Nuremburg Rallies

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Engineer

Nuremburg Rallies

Post by Engineer » 08 Apr 2003 02:11

Does anyone know what the greatest single attendance was for the Nuremburg Rallies?

I know that the biggest of the Rallies (and last) was held in Nuremburg November 5 - September 12, 1938. The theme for this rally was "Greater Germany" but I have not been able to find any single attendance record for any particular event or the rally as a whole. I heard a rumour that total attendance for the 1938 rally was 3 million, but again this was just a rumour and not verifiable.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks
Engineer

Ken

Post by Ken » 10 Apr 2003 01:41

and while we're at it.. can anyone tell me how the rallies started.. who came up with the idea? what was its intention at first? What was attendance at first?

Brig

Post by Brig » 10 Apr 2003 01:44

established as a show of power and support

FBerloff

Post by FBerloff » 10 Apr 2003 02:32

From those old movies and pics you may say that 150000 people maybe it's a bit short on the real numbers.
8O

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 10 Apr 2003 03:36

Hereit says that 1 million attended the 1938 Nuremberg Rally, aprox.

waffen

world at press at nuremberg rally?

Post by waffen » 10 Apr 2003 07:19

:D i was told many tears ago and" have not "tried to research it but,at the 1938 rally the worlds press were on hand to record there thoughts as hollywood had turned too making movies of the threat of hitlerism shown in western countrys eg; tommorrow the world,confessions of a nazi! maybe one of the moderators could help with some research ideas????. 8) .

White Leopard

Rallies

Post by White Leopard » 11 Apr 2003 05:30

I believe that the first rally held in Nuremburg was in 1928 and was held as a congress/rally for the NSDAP as a political party. This meant that it was similar to the coventions of the political parties of the United States in that it was intended to only serve as a forum to conduct party business. It developed from 1929 on as a grand affair, designed to impress the public with the party's growing strength and to attract new members by the means of pagentry and propaganda displays.

Otto Wagener recalls in his memoirs that Hitler questioned him in their first interview of the impressions he had formed of the 1929 rally:
"....A thin strand of hair fell over Hitler's forehead. He brushed it back as he began to talk without having asked us to sit down.

'Captain Von Pfeffer has told me about you. You were at the Reich Party Congress. What was your impression ?'

I was a little startled by the question. It could not be answered simply, in a few words. After a brief thought I replied, 'I am still digesting the wealth of impressions. It is not easy to sum them up in words.'

'What effect does such a congress have on someone who takes part for the first time?'

'There is no question that he is deeply impressed, stunned by the grandeur of the whole and by its utter novelty. He cannot help but be, as I was, affected to the core by a realization that here a begining has been made, with consequences and potential that are wholly incalculable. And most evident is the realization that everything that happens, that is expressed, that is demonstated is permeated and saturated with a single idea, a single will, a single spirit'...
[Hitler, Memoirs of a Confidant---by Otto Wagener, pg. 6]

The quote clearly shows the fact that the rallies were carefully constructed and had a specific purpose. Here we see Hitler clearly seeking to find out effect his productions had on a spectator. After the party came to power, the rallies became even grander and larger productions filled with pomp, circumstance, and propaganda. They almost ceased to be about party business and became, instead, showcases of national power. The effectiveness of their theatrical presentation, as testified to by Wagner, continues to mesmerize audiences to this day via films and newsclips.

FBerloff

Post by FBerloff » 11 Apr 2003 06:23

Somebody said Nuremberg rallies?

:wink:

Warren Thompson

Post by Warren Thompson » 11 Apr 2003 10:52

Harvard-educated Ernst 'Putzi' Hanfstaengel, an intimate of Hitler in the early days, allegedly played a role in the origin of the Party rallies and other similar occasions. He told Hitler how football 'pep-rallies' at Harvard were useful for stirring up large crowds and directing their energy towards specific goals and objectives.

'Putzi' later fell out of favor and fled the country. He spent WWII in the United States.

[MK]Jagdtiger

Post by [MK]Jagdtiger » 11 Apr 2003 20:20

MissingBlueprints wrote:Somebody said Nuremberg rallies?

:wink:

Eeyy, have you made it by your self for RTCW? very cool. Where can i download it?

FBerloff

Post by FBerloff » 12 Apr 2003 06:07

Soon, i am working on a test version to see if the engine can handle it, because this Zeppelinfeld is freaking huge.

[MK]Jagdtiger

Post by [MK]Jagdtiger » 19 May 2003 14:55

and? have you finished it?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”