old "adolph Hitler" bridge is demolished ...(8/jan

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Xavier

old "adolph Hitler" bridge is demolished ...(8/jan

Post by Xavier » 09 Jan 2003, 02:38

from "el norte" mexican newspaper....

http://www.elnorte.com/internacional/no ... 138680.htm

berlin, germany,:

"Demolition experts blew today the last remains of a historical bridge in germany, built in Ratisbona (??) before the second world war and inaugurated with the name of Adolph Hitler"

"the bridge, weighing around 6000 tons, was one of the main routes to cross the danube river in baviera (Bayern) it ws used daily by around 50,000 vehicles"

"the bridge was inaugurated in 1938, just one year before WWII started and was named "Adolph Hitler" after the war it was re-named "bridge of the nibelungs".(??)

"the bridge was demolished to givespace to a bigger bridge, to be inaugurated in 2004."

here is a link to the bridge and its history:

[/url]http://www.czechoslovakphilately.com/ed ... ridge.html

best regards

Xavier

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 09 Jan 2003, 03:04

A little off- topic but isn't it strange that names change when spoken in another language. I mean, i.e. Adolf- Adolph/ Adolfo, Kaiser Wilhelm- William etc.

regards

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 09 Jan 2003, 03:41

charlie don't surf wrote:A little off- topic but isn't it strange that names change when spoken in another language. I mean, i.e. Adolf- Adolph/ Adolfo, Kaiser Wilhelm- William etc.
well, they developed seperately to those different peoples. just as, originally the german "die" & english "the" were once the same word. (english dropped the 'thou'/'du' etc)

its not for the reason, but because of the reason, that languages themselves are different.

Landser

Re: old "adolph Hitler" bridge is demolished ...(8

Post by Landser » 09 Jan 2003, 03:58

Xavier wrote:from "el norte" mexican newspaper....

http://www.elnorte.com/internacional/no ... 138680.htm

berlin, germany,:

"Demolition experts blew today the last remains of a historical bridge in germany, built in Ratisbona (??) before the second world war and inaugurated with the name of Adolph Hitler"

"the bridge, weighing around 6000 tons, was one of the main routes to cross the danube river in baviera (Bayern) it ws used daily by around 50,000 vehicles"

"the bridge was inaugurated in 1938, just one year before WWII started and was named "Adolph Hitler" after the war it was re-named "bridge of the nibelungs".(??)

"the bridge was demolished to givespace to a bigger bridge, to be inaugurated in 2004."

here is a link to the bridge and its history:

[/url]http://www.czechoslovakphilately.com/ed ... ridge.html

best regards

Xavier

Now I took the trouble and looked up the url because I have never heard of a AH bridge over the danube in Bavaria/Ger.

You can tell your Mexican mews paper people to start getting some education on World geography.What it is, it's the Nibelungen bridge in Linz,AUSTRIA.And thats been quite a while.

http://www.czechoslovakphilately.com/ed ... ridge.html

Xavier

Landser

Post by Xavier » 10 Jan 2003, 03:18

Landser:

sorry about the geo mix-up I only translated what I Read, I guess the poor devils got the news from someplace else too, I tried to find the news on another site, in english, but no luck....

Best regards

Xavier

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 10 Jan 2003, 18:09

We're dealing with a bridge across the Danube River in Regensburg (= Ratisbona) here. The bridge was renamed "Nibelungenbrücke" after WWII. The city of Regensburg is parted by the Danube River, which causes traffic problems. That's why a broader bridge is needed.

Attached to the Nibelungenbrücke was collumn displaying a large Imperial Eagle (swastika in the claws removed in 1945). The eagle was removed before the demolition of the bridge. In the city council, a heated discussion has evolved over the futer of the eagle. The Social Democrats (SPD) are suggesting to grind the eagle to dust and symbolically pour it into the Danube river. The Christian Democrats (CSU, who have the majority in the city council) are sperated over re-installing the eagle or moving it to a museum.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 10 Jan 2003, 20:06

Nagelfar, you misunderstand me. What I'm confused over is why names are translated.

regards

Landser

Post by Landser » 10 Jan 2003, 22:29

Karl

There is some confusion in this report from Jan 8 2003.

You are right about the Nibelungen bridge in Regensburg.But the URL
Xavier provided

http://www.czechoslovakphilately.com/ed ... ridge.html

refers to the former Adi bridge.

Besides rebuilding of the Regensburg bridge was allready started in Jan 2001 and is probably
75% of it completed.
Plus I have never heard that it was EVER named after AH.There is no reference in the official History pages of the Nibelungen bridge in R.

Servus

White Leopard

Bridge

Post by White Leopard » 11 Jan 2003, 19:51

Here are some sketches by Hitler of the Linz bridge of his dreams:

To me, it resembles the Golden Gate Bridge of San Francisco.
Attachments
architecture17.jpg
architecture17.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
architecture18.jpg
architecture18.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”