Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Re: Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Post by Mannheim » 22 Oct 2015, 17:58

I had another look today: the workmen have finished cutting back the really tall undergrowth on the right-hand side of the seating area (assuming you are standing on the tribune) and on the left-hand side there are two sections on either side of the drive through area that have been completely restored. Also the Rock Socket Screws have been driven into the ground so that only about a foot of the tops is exposed. It definitely looks like the area is being prepared to be put back into use. Btw, the gate to the cyclone fencing was open today so I spent an hour or so wandering around taking photos without being challenged. Also highly recommended is the lunch at the Dutzenteich Bahnhof and a couple of cleansing ales.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 19 Nov 2015, 19:55

Again a little departure ... not the Party Rally Grounds, but Nürnberg news.

The former Gästehaus der NSDAP (Party Guest House) on the Bahnhofplatz is being renovated into a Park Plaza Hotel, which is supposed to be opened in early 2016. This 1936 hotel was very modern for its time (it even had air conditioning, rare even today in German hotels). For years after the war it was operated as the Bavarian American Hotel, but it has stood empty for probably 20 years. Good to see this historic building getting a new lease on life!

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuernbe ... -1.4797182

headwest

Post by headwest » 03 Dec 2015, 18:26

I was just on google earth and checking out these places. you can slide the year back on google earth now to 12-1943. the weird thing to me and maybe someone can explain this is it looks like half the rally grounds are gone? you can see the semi circle of the flag stands on the left but then they stop

if anyone can check this on their end and see what i see ? let me know what you think

also, and not releated but you can now do Berlin in 43 and 45 and its VERY interesting around the bunker area and places. lots of bombed buildings and shell holes but also surprisingly what looks like civilian traffic, which surprised me especially in march 1945

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Dec 2015, 19:57

There is something wrong with the Google Earth imagery. The Zeppelinfeld appears to be overscaled, compared to the surrounding area, and part is cut off. The basic overall configuration as seen from the air was the same in 1943 as it is now.

Here is a USAF aerial view from September 1944, with the Zeppelinfeld at the right edge, showing the whole field as it appears today as well.
Attachments
nbergluftusaf10sep44t.jpg
US National Archives

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 04 Dec 2015, 06:37

As I mentioned six weeks ago, while I was at the Zeppelinfeld some workers bowled up and started clearing the weeds and undergrowth from the stands. There appears to be a lot of work going on to tidy up the place. The workmen left the gate open so I innocently strolled inside. I have other photos if anyone's interested.
Attachments
Zf7.jpg
ZF6.jpg
Zf01.jpg
The workers starting on the right-hand side, looking from the tribune.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Dec 2015, 18:34

I like to see photos like this ... they have left that place neglected for too long. Also, I read an article the other day that said one of the city administration folks (her name escapes me now) has come out for re-opening the interior of the Zeppelintribuene for the public.

headwest

Post by headwest » 04 Dec 2015, 22:46

yes i am interested as well to see this, thansk for showing them.

Thanks geoff for taking a look at google earth for me

that explains it. i posted one of Berlin in another place form march 1945, that was pretty fascinating. it looks like some of the main german cities are there now from 45, probably from recon aircraft?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 05 Dec 2015, 00:06

Those giant screws that someone posted have been inserted into the ground before the weeds were cut back. I took a few photos but the screws were obscure by the undergrowth. It looked like the whole area was to be cleared. I was concerned that the original seating may have been destroyed but as the photos show, much of it still remains. BTW, the Dutzendteich Railway restaurant serves an excellent lunch (and beer) if anyone is going to the rally grounds and the interior is set up with luggage etc to represent the railway station as it was. Worth a look.
Attachments
DSCN1545.jpg
DSCN1428.jpg
That object on the extreme left is a plastic table. Someone has been partying.
DSCN1572.jpg
The tribune is straight ahead, these seats are on the right.

