20 HJ-parade. Furthermore Gen. Weidling came to the bunker now and then, but didn't die in Berlin, so obviously it's not him.
"

Hold on a second. We actually don't know where Krebs body was found, as the Russian account is rather vague. The photo we have of Krebs in autopsy would be about May 8 or May 9. Hence, this could be a genuine original location. In addition to Burgdorf, don't forget Fegelien. Those are at least two major unaccounted for bodies of high-rank. The ambiguity of where Krebs was found (we can't even be sure if the official "found" site was where he originally lay, there was some moving around [of bodies, as in the case of the Weller double], so even a mention of "in the bunker" may be really misleading. Off-hand mentions of the bunker don't necessarily mean the Fuhrerbunker, or even below, depending on the source, they actually reliably point only to the New RK grounds proper. I would keep an open mind here, and examine clues of the uniform and build all the more. He does have a passing resemblance to Krebs after his head injury it seems.

If this photo is genuine, and in setting it is at least, it bears much closer looking at. Most interesting.

- palaisfan

Fait Accompli

Post by Fait Accompli » 18 Jul 2011, 14:30

pavel michalek wrote:Does anyone know, why Hitler insisted on such low lights in the Reichskanzlei, so it was too dark at night? Especially his office, which was described by several diplomats and guests, that it looked more like some tunnel or hangar.
I'm guessing it was related to Hitler's case of photobia (he was light phobic).

herd118

Post by herd118 » 19 Jul 2011, 06:43

palaisfan wrote:Regarding the remarkable photo of the dead General in the Ehrenhof...

Halfdan said,
"

There weren't that many regular generals around the RK at the end. With Hitler were only Krebs and Burgdorf - both commited suicide in Berlin. Krebs' body was found in the bunker by the russians and was also seen there by Rochus Misch. As far as I have read Burgdorf's body was never accounted for; he was last seen in the Propagandaministerium by Hans Fritzsche. I don't believe its Burgdorf though - the body looks somewhat slimmer than Burgdorf; for comparison there's the photo from the March 20 HJ-parade. Furthermore Gen. Weidling came to the bunker now and then, but didn't die in Berlin, so obviously it's not him.
"

Hold on a second. We actually don't know where Krebs body was found, as the Russian account is rather vague. The photo we have of Krebs in autopsy would be about May 8 or May 9. Hence, this could be a genuine original location. In addition to Burgdorf, don't forget Fegelien. Those are at least two major unaccounted for bodies of high-rank. The ambiguity of where Krebs was found (we can't even be sure if the official "found" site was where he originally lay, there was some moving around [of bodies, as in the case of the Weller double], so even a mention of "in the bunker" may be really misleading. Off-hand mentions of the bunker don't necessarily mean the Fuhrerbunker, or even below, depending on the source, they actually reliably point only to the New RK grounds proper. I would keep an open mind here, and examine clues of the uniform and build all the more. He does have a passing resemblance to Krebs after his head injury it seems.

If this photo is genuine, and in setting it is at least, it bears much closer looking at. Most interesting.

- palaisfan
The photograph in question likely depicts Krebs.

Reference the report from Zhukov to Stalin dated 3 May 1945;

"Near the Reich Chancellery, in the courtyard of the Ministry of Propaganda, a corpse was discovered wearing a uniform of a general, who was identified by (Vice-Admiral) Voss as Lieutenant-General Krebs, the Chief of General Staff of the German Army. Furthermore, in the lining of his uniform jacket near the left side pocket a strip of cloth was discovered bearing the name 'Krebs'."

"Examination of the body revealed a bullet hole in the right side of the chin with an exit wound in the back of the head, which proves his suicide."

p.30, 'Hitler's Death, Russia's Last Great Secret from the files of the KGB'; editors: Vinogradov, Pogonyi, and Teptzov

I suspect the Ministry of Propaganda courtyard was something of a makeshift 'morgue' or assembly area to stage mass burials of the manner necessary after a battle; and was located directly across the street from the 'Honor Courtyard' of the Reichskanzlei, where this photo was taken. The body was probably moved to the Reichskanzlei courtyard for the photo ID and to start gathering the body's of the personages for autopsy by Smersh. The exposed jacket pockets look to have been opened and rifled and the boots removed in the Russian fashion.

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 19 Jul 2011, 21:06

I'm certain its krebs. I have an autopsy photo of him.. if i can find it I will post it.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 20 Jul 2011, 02:28

Is the corpse Krebs? It's a bald guy of the right age, but I wouldn't go further than that.
Attachments
corpse.JPG
corpse.JPG (11.2 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
krebs.jpg
krebs.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 20 Jul 2011, 21:49

Adam!

You show us Heinz Guderian in the color pic!

Regards

Vienna

Cor

Post by Cor » 20 Jul 2011, 22:45

The corpse doesn't really match with this pic of krebs.

The coloured pic shown by adam is indeed guderian and not krebs. guderian survived the war so he cannot be the corpse.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 21 Jul 2011, 01:02

Oops, misled by Google Images again! Es tut mir leid!

sinatra1989

Post by sinatra1989 » 21 Jul 2011, 08:51

palaisfan wrote:Regarding the remarkable photo of the dead General in the Ehrenhof...

Halfdan said,
"

"

- palaisfan

Hello,
I would just like to add that when I had a conversation with Rochus Misch about Krebs, he told me that there was a telephone call for him and when he located him, in the bunker, he was dead in his chair. Misch shook him and then startled back, realising what had taken place.

Regards,
Tom.

Progmetty

Post by Progmetty » 25 Jul 2011, 21:08

Any hope someone could upload the high quality files Potsdamerplatz posted 3 years ago? from the responses I see I really missed out on them :(

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”