Heinrich II and the Third Reich

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
JLEES

Heinrich II and the Third Reich

Post by JLEES » 02 Feb 2003 20:10

Hello,
I’ve got two Nazi propaganda postcards in my collection depicting Heinrich II on them. One card was used for the 1938 Great Art Exhibition in Munich and the other on a vacation card called “Germany Calls.” I’ve also run across a number of other Nazi items having images of Heinrich II on them. This brings me to the question of why was Heinrich II used on this material? What was the historical connection between this German king and the Third Reich? Was he anti-Semitic, or did he do something culturally important that the Nazis found pleasing? Can anyone also give some historical information about Heinrich II?

Also, on the vacation card there is several images of cities. I can identify the main cathedral in Koln and the Brandenburg Gate on the lower section of the card, and then Nuremberg and Munich along the left side of the card. Meanwhile, does anyone know what the castle is on the upper-right side of the card? By its position on the card I must assume it is something along the Rhine River.

Thanks,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 02 Feb 2003 21:40

firstly, a bit of confusion, thats Heinrich I, not IInd.

He was the first individual to unify germany into one country, and the precursor to the holy roman empire. I can't say what the castle on the upper right is, but the castle behind his neck in the bottom card is Wewelsburg. Himmler decorated every room in Wewelsburg after a great hero of german history. he even had a guest room made after Frederich Wilhelm kept locked and never used; reserved for Hitler himself (Hitler never used it, nor stepped foot in). Himmler's own room was made after that of Heinrich the 1st, or Heinrich the fowler. also known as the Bamburg Knight. He viewed himself as closely connected somehow to him. thus probably the reason why so much iconography of him was used.

JLEES

Heinrich I

Post by JLEES » 02 Feb 2003 22:23

Hello,
I tried looking up Heinrich I on the Internet. When did he live?
James

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 02 Feb 2003 22:45

around the year 900 CE

Himmler made some speeches about how the Third Reich came about exactly (or near exactly) one thousand years after what brought about the first Reich. some say he believed he was the reincarnation of Heinrich I, because of some 'thousand year cycle' he spoke of at times. (Himmler was born in 1900)

Heraklit

Heinrich I

Post by Heraklit » 02 Feb 2003 23:01

Heinrich I was born 876, son of Otto, duke of Saxony. He died at Memleben on the Unstrut, Prussian Saxony 2 July 936. He was King of Germany 919-936. He was elected king on the death of Konrad I and was first of the Saxon line of German kings and emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. He consolidated the German monarchy, enlarged and improved defenses and put an end to the inroads of the Hungarians, whom he defeated in 933. It is highly unlikely that Heinrich I was anti-Semitic.

JLEES

Thanks

Post by JLEES » 02 Feb 2003 23:14

Thanks for the great information.
James

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 03 Feb 2003 00:38

You're Welcome

Heraklit wrote:He was King of Germany 919-936

Yes, I knew it was something like that, 919 to 1919 (the founding of the Nazi party)

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 03 Feb 2003 02:12

Some info about Henry II ("Der Heilige"/"The Saint"):

He was born (sorry, don't know the exact date) c. 970 and died c. 1025.
Henry was a spawn of the Ludofinger dynasty, actionally the Bavarian line of that family became extinct upon his death. Otto I. was his grand uncle (Henry's grandfather was Otto's brother).

In the 990ies Henry suceeded his father as the Duke of Bavaria. In 1002 he was elected king, but had to overcome Hermann II. of Swabia and Ekkehard of Meißen who also laid claim to this title. He spent much time in Italy, restoring the shaken reign of the Empire there. Henry recieved the Iron Crown of Lombardy in 1004 and was crowned Emperor in 1014. Moreover, Henry was involved in a long war against Boeslav I. Chobry of Poland (c. 1002-20), twice forcing Boeslaw to pay tribute. [HELL! I don't know how to translate "huldigen" here. In this case, paying tribute doesn't imply the payment of gold but a symbolical act of submission (bending the knee)]

Henry also strongly supported the Church and patronized various reforms. Well, there are lots of pious legends concerning Henry II.

Henry II. was canonized c. 1150.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 03 Feb 2003 03:49

I remember Reading somewhere that Himmler thought himself the reincarnation of Heinrich I

(forgive me if that was siad already)

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 03 Feb 2003 05:33

Fallshirmjager wrote:(forgive me if that was siad already)

Well, you could have just read through :wink: (or at least used the 'find on this page' browser search ability for the word "reincarnation", if you were actually concerned that is :P )

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 03 Feb 2003 05:45

why must you torture me for my mistake?

its not my fault I was born Unobservant

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 03 Feb 2003 06:14

Just a Suggestion.

the effort used in asking for premeditated forgiveness put toward skiming a bit instead; would make your own forum contributions much more efficient. zero loss to your own aptitude in learning from the posts of others, with the same amount of energy :wink:

noriega

Post by noriega » 03 Feb 2003 09:12

A popular PC game involved a stroyline where Himmler teamed up with high priestess Marianna Blavatsky and his X-files division of the SS where they managed to revive Henry the Fowler. All fiction of course but the special division of the SS is supposedly true (there were expeditions to Tibet etc) and considering Himmler's delusion, it could be likely that he did use his resources to investigate something like that.

Gulbert

Post by Gulbert » 03 Feb 2003 14:49

I disagree on Wewelsburg, that certainly is Nuremberg/Nürnberg.

The castle on the upper right probably is Burg Rheinstein.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 03 Feb 2003 21:24

Gulbert wrote:I disagree on Wewelsburg, that certainly is Nuremberg/Nürnberg.

:oops:
Yes, you are probably correct. I thought something looked not quite right about that picture. the Wewelsburg doesnt have as many buildings around it at that angle:

Oh well, the Wewelsburg was pertinent to the thread anyway. :P

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”