The Munich Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Keir

Re: The Munich Thread

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 18:56

9. It doesn't appear to have any rhyme or reason with these reliefs, Annelie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 18:57

10. Another erased swastika and eagle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 18:58

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:00

12. I think the top shows aeroplanes whilst the bottom looks like a boss in some English cathedral; one would expect to see a Greene man pop up.

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:02

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:03

This is from the House of German Doctors; just wanted to make sure the snakes were still there...
Last edited by Keir on 12 Aug 2011 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Aug 2011 19:05

Keir, these are fascinating! Thanks!

This must have been a Nazi Wohnsiedlung, complete with all sorts of popular motif decorations. I am going to hazard a wild guess on the one with the two rams' heads ... maybe Jason and the Argonauts, out after the Golden Fleece? Who knows - that's a very wild guess!

Geoff

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:07

odeon wrote:heres another one to check out, Its a huge building and on all four corners there are third reich reliefs showing a number of different things. under each one are two shields that would have had swasticas in them, they have been scratched out. I would love any more info on this building
I also went here and only saw three corners bearing reliefs; this is the third one:

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:14

I also took a photo of the inscription on the obelisk at Karolinenplatz. Hitler specifically referred to it in his final speech before the court on March 27, 1924 during his putsch trial when he declared: "It will be said one day, I can assure you, of the young men who died in the uprising what the words on the Obelisk say: 'They too died for the Fatherland!' That is the visual proof of the success of November eight, that in its wake youth rises like a raging flood and is united. That is the great success of the eighth of November: it has not led to depressed spirits but has brought the people to the highest pitch of enthusiasm. I believe that the hour will come when the masses who today bear our crusading flags on the streets will join with those on November eight shot at them." In fact, when Hitler often maintained in party circles that the victims of June 30 had died “for the liberation of the Vaterland,” he was alluding to the same inscription.

Keir

Post by Keir » 12 Aug 2011 19:21

Geoff Walden wrote:Keir, these are fascinating! Thanks!

This must have been a Nazi Wohnsiedlung, complete with all sorts of popular motif decorations. I am going to hazard a wild guess on the one with the two rams' heads ... maybe Jason and the Argonauts, out after the Golden Fleece? Who knows - that's a very wild guess!

Geoff
Well, a few more for your collection of swastikas and reichsadlers. Did you ever get my email of Nazi reliefs in Augsburg:

odeon

Post by odeon » 13 Aug 2011 17:49

Keir wrote:
odeon wrote:door frame is at Klugstrasse 166 by olympia park, the building is pretty crazy it has alot of astrological, masonic, and third reich stuff over each door, in most cases, the swasticas have been scratched out, the pic i showed was the only one that had been preserved.
I spent today cycling around Munich, and made this the focal point (besides a quixotic attempt to compare the route of the putsch with today).
I'm so grateful to Odeon for coming here and sharing these sites; I wouldn't have known about them otherwise. I'm not sure how he happened to stumble on some as they are a bit out of the way,
For the reliefs here, I was surprised to see so many; nearly every door in these buildings (pl) has a symbol of some sort. Here are a few; the rest I've posted on my website but it will take some time to put them in some sort of order.
In the meantime, here's an apparent reichsadler, caduceus and swords to start this off.
No problem man, Im glad you got to go and see them, as far as how i found them, I just have friends all over Munich, and just from cruising around to different places, i see alot of things. Klugstr. is a pretty crazy building, i got the impression that there were alot of masonic symbols there as well. I remember seeing a door frame with a compass and square and I though it was odd to have nazi symbols and masonic symbols on the same building. Anyway, im glad you got to check them out, shoot me a PM the next time your in munich and we could meet up sometime. see ya

Keir

Post by Keir » 04 Sep 2011 12:30

Wife's gone with the kid for TEN weeks which will allow me the go off to the obscure places around Munich at least once a week. Yesterday I managed to get my guidebook stolen which rather put a damper on my ambitions. In the meantime, here are a couple of reichsadlers from the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum and the Funk Kaserne (where I met someone who served there 50 years ago).

Keir

Post by Keir » 04 Sep 2011 17:10

Would anyone know about the Technische Universität buildings across from the Alte Pinakothek- does it predate the NSDAP era, and is any particular significance attached to the various symbols that adorn the front? It certainly appears to assert Munich's ties with Italy, specifically Florence, but I as under the impression that it had served some function for the Nazis.

Schultze

Post by Schultze » 04 Sep 2011 17:54

I think Prof Messerschmitt studied here

Keir

Post by Keir » 29 Dec 2011 21:29

Here's a photograph of Karolinenplatz from the obelisk during the Munich conference:

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”