Reichskanzlei Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 29 Aug 2007 07:14

Cor wrote:
Reichssammler wrote:

Is this real or is this a reproduction. The colors are not the same or is it painted over?

Great pics by the way about the destruction of the reichskanzlei are there more pics?
Shame that they blew it up.

It´s the origininal...but not from Hitlers desk, it only looks like this.

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 29 Aug 2007 07:20

sobel wrote:The actual destruction in 1949 by the Soviets

Look at the picture "destruction 3", you can see the cellar of the Reichskanzlei.
Oh I can´t look at this pictures, ***********

KarmaTiger

Post by KarmaTiger » 29 Aug 2007 08:22

Wotan2 wrote:Is it correct that the eagle is facing to the left? I have heard, that a official states eagle of the period has to face to the right!

the US Presidential Seal and the Great Seal of the United States have, at various points in history, had the eagle's head facing left or right depending on the whim of the president of the day - so no, I don't think state eagles were expected to face to the right back then.

(and no, the direction it faces doesn't have anything to do with peacetime or wartime - that's just urban legend)

ghostsoldier
Financial supporter

Post by ghostsoldier » 29 Aug 2007 16:51

Here's a site with some nice Reichskanzlei and Fuhrerbunker photos, but I can't seem to get them to upload to a larger size.... :(

http://www.contentmine.de/cmi_dt/portfo ... berlin.htm

Rob

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Post by Johnnyrocket » 29 Aug 2007 16:58

Rob,
These are fantastic, thanks so much.

Johnny R.

b14ck
Banned

Post by b14ck » 29 Aug 2007 17:16

here's a few pictures i've found

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 29 Aug 2007 17:20

ghostsoldier wrote:Here's a site with some nice Reichskanzlei and Fuhrerbunker photos, but I can't seem to get them to upload to a larger size.... :(

Rob

Ha, I´ve emailed the webmaster two days ago for a license of his pictures :D

Oh I can´t describe it but everytime when I see this pictures and imagine that everyone who wanted had the chance to go into the Reichskanzlei then I´m really sad....

What a shame that the russians destroyed it, it was a german building and not a russian or US :roll:
It would have been better if Speer had destroyed the Reichskanzlei before the Russians get into Berlin :(

EDIT: Has anyone ever asked Albert Speer what he felt about the destruction of his Reichskanzlei?

Cor

Post by Cor » 29 Aug 2007 19:45

Reichssammler wrote:
ghostsoldier wrote:Here's a site with some nice Reichskanzlei and Fuhrerbunker photos, but I can't seem to get them to upload to a larger size.... :(

Rob

Oh I can´t describe it but everytime when I see this pictures and imagine that everyone who wanted had the chance to go into the Reichskanzlei then I´m really sad....

Yes same here. if i had the chance i :(

And ghostsoldier some great pics. pitty that they are'nt bigger.

great thread this topic.

Johnnyrocket
Financial supporter

Post by Johnnyrocket » 29 Aug 2007 19:49

I'm weighing in on this also, these are just fantastic images, thanks again for the great pics. If only we had a time machine!

Johnny R.

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 29 Aug 2007 20:08

Love this thread. Thanks for all the pictures.

Cheers,

I B Piper

ghostsoldier
Financial supporter

Post by ghostsoldier » 29 Aug 2007 21:26

Reichssammler wrote:Ha, I´ve emailed the webmaster two days ago for a license of his pictures :D

What a shame that the russians destroyed it, it was a german building and not a russian or US :roll:
It would have been better if Speer had destroyed the Reichskanzlei before the Russians get into Berlin :(

EDIT: Has anyone ever asked Albert Speer what he felt about the destruction of his Reichskanzlei?

Good luck with the licensing, Reichsammler...let us know how it works out! :D

b14ck...there are some pics in there I have never seen...thanks for posting!

I have always wondered now Speer felt about that, also...the Reichskanzlei could have been considered the best of his life's work; it wasn't bad enough to be incarcerated in Spandau, but to know that the Russians were destroying the "jewel" in the crown must of been hard for him to accept. I'm not making excuses for the role he played in the war; but to me, he was always first and formost an artist...he just picked the wrong mentor. Just imagine what he could have done (architecture-wise) if he had been brought to the U.S., like Werner Von Braun, and escaped the clutches of the Russians....and that's the one thing for which I'll never forgive the Soviets: the lack of foresight. The Reichskanzlei could have been turned into a Russian Embassy (or some other government facility); at least the structure would have been spared....and after the eventual downfall of the Communist regime, could have been reverted to a "neutral" state, sans the hammer-and-sickle and star motifs that would have surely been added. It does make me sad indeed to know that I'll never be able to walk it's halls and marvel at it's granduer, like I have done in Washington and other historically significant areas here in the United States.

It appears that the only solace we have available to us now are the pictures and histories of this great building...we can only stroll through it's phantom halls and galleries in our thoughts and dreams.

Rob

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 01 Sep 2007 12:44

Hi,
I think I can visit a archive where some furniture from Berlin is still stored...I had to write many letters to severall archives :(
It´s very interesting, I do my best to get a list with all the members who helped to bring the Reichskanzlei furniture out of Berlin...
I´m looking for a cheap travel ticket to castle Augustusburg where some furniture was stored.

But a question is answered, the most of the items from the Reichskanzlei was taken away in 43/44.

Cor

Post by Cor » 01 Sep 2007 19:37

The text under this pic said that this is the fuhrerbunker, but that's not possible because the bunker is under the ground and if its the exit, is it not to large to be the emergency exit?

Reichssammler

Post by Reichssammler » 01 Sep 2007 21:20

That´s the Hochbunker with the Flaktürme in Berlin...I don´t remember the name of the Bunker...

I B Piper

Gummed embossed seal-stamp

Post by I B Piper » 02 Sep 2007 12:45

It looks like this one wasn't too large an image to post. I'm not sure what these were used for, perhaps to seal the flap on an envelope containing an invitation.

Best Regards,

I B Piper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”