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 05 Dec 2015, 04:59

Perhaps this is why they are installing earth anchors - your photo makes it look like an erosion disaster, in the works! 8O

If this is true, and soil erosion is a big concern, hope they are successful at keeping it under control. In my experience, sometimes it can require much more than earth anchors to hold back soil erosion. Thinking back, it did seem rather silty/sandy when I was there . . . I didn't shove a shovel into the ground [didn't have one on me], so that could have just been loose debri on the top layer I am recalling - but judging by how well the weeds like to grow around the place, my guess is the soil is quite porous. It could even be a bad move to eradicate the vegetation - killing off the root system. It's possible the site may be a prime location for standing water [low in elevation, compared to it's surroundings] - and the nearby Dutzendteich could offer supporting evidence for that theory. Of course, this is only speculation on my part - but If that is true, it could become a real preservation nightmare.
Attachments
DSCN1545.jpg
DSCN1545.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 11302 times
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

w4uvv

Post by w4uvv » 09 Dec 2015, 16:38

:) I am a retired federal civil service employee of the US Army. In 1969 I accepted a 3 year assignment at USA TASCOM in Worms, GY. In travelling in my free time I was surprised the very few physical remains from WW2. In 1970 on a trip to Nurenberg for the Xmas mart I also drove to the Nurenberg Rally Grounds. Attached are some of the pictures I took on a typical overcast chilly day.

At that time I observed some unit of the current German army had some encampment in the rear area. Although faded the 3rd Army color insignia painted in 1945 still is quite visible. The stadium design was very ingenious and designed for mass egress and exits of large numbers of people.

I was somewhat disappointed in the size which appeared to be larger than what I saw in person.

Attached are the pictures I took that day. The red VW Super Beetle was my vehicle parked in the center front area.

Only 5 of the pictures loaded with this post. :D I will try a subsequent post to load remaining few pictures.

John
Attachments
70-195.jpg
70-194.jpg
70-193.jpg
70-192.jpg
70-202.jpg

w4uvv

Post by w4uvv » 09 Dec 2015, 16:58

[quote="w4uvv"

Here are the remaining pictures.

John
Attachments
70-200.jpg
70-199.jpg
70-198.jpg
70-197.jpg
70-202.jpg

w4uvv

Post by w4uvv » 09 Dec 2015, 17:00

w4uvv wrote:[quote="w4uvv"

Here is the last picture.

John
Attachments
70-201.jpg

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 09 Dec 2015, 20:15

John, those are great photos, thanks for posting!

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

Your photos are important historical documents, as they show the Zeppelintribuene in transition between what it once was (with the columns), and as it is now. Also showing some of the damage caused by demolishing the columns, and (barely) the original configuration of the steps leading up to Hitler's speakers platform (these steps were changed sometime in the 1980s to their current configuration, very different from the original).

Geoff

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 09 Dec 2015, 21:57

Excellent photos! Thanks for posting!

w4uvv

Post by w4uvv » 10 Dec 2015, 17:13

Geoff Walden wrote:John, those are great photos, thanks for posting!

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

Your photos are important historical documents, as they show the Zeppelintribuene in transition between what it once was (with the columns), and as it is now. Also showing some of the damage caused by demolishing the columns, and (barely) the original configuration of the steps leading up to Hitler's speakers platform (these steps were changed sometime in the 1980s to their current configuration, very different from the original).

Geoff
:) Tnx Geoff. I have been an AHF member for some time. I just don't post much. However, I always have had a deep interest in certain histories of which span from the US Civil War through WW2. I also am a serious private military items collector. To be honest I had to edit each of these 35mm slides to increase the brightness. The weather that December, 1970, day close to Xmas, especially was dreary,damp and depressing with a cold temperature that penetrated to the bone. Fortunately, at that time I also had a girl friend who took a few pictures of me but never could understand why I was so keen to want to come to this place.

Although Hitler and the 3rd Reich didn't last a thousand years thank God, the marble they used here if untouched certainly will. Notice the picture of the marble anteroom building back of the main speaking area which originally supported the roof mounted large reinforced concrete Nazi eagle/wreath symbol and blown up by the 3rd Army Engineers in 1945. Subsequently, it has endured quite well during the past 70+ years with the exception of losing a few marble pieces at the top due to the force of the original explosion. The demolition picture film footage taken then even today is incorporated in a number of WW2 tv documentaries seen on the History and Discovery Channels and occasionally on other US cable tv networks. One tv documentary series uses this demolition film for each series episode as the opening title scene which subsequently blends into other dynamic scenes (parading troops, Stuka dive bomber, etc.).

I am glad I had the opportunity when I was in Germany to visit this place and take some pictures of what it looked like at that time.

John
Prince George, VA

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”