Thüringen-Haus Berlin

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cor

Thüringen-Haus Berlin

Post by Cor » 14 Apr 2012 17:12

I was watching a documentary about Fritz Sauckel this afternoon and there was a short footage of the Thüringen-Haus in Berlin, so I imediately was searching for it and found on the web some photo's and searching for the location on google earth and it is on the corner Mohrenstraße/Mauerstraße

Here some interesting then and now shots. Is the building in front of the building in the "before" and "after" picture a toilet or loo or is it a entrance for the U-Bahn, because when i was visiting berlin there was a U-Bahn entrance here. maybe i find the picture and than i will post it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 14 Apr 2012 17:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correct spelling

Mannheim

Re: Thüringen-Haus Berlin

Post by Mannheim » 15 Apr 2012 00:18

I'm pretty sure it's a public toilet. There is a U Bahn entrance at the intersection with Mauernstraße (see photo) on the right and the Wilhelmstraße U-Bahn entrance is over a hundred metres on the left. In Cor's modern photo (top) the building on the right with the withered stone is the same building as the main building in my photo, taken in 2011. The red cicle shows the Mauernstraße street sign, the red arrow points to where I think the public toilet more or less was and the blue arrow points in the direction of Thüringen-Haus. BTW, in Cor's modern photo you will see three blokes waiting on the corner. They are waiting for Bratwurst and a bread roll, sold there most days. Next time you're in Berlin I cannot recommend that Bratwurst highly enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 15 Apr 2012 00:21

Sorry, the second sentence in my post doesn't make sense. I am referring to Cor's top, modern photo when I am giving directions in that sentence.

Cor

Post by Cor » 15 Apr 2012 09:44

Mannheim thanks for your explanation, you're right and i'm a bit confused, here is my picture i have taken and that also confirms you are right.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/58044024?tag=Berlijn

Shame they demolish the building and the public toilets

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 15 Apr 2012 22:53

Well that's great! Now I'm confused. Having seen your second photo, Cor, I wasn't sure. However if you look at the attached photo, which I took with my back to the two statues in the previous post - i.e. in the direction of Wilhelmstrasse - you will notice the bratwurst building (for want of a better name) indicated with a red arrow. The building on its left is obviously the one in your (excellent) panoramio photo. So the Kaiserhof hotel would have been slightly behind me on my left and the public toilets would, I think, have been slightly behind me on my right.

Cor

Post by Cor » 16 Apr 2012 18:25

Mannheim wrote:Well that's great! Now I'm confused. Having seen your second photo, Cor, I wasn't sure.
my picture was taken in 2009 and the entrance in my picture was a sort of temporary entrance. maybe that is the reason for your confusion?

Youre explanation is by the way chrystal clear, thanks :)

to the left of my picture was this church i believe.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 17 Apr 2012 00:24

OK, I'm confused again. I'm just trying to get a map right in my head and since it's raining a flood outside and I have nothing better to do I'm going to try and work this out. A question: do you think the U Bahn entrance circled on this photo is the same one outside your photo of the Dreifaltigskirche? If so, shouldn't at least a part of the church be visible?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 17 Apr 2012 07:28

Yes, I've had a lazy day. Another question: in the comparison photo following you will notice that the current building, i.e. the one in the coloured photo (photo 2) taken on 14.09.2011, appears to be the same one as in the prewar photo (photo 1). A check of the shape and number of the windows seems to bear this out. However, in photo 3 (postwar) this building appears to be obscured by another building with different-shaped windows. Any idea what this building is? It must be adjacent to Thüringen-Haus.

Cor

Post by Cor » 17 Apr 2012 08:15

this picture answers both of your questions i think. the building on the left you see here and is also still standing, its on the corner of Mohrenstraße / Mohrenstraße (the old Wilhelmplatz). The top of the church you see here behind the kaiserhof.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 18 Apr 2012 01:08

You're dead right, Cor! I can't believe how stupid I am. The building is clearly visible in the photo I posted earlier ( blue arrow). At least I'll know where I'm going next time I get to Berlin.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 01 Jan 2019 14:40

What was the Address of the Thüringen-Haus during the Third Reich-era? I come up with both Mohrenstrasse 64 ... and 65?!

Best
Halfdan S.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 Jan 2019 06:11

The address of that corner building, AFAIK, had always been Mohrenstrasse 65, during 1933-45.

Thüringen-Haus.jpg
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 02 Jan 2019 11:00

Nice, thanks, Greg.

Regards
Halfdan S.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 21 Mar 2019 14:23

Sorry to say that I've never heard of the Thüringen-Haus in Berlin. Would this have been some sort of official building attached to the functions of Gauleiter Fritz Sauckel, or would it perhaps have been from the earlier times, associated with the Reichstag representation from the Thüringen region? Or perhaps both...?

Always grateful for being taught the history of this region and time in history!

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”