The Munich Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: The Munich Thread

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 Jul 2010, 00:24

During the tour that took us down into those tunnels, they told us that the tunnels DID give access to the Ehrentempel. They said that was how the guards were changed. Now, I don't know how this worked - that is, I don't know exactly where this access came out at the Ehrentempel (they didn't tell us that :? ).

They also told us that the tunnel that ran to the Verwaltungsbau was collapsed some way along (bombing damage), but we didn't go far enough on the tour to see that.

Geoff

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 27 Jul 2010, 02:46

Keir,

I haven't been able to spend more than an afternoon in Munich for the last couple of years so I don't get the opportunity anymore for any in depth sleuthing around the city...... I recently read a book "Munich - The 1938 Appeasement Crisis". Apparently, Neville Chamberlain's party stayed at the "Hotel Regina Palast" which I had never heard of before. It's in the west end of the city, one block from the Justizpalast. The location is Maximiliansplatz and Max Josef Strasse. Google earth Lat/Long N48 08 31.66 E11 34 14.73

A picture or two of the building (it looks like the original structure) as well as a guess as to what it's being used for today would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ecam

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 27 Jul 2010, 19:50

Thanks, Geoff...that's interesting stuff! The method used of changing guards is intriguing...were there camouflaged/hidden trap doors in the Ehrentempel? Secret elevator lifts, a'la The Batcave? :D

I've never seen photographic evidence of either, but those temples were pretty massive, so I guess it's a possibility...I would (almost) give an appendage to see if there was an undiscovered, off-limits secret anteroom somewhere under there! :wink:
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Keir

Post by Keir » 04 Aug 2010, 07:15

Ecam,
Give me some time; I'll try to make a trip down to Munich this weekend provided it stops raining. Today it's off to what was Stalag VII A in Moosburg. From what I understand the hotel was completely destroyed but has since been rebuilt and is now the offices of an insurance company and is located near the Platz der Opfer des Nationalsoziallsmus. In the meantime, I found a photo of it in 1927 so it will be interesting to compare:
Attachments
myphoto1.jpeg
myphoto1.jpeg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

Keir

Post by Keir » 04 Aug 2010, 08:56

I want to keep this thread limited to sites around Munich, but thought I'd share these photos I took the other day whilst visiting areas around Dachau (which after all is linked by the S line and regular buses). This is the SS shooting range in Hebertshausen, a municipality which adjoins Dachau, built in 1937 and where roughly 4,000 imprisoned Soviet soldiers were executed from November 25 1941 to the final year of the war. Geoff has a number of photos of it at http://www.thirdreichruins.com/dachau.htm, but not of the actual entrance where the SS runes have long been removed but their traces remain on the now superfluous posts; the period photo is from April 30, 1945.
Attachments
2172.JPG
2172.JPG (47.73 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
2170.JPG
2170.JPG (51.77 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
myphoto.jpeg
myphoto.jpeg (10.2 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Aug 2010, 04:49

Great pics, Keir! I didn't even know those entry posts were there - where are they, in relation to the shooting range backstop?

Always something new to see! :D

Thanks,

Geoff

Keir

Post by Keir » 05 Aug 2010, 08:32

Geoff, I thought you had to go through them to enter the range but seeing your photo of the former main SS building, it looks like you entered the facility from the right and past it, whereas I took the road from the main road to the left of the building which you can kind of make out in the last photo I took before the battery died. The period photo taken from the information board at the site immediately made me recognise them although I can't seem to find any other such images.
Attachments
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 06 Aug 2010, 16:47

Thanks Keir, Ill look forward to your investigations. From Google Earth, the building looks original but we shall see!

Cheers,

Ecam

murx

Post by murx » 06 Aug 2010, 21:05

I hope it is clear that the conception and planning of that complete place with its building originates from King Louis (Ludwig) II. of Bavaria, who is responsible for a number of similar building projects (see attachment for another one) . For his love of architecture and Wager operas he plundered the war cash register of Bavaria and therefore in the end was declared to be insane. The original plans were from Karl von Fischer out of the year 1810. After him Leo von Klenze continued. The place was finished with the buildings in 1829. Hitler's architect Paul Ludwig Troost removed the plants (which obviously came back) and added two buildings.
http.pdf
(248.12 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Keir

Post by Keir » 21 Aug 2010, 18:17

On the 12th page of this thread, pionier44 provided several photos of the area around Konigsplatz, including a few on top the Ehrentempels. In a couple are shown small holes which he suggests could have been used for drainage; indeed, he later asks "the only visible thing up top is some open stand pipes. Were these for the eternal flames?"
I had time this week to quickly take a couple of students around Konigsplatz. I had my picture taken next to one for perspective as another poster enquired as to their size. The other picture shows an enscribed slab of which I would be keen to know if anyone has any thoughts on. h[url]ttp://tinyurl.com/yfegz5e[/url]
Attachments
myphoto-3.jpg
myphoto-3.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 910 times
myphoto-2.jpg
myphoto-2.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Last edited by Keir on 21 Aug 2010, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Keir

Post by Keir » 21 Aug 2010, 18:35

Whilst visiting the former site of the Brown House I saw this notice; apparently there will be a NS Documentation Centre built there after all.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 30 Aug 2010, 17:07

Are there any other little unknown buildings or sites that one should visit after all the other well known ones?
I particuliarly like the meeting places and restaurents like Keir mentioned Schelling Salon?

Will be there in Oktober and would like to take the opportunity to get in all the places that I can.

Personally I am not keen on HofBrauHaus http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html
its so busy and I don't find the food all that good!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 30 Aug 2010, 19:13

Hi Annelie,

I recently redid the Munich section of my webpage, which now includes several of the less prominent, or more out-of-the-way sites that can be seen. And of course, there are others as well ... always something new to see! :D

Geoff

http://thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm

PS - The food is excellent at the Osteria Italiana (Osteria Bavaria in Hitler's time), but it can be expensive. But the ambience is great ... right down to the waiter coming to your table with a white towel draped over his arm.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 30 Aug 2010, 19:31

Thanks Geoff,

Without your webpage I wouldn't have seen or done half the things I have in the past. I used your site for my
itinerary. Saved me tons of time and oh yes, I learned a lot. So, many thanks.

Will look at the new updates to plan my time wisely. :roll:

Annelie

Fait Accompli

Post by Fait Accompli » 31 Aug 2010, 16:15

Geoff Walden wrote:PS - The food is excellent at the Osteria Italiana (Osteria Bavaria in Hitler's time), but it can be expensive. But the ambience is great ... right down to the waiter coming to your table with a white towel draped over his arm.
The Osteria Italiana is featured in Rainer Werner Fassbinder's film, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Angst essen Seele auf). In the scene, which takes place in 1970s Munich, a waiter frowns disapproval at the mixed-race marriage of a newly wedded couple celebrating at the restaurant. I often wondered if Fassbinder was making a statement by choosing that particular restaurant for his scene.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”