Führerhauptquartiere Werwolf

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Martinski

Re: Führerhauptquartiere Werwolf

Post by Martinski » 17 May 2012, 21:52

And by combing the only existing scheme (as published in the Peter Hoffmann book) with the on-site found foundations and the many pictures from the Hoffmann - archives, redrew the exact and precise scheme of the former HQ.

Also went to ALL other orbital HQ's to picture & measure:

- OKH HQ's (2 of them) in the town of Vinnitsa;
- OKL HQ in Kordelivka (near Kalinowka);
- AA HQ in Shitomir (Huiva) - displaying a non-destroyed concrete bomb shelter in original condition;
- W-SS HQ "Hegewald" in Shitomir (Huiva) - displaying a non-destroyed concrete bomb shelter in "almost" original condition.

I cooperate as a sponsor with several Musea in Ukraine (NMHGP in Kiev, the Regional Museum for History in Vinnitsa and the Regional Museum for History in Korsun).

As I'm also russian-speaker, I do give lections in Russian to the Staff of these Musea as well.

Regards - Martin

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 18 May 2012, 01:13

Hitler learnt from an early age that his name Adolf is old for lone wolf.

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 18 May 2012, 08:58

Yes, but this information is pretty easy and can be found in several books saying that A. Hitler used the name "Wolf" during his early days as he traveled a lot for his election campaign.

Source for the name Adolf: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalwolf
In ethymology: Herkunft und Bedeutung [Bearbeiten]
Der Name stammt aus dem Althochdeutschen und ist zusammengesetzt aus adal (edel, vornehm) und wolf (Wolf). Dies kann zusammen als „edler Wolf“ oder „Edelwolf“ verstanden werden, doch sind viele altgermanische Personennamen einfach aus zwei positiv zu verstehenden Gliedern zusammengesetzt, ohne dass die Zusammensetzung als solche eine Bedeutung haben muss.

He certainly liked the name "Wolf" as in "Wolfsschlucht", "Wolfsschanze" and "Werwolf". So far so good... But getting detailed information about the FHQu "Werwolf" near Vinnitsa is a REAL challenge! Believe me, I went ALL the way!

I'm now having very detailed information including a day-to-day diary, a guest and visitors list, exact layout and very deatiled (the original RSD - GFP - Gruppe OST files from the FHQu) etc.

Martin

Biber

Post by Biber » 24 May 2012, 14:40

Was home sick yesterday and when I was flipping channels between naps, I came on to Ghost Hunters Interantional on the Sci-Fi channel. they were hunting ghosts at the Wolf's Lair!

How's that for a non sequitor!

Rodac

Post by Rodac » 25 May 2012, 23:55

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 30 May 2012, 18:34

Martin ...were you able to view or procure any copies of the original blueprints of the compound from the German archives?
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 10 Jun 2012, 14:29

Hello Rob!

The are destroyed! I found the original document about their destruction (the blueprints & schemes) in the RSD - files kept in the KGB - archives in Kiev.

But - Navy Adjutant Karl-Jessko von Puttkamer draw a quite accurate layout after the war as a POW. This layout was also confirmed by SS-Stubaf Schmitt of the local RSD - Gruppe OST unit on-site. This layout is published (and widespread copied) in the excellent book: "Hitler's Personal Security: Protecting the Führer, 1921-1945" by Peter Hoffmann.

So, I started from this layout and, analyzing the about 700 photos by the Heinrich Hoffmann (mainly by Walter Frentz) and a photoalbum from the russian NKVD (after the liberation of Winniza in March 1944), I spent 8 times one week on-site. So we discovered gradually the remains of almost ALL former buildings. In an archeological manner, I took note of every stone, foundation and remnant of everything, took thousands of own photos (all geotagged) and drawings, did aerial photography (HexaCopter with Sony Nex-7) and concluded the job in drawing a VERY true and accurate map & layout of the former FHQu "Wehrwolf".

From now, I am able to reccognise nearly every photo taken in this HQ's and, whenever there is a clue in the background, can tell you exactly where that pic was shot.

We started a series of "Then & Now" photos; I now own about 50 of these - will publish here or in a separate thread some examples. I hope you can appreciate my job...

Martin

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 10 Jun 2012, 14:43

Rodac wrote:Here is another small link.

http://wikimapia.org/4236218/F%C3%BChre ... r-Wehrwolf
Thanks - but I do NOT rely on this kind of information; Wikipedia is very popular but everybody can write or publish whatever he/she wants. People do not even know what to look at while visiting the site...!

After our (I have a very fine and accurate co-author, Mr Andrew SHVACHKO from Kiev) results, we organized a guided tour on-site for the TOURGUIDES of the local Museum in Winniza... They were shocked when we pointed them out where to look and what is there to be seen and to talk about... Believe me, they now know my name...!!!

As there is very few adequate info on the former FHQu "Wehrwolf" and the most interesting and accurate files are in the hands of the former KGB in Moscow and Kiev, it is HARD to get to the point.

I own, IMHO, the largest library upon this single subject in all different languages from all over the world. And I read personally ALL 5,000 pages of the original RSD - Gruppe OST files in the archives...

For the time being, I am planning three publications:

- a "Visitor Guide to the former FHQu "Wehrwolf" - in English & Russian (finished now);
- a photoalbum "The former FHQu "Wehrwolf" Then & Now: nearly finished; and
- THE book for the history buffs: "The FHQu "Wehrwolf" - later this year.

Keep tuned!

Martin

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 11 Jun 2012, 04:37

Martinski wrote: Keep tuned!
Definitely! :wink:

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 11 Jun 2012, 20:08

ghostsoldier wrote:
Martinski wrote: Keep tuned!
Definitely! :wink:

Rob
Yes, please keep us posted! Excellent work.

Blueska

Post by Blueska » 10 Jun 2018, 12:21

Hello, Could anyone help me with the location of the two OKH headquarters in Vinnitsa?. I have learnt form Martinski about "Pigorovo Clinic" " a large chateau-like buiding on the outskirts of town. The Pigorov Hospital I only find is in Pyrohova str. but does not match at all with this description. I am specially interested in the building occupied by Gehlen and Intelligence Deparment.
I would like also know the site were the Prominent Officers prisoner camp was ( the one were Vlassov was during his stay in Vinnitsa).

Many thanks!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”