Bad Tölz: Flint Kaserne

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Bad Tölz: Flint Kaserne

Post by Mannheim » 14 Jul 2011, 23:54

I was in Bad Tölz last year (2010) and took some photos of the former SS-Junkerschule. It is gradually being turned into a shopping mall so you can wander around quite freely these days - at least I did. I have more if anyone is interested.
AHFFC1.JPG
I hope I have attached these correctly as I'm not really proficient at this yet.
AHFFC 2.JPG
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Ponomarenko

Re: Bad Tölz: Flint Kaserne

Post by Ponomarenko » 06 Aug 2011, 10:44

Thanks for picture! Can you add another pic?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Aug 2011, 01:14

Additional pictures added (hopefully). I am mindful of the moderator's comments on copyright but got the photo for the last (montage) photo from Axis History Forum last year and cannot remember who to acknowledge so if I have offended anyone or done the wrong thing please take the photo down.
The first photo is of the nearby SS barracks. They are in great condition and you can wander up and down the streets between the barracks themselves. The second photo is nothing new: just the entrance minus the flyover which was taken down some time ago (I'm sure Geoff Walden will know when). The third is another shot of the admin block which is itself very interesting. It's obviously locked up and deteriorating (pity) and there are slabs missing in the floor - they probably contained something objectionable - but you can still wander around it. I have phtos of the rear view if anyone's interested. Finally the montage shot which may cause offence. I did a number of other, similar montages but am loath to post them.
A trip to Bad Tolz is highly recommended if you're in the area,I was particularly interested in the nearby Durnbach War Cemetery which contains the remains of roughly 3,000 Allied soldiers, mainly aircrew shot down over southern Germany.
Attachments
BTFKHQ1.JPG
BTFKHQE.JPG
BTFKHQ2.JPG

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Aug 2011, 01:16

Sorry. The photos appear in reverse order. I don't know what happened to the montage: maybe the moderators are quick off the mark.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 13 Aug 2011, 03:51

SOBERB!!!!!! more, more, more!!!

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 17 Aug 2011, 00:40

I don't know how interesting the rest of my photos may be Helly, given that they are more of the same but I will post them anyway. If you go here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=173788
you will find a few photos that you can compare with my more recent ones. I would have done a Before-and-After but I am still feeling my way around the copyright issue (it took me ages to re-find the Kriegs-Junker-Lehrgang thread). BTW, a number of posters on similar threads have claimed that the Junkerschule has been torn down. Obviously, it hasn't: the main buildings and -as far as I can see - all of the barrack blocks are intact. I have more photos but they are once again, more of the same.
Attachments
AHFC03.JPG
On page three of the Kriegs-Junker-Lehrgang link you will find a group of officers standing in this doorway.
AHFC02.JPG
Inside the courtyard. You can compare this with a photo on page 2 of the above link.
AHFC01.JPG
The right wing of the complex facing the entrance.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 17 Aug 2011, 00:43

I may have outstayed my welcome but I have additional photos of the rear of the Admin block if you're interested.

SteveFBS

Post by SteveFBS » 17 Aug 2011, 02:21

Great pix! Thanks very much for posting these and the ones of the Berghof basement. Really interesting! Please post whatever you have.
-Steven

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 18 Aug 2011, 10:15

I have quite a few more of the Flint Kaserne but they are a bit repetitive so I'll be selective. If you stand in the main quad with the admin building facing you and walk to the left you will see some damage on the left-hand wall. I imagine this is post-war deterioration as I can't imagine the Americans allowing this to happen while they were stationed there, especially if they went to the extent of polishing the floors with boot polish. The rest of the building(s) seem(s) to be in excellent condition, as do the nearby barracks.
Bad Tolz is a beautiful little village, only about 30 minutes from Munich by train. I recommend reading Manfred Gregor's "The Bridge" before you go there: it's a great book and certainly adds another dimension to one's understanding of this little town. This link opened my eyes - I had read the book as a schoolboy and never realised while I was in Bad Tolz that this is where it happened:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 4&t=169038
Attachments
AHFBT5.JPG
You can see here where the building used to continue across this space.
AHFBT4.JPG
The aforementioned damage.
AHFBT3.JPG
What boots walked up and down these steps? How many of their owners now lie in Russia and elsewhere?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 19 Aug 2011, 00:45

If you are in the main street of Bad Tolz and you walk up Salzstrasse on your way to Flint Kaserne, you will pass this buiding. At first sight you will pick it as an NS period building. I would love to know what it was before it became the survey office.
Attachments
AHFC08.JPG
AHFC07.JPG

Camp Upshur

Post by Camp Upshur » 19 Aug 2011, 07:58

That building was constructed for a civilian mapping office. To it's immediate left is the former 'period' police station.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 19 Aug 2011, 08:18

Thanks, Camp Upshur! Still a mapping office? Typically I failed to photograph the really interesting building - the police station.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 19 Aug 2011, 08:20

Wait! I was looking to my left. I can see the police station: I must've walked pasted it every day for two weeks. For what it's worth, the little restaurant on the left of the police station has the best beer I've ever tasted and I've tasted more than my fair share.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 23 Aug 2011, 06:45

A couple of nice pictures of the Kaserne in 1986 here:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/38344146
You can see the admin building without the access road cut through it. Compare it with the photos above.

americ0621

Post by americ0621 » 06 Jun 2018, 00:12

Thank you so much for posting! These pictures are going to mean so much to my dad who was stationed there during the Korean War. He is 90 now.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”