Heinrich II and the Third Reich

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CHRISCHA

Wewelsburg castle picture.

Post by CHRISCHA » 03 Feb 2003, 23:27

Nagelfar, where does that picture of Wewelsburg come from? Is it still standing? I read somewhere that the SS Honour rings of fallen SS men were kept in a cave near by, and the entrance was blown up at the end of the war to stop anyone from stealing them. A romantic tale perhaps but quite interesting.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 04 Feb 2003, 00:37

I found the image through a google image search.

Yes, it's still standing, and its now a museum to the "SS cult & terror state", in paderborn germany. Himmler ordered it to be 'blown up', and a team led by Heinz Macher did aquire explosives, which he found were not enough to destroy it, but they managed to collapse the north tower and destroy most of the interior. the rest was looted by the nearby villagers and probably allies too. it was rebuilt after the war. some of the SS symbolism still exists, and I've heard from people who have visited it that they can still clearly see the outlines of sieg runes & swastikas on the doors from where they were removed.

the SS rings were indeed ordered returned to the SS command at the end of the war, and blast sealed into a cave. its doubtful it was near the Wewelsburg; as they were to this day never found!. to what I know there are very few authentic rings in private collections, and to find this would be a collectors dream. but they are probably lost for good.

JLEES

Burg Rheinstein

Post by JLEES » 04 Feb 2003, 01:50

Gulbert,
I tried looking up Burg Rheinstein. Where is this castle located?
james

CHRISCHA

Thankyou

Post by CHRISCHA » 04 Feb 2003, 02:07

Nagelfar, thanks for that info'.

Gulbert

Post by Gulbert » 05 Feb 2003, 05:47

Jlees, it is located at the Rhine river between Koblenz and Wiesbaden, near Bingen. One of the roughly 30 castles and ruins in that 60-70 km section of the river.

http://www.burg-rheinstein.de/index_e.htm

Blown up Wewelsburg 1945:

And himmler´s plans how it should look like:

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”