The Munich Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.

Geoff Walden

Munich Archives

Post by Geoff Walden » 19 Mar 2012, 20:34

Does anyone have any contacts at the Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv and/or the Staatsarchiv München? I want to visit both Archives and view and copy some documents there, but I would like to "pave the way" beforehand. I can look up the contacts on the internet (and have done so), but I would much rather deal with someone who has experience researching in these Archives, or who can put me in contact with someone "on the inside" who can help me, rather than to just send them a request out of the blue. Please send me an IM if you can help - thanks!

Oberhessin

Re: The Munich Thread

Post by Oberhessin » 22 Mar 2012, 10:09

Geoff, I sent you a message...

If somebody is in Munich around the 19th. of April, I will talk about the former Bormann-Siedlung and its inhabitants in Pullach, Townhouse.

panzerplatten

Post by panzerplatten » 23 Mar 2012, 09:15

Attachments
Image0235-1.jpg

panzerplatten

Post by panzerplatten » 23 Mar 2012, 09:18

700euro for this reproduction enigma I spotted in shop window.
http://forum.axishistory.com/download/f ... &id=274957
Attachments
DSC00124-1.jpg

panzerplatten

Post by panzerplatten » 23 Mar 2012, 10:39

Another shop paradise for collectors,
http://forum.axishistory.com/download/f ... &id=274961
Attachments
Image0208-1.jpg

b14ck
Banned

Post by b14ck » 03 Jul 2012, 10:42

Hitler in Munich

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jul 2012, 11:04

Why was Julius Streicher the "leader" of the annual 9th Nov. marches? Most of the time he was seen out front, even in front of Grimminger and the Blutfahne color guard. What did Streicher do on 9 Nov. 1923 to merit this seeming position of honor in the marches, or why was he out front?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 04 Jul 2012, 01:37

I recall a discussion of the bearers of the Blood Flag on this forum some time ago Geoff and it might be here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30 although to be truthful I only did a quick search as I am in a bit of a hurry this morning.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 04 Jul 2012, 02:01

While I'm on the subject, I was in Munich in 2010 and one Sunday there was some sort of anti-nuclear demonstration in the Konigsplatz. I was amused at the irony of seeing it once again filled with flags and agitated people. However, perhaps because of the demonstration the gate to the rear of the Fuhrerbau was left open and unattended. What's a bloke to do? I immediately forgot any German I knew and walked through, planning on being a lost tourist if challenged which I was not. I took photos of everything, especially the site of the Brown House. Having seen no photos of the back of the Fuhrerbau, I took plenty and was surprised at the amount of spang damage still present. On previous trips the Brown House site had been a hole in the ground and while construction is continuing there wasn't a lot of evidence of the area changing all that much although I'm surprised that the remains of the Ehrentempel are still untouched. Anyway, for what it's worth, here are the photos. I will post them in two separate posts so as not to upset the moderators. If anyone wants to see the lot, please just indicate to that effect.
Attachments
BH2.jpg
Rear of the Fuhrerbau.
BH3.jpg
Sorry about the focus: I was expecting a tap on the shoulder ...
BH4.jpg
Facing Briennerstrasse, I think.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 04 Jul 2012, 02:09

Second lot. I was sort of half-hoping to find evidence of the tunnel from the Fuhrerbau but the best I could do was the drain cover in the second photo.
Attachments
BH8.jpg
BH9.jpg
BH10.jpg
Ehrentempel

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Jul 2012, 10:33

Mannheim wrote:While I'm on the subject, I was in Munich in 2010 and one Sunday there was some sort of anti-nuclear demonstration in the Konigsplatz. I was amused at the irony of seeing it once again filled with flags and agitated people. However, perhaps because of the demonstration the gate to the rear of the Fuhrerbau was left open and unattended. What's a bloke to do? I immediately forgot any German I knew and walked through, planning on being a lost tourist if challenged which I was not. I took photos of everything, especially the site of the Brown House. Having seen no photos of the back of the Fuhrerbau, I took plenty and was surprised at the amount of spang damage still present. On previous trips the Brown House site had been a hole in the ground and while construction is continuing there wasn't a lot of evidence of the area changing all that much although I'm surprised that the remains of the Ehrentempel are still untouched. Anyway, for what it's worth, here are the photos. I will post them in two separate posts so as not to upset the moderators. If anyone wants to see the lot, please just indicate to that effect.
Hi Mannheim,

Thanks for the link - it doesn't say why Streicher was out front, but it gives a LOT of identifications of the men who appeared in those photos.
Mannheim wrote:What's a bloke to do? I immediately forgot any German I knew and walked through, planning on being a lost tourist if challenged which I was not.
One of my favorite "ruses" ... it has worked for me almost every time I had to try it. I even have a German friend who sometimes conveniently forgets his Deutsch when we are together and presented with a similar situation (and he's probably reading this too!) :milwink:

That area where the Braun Haus was located is all under construction now, building an NS Dokumentation Center (to open late next year or in 2014). I took this photo in May. The Ehrentempel will apparently not be involved, although the work goes pretty close to it (it's at the left in this photo). The excavation has covered the area where Adolf Wagner was buried, so I guess this ends the debate on whether his body was left in the grave after the war (apparently not). The tunnels running beneath there, between the Führerbau and Verwaltungsbau are really pretty far beneath the surface, but at times the entryway into the Ehrentempel basement has been exposed. But it been recovered when I was there in May.
Attachments
NSdokuzent2012b.jpg
NSdokuzent2012b.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 04 Jul 2012, 16:04

Geoff Walden wrote: One of my favorite "ruses" ... it has worked for me almost every time I had to try it. I even have a German friend who sometimes conveniently forgets his Deutsch when we are together and presented with a similar situation (and he's probably reading this too!) :milwink:
Hehehehe...we have a saying..."Dumm darf man sein, nur Ideen muß man haben"...it´s in the sense: you may be stupid, you just have to have ideas ;-)
Greetings
Ralf

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 04 Jul 2012, 19:58

I wonder who's idea in Munich governmental circles it was to build the NS Dokumentation Center on the site of the Brown House?

Was it planned that way, or just an ironic coincidence?

Also, does anyone have any images of the planned architectural design of the new center? Does it, by any chance, have any passing resemblance to the Brown House?

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 04 Jul 2012, 23:57

Rob:

http://www.ns-dokumentationszentrum-mue ... rum/neubau

Take a look at the top of the website. This nice white dice should be the new building.
And of course: To built this "Documentation Center" on this area is a sign.
Note: When we were Nazis, we were Nazis out and out. You would have found no "better" Nazis than us. Now we are "Demokraten" and against Nazismus. And you can be sure, now we try, to be the best Demokraten and the best and rigorous fighters against Nazismus in the whole world. Always the extreme.... ;-).
No more politics here, I promise.
Greetings
Ralf

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”