Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Paulheald

Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Post by Paulheald » 12 Mar 2013 19:06

I was much impressed with what still remains of the Party Rally Grounds. Whilst examining in detail the film made by Leni Riefenstahl "Triumph of the Will", I am confused in that the scenarios of the Hitler Youth parade shows Hitler and his staff under a large canopy. Assuming that these sequences were made in the Zeppelin Stadium, then I cannot find any trace of there having been a canopy there. Everything else in these scenarios ties in with the Zeppelin Stadium - the banners flying from the flagpoles, the triumphant drive of AH and then whole vista of the Zeppelin Stadium as it was. Has anybody any ideas as to the possibility of another huge stadium being used for the Hitler Youth parade?

Cor

Re: Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Post by Cor » 12 Mar 2013 20:39

without seeing the footage, a wild guess, maybe the nurnberg footballstadion? It was used in that period and looked different then.

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 12 Mar 2013 21:24

I am sorry to barge in at this thread without an answer on your question at all.

I just wanted to say that i am very pleased to see a new thread about Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds here at AHF.

It was already discussed at the Obersalzberg Thread, which has become a very good documented and long on going thread indeed.

I do hope that the same will go for this thread, and that the members will invest time and effort to make it an outstanding thread as well.

When your question has been answered, i hope that some members will post a lot of pictures as well.
I do know that a few members here have lots of material about the Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds and hope they will
share it as is been done at the large Obersalzberg thread.

For now, thanks for opening this thread !
I will follow it for times to come.

Hans.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Mar 2013 00:31

AFAIK, the Hitler Youth footage was shot in the Municipal Stadium which is a stone's throw from the Zeppelinfeld -- literally -and which has been so extensively remodelled it bears little resemblance to the NS period.
I did try to start a thread on the rally grounds here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 4&t=193659
but the best place to start is, as usual, Geoff's site:
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/
I must admit to my shame that despite a lifelong interest in this period of history I didn't realise that there was more than one rally ground until I went there. I just assumed all the rally footage had been shot in the Zeppelinfeld. It wasn't until I took a shortcut through a nearby park that I recognised the Ehrentempel and realised that I was in the Luitpoldhain and that this was where so much of the footage had been shot.
I cannot recommend a visit to the rally grounds highly enough if that is where your interest lies. What really surprised me was how big the sites were and how close together everything is: the Kongresshalle, Zeppelinfeld, Luitpoldhain, Great Road, Municipal Stadium Dutzenteich Bahnhof etc are all easily reached by foot once you get there. If travelling from Nuremberg itself, get a tram ticket from the Tourist Information Centre near the Hauptbahnhof.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Mar 2013 05:24

Thank you, Hans, for your kind words - once again. What I can do is to frame-freeze a couple of pics from "Triumph of the Will" and post them as JPEGs for further discussion. As you can see from above "Mannheim" says that it would have been the Municipal Stadium wherein the Hitler Youth Rally was staged. It looks so very similar to the Zeppelin Stadium apart from the large canopy. Anyway, I will try to post the pics later today.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Mar 2013 13:27

Help! It's been so long since I uploaded a JPEG I have forgotten the keystrokes - some assistance please. I will then post the three pics I have from taken from "Triumph of the Will" concerning the stadium used for Hitler Jugend Rally. Thanks...

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Mar 2013 14:40

HJ-Parade-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Mar 2013 14:41

HJ-Parade-3.jpg

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Mar 2013 14:43

HJ-Parade-1.jpg

Biber

Post by Biber » 13 Mar 2013 16:56

Paulheald wrote:
HJ-Parade-3.jpg
Have there been any estimates as to the actual size of the crowd at that event?

Cor

Post by Cor » 13 Mar 2013 22:40

Paulheald wrote: As you can see from above "Mannheim" says that it would have been the Municipal Stadium wherein the Hitler Youth Rally was staged.
The municipalstadion is the same stadion as the footballstadion. And now i see your caps i can confirm that these are taken in this stadion. I was not sure if this was the footage youre talking about, so therefore my wild guess.

see also this link

http://www.kubiss.de/kulturreferat/reic ... tadion.htm

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 14 Mar 2013 01:07

This sign is posted outside the Municipal Stadium, now Sports Stadium.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 14 Mar 2013 06:23

Thank you Mannheim and Cor - that solves my query. I have visited twice both the Zeppelin Stadium and the Luitpoldhain Arena but dismissed the Municipal Stadium as being of little significance to that era. I assume that this stadium, suitably modified yet again, was the one that hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup. I must have a closer look at "Triumph of the Will" and see if events held at the Zeppelin Stadium show the Municipal Arena in the background.

Thank you Biber for your comment - I have no idea as to the numerical size of the HJ parade, but I suppose that it will be in the records at the Documentation Center. I was just pondering as to how many of those fine young people, that attended this gathering, were still alive in 1945 ?

Cor

Post by Cor » 14 Mar 2013 20:58

this the stadium in 1956, you see the entrance above in the high end of the picture which is still there i believe and at the right you see the canopy. Below in the left corner you see the columns of zeppelinfield.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 16 Mar 2013 05:33

Thank you Cor, that settles the matter for me completely. I had previously thought that the only two arenas used for NSDAP rallies were Zeppelin and Luitpold. I understand that there were two other stadiums upon which construction was started but never finished. One was just a big hole that is now a lake and the other was only partially constructed and demolished after WW2. I wonder how much longer the rapidly decaying Zeppelin Stadium will remain? If the latter was supposed to last 1000 years it has not withstood the first 70+ years very well!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”