Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Post by Geoff Walden » 25 Feb 2017 18:51

Great find! For sure, I never saw it before. That must be the Luitpold Arena being destroyed after the war. Do you know the original source?
Geoff

Cor

Post by Cor » 25 Feb 2017 20:08

the source for my find: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 9896b2.jpg

I do not think it's the orginal source, but that's where I found this one.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Mar 2017 01:29

Funding for planned expansion of the Kongresshalle Dokumentation Zentrum, to handle the huge and increasing numbers of visitors who are interested in Third Reich history. (translation by Google)

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuernbe ... -1.5860656

Doku-Zentrum: Fund increases with million expansion
Every year, around 250,000 visitors visit the former congress hall

NUREMBERG - The Confederation is funding the expansion of the Doku Center at the Reichsparteitagsagents in Nuremberg with seven million euros. At the moment, the former congress hall is bursting at the seams from all sides.

The former congress hall - now the Doku Center - is one of the visitors' magnets on the former Nazi Nazi grounds. © dpa

From the "National Projects of Urban Development 2017" program, a total of more than 12.6 million euros will go to Bavaria for special construction projects. Federal Minister Barbara Hendricks (SPD) spoke of "Premium Projects of the Building Culture in Germany" on Friday in Berlin. The Nuremberg Document Center, opened in 2001, is bursting at the seams. Each year, around 250,000 visitors from Germany and abroad are looking for the establishment at the dozen pond. Among them are also many school classes and youth groups, for which there are special offers, but too few rooms. The house was originally designed for 100,000 visitors a year.

The exhibition is partly no longer current presentation standards. Therefore, the Cultural Council had presented a concept for enlargement and asked the Federation for financial support. The Documentation Center is to be expanded to a total of 5000 - instead of 3000 square meters. The conversion costs 15.3 million euros. The Free State agreed to support the expansion with four million euros.
Construction work at the Dokuzentrum is scheduled to start in 2019 and be completed by the end of 2022. In addition to the expansion of the exhibition, a new lecture hall, a project room, a learning lab, a library as well as rooms for administration and a depot are planned.

Plans for the Memorium
The city also hopes to receive subsidies from the federal and state councils when it comes to the rehabilitation of the Zeppelin tribune and the Zeppelin field on the Reichsparteitag grounds. Here, the cost is estimated at 60 million.

The Kulturreferat has also submitted plans for the extension of the Memorium Nuremberg Trials in the Eastern Building of the Justice Palace, Since 2010, the permanent exhibition informs about the history, the course and the consequences of the Nazi war crimes trial.

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 05 Mar 2017 02:14

That's great news, GW - Vielen Dank für die Neuigkeiten!
"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand." ~ Native American wisdom

vexxer

Post by vexxer » 09 Mar 2017 08:40

Hello all,

What a wonderful thread! There seems to be quite abit of knowledge on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me where the following room is located within the grandstand?

Also, does anyone know what rooms are behind the black doors on either end of the "goldener saal"?

A slight contribution (might also be a repost) to this vast archive of information:
http://www.bildindex.de/document/obj320 ... mi12954d05 (quite a few pictures of the grandstand/field I've not seen anywhere else, the pictures themselves have to be "Downloaded").

shaunuk2

Post by shaunuk2 » 31 Mar 2017 11:47

We have seen some pictures of the Luitpoldarena just after the american's captured Nuremberg ,Does anyone know what happened to the two huge eagles that were at either end of the grandstand ?? There are very few pictures of the area being demolished in the late 1960's

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Apr 2017 02:07

vexxer wrote:Hello all,
What a wonderful thread! There seems to be quite abit of knowledge on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me where the following room is located within the grandstand?
Also, does anyone know what rooms are behind the black doors on either end of the "goldener saal"?
Hi vexxer,

I have spent quite some time going through my Zeppelintribuene photos, and I think I know which room this is. But I am not absolutely certain ... maybe 75 percent. Unfortunately, the 3-4 times I have been inside there, except for the first time in the late 90s when the museum was in there, I have been on guided tours and I spent the time taking as many photos as I could, and not enough time paying attention to exactly which rooms I took which photos in.

I have never seen a really good plan of the inside of the Tribuene. I've seen a more-or-less sketch plan of the old museum in there (not entirely helpful to answer this question), and I found this plan online (source - planungsgruppe-hbs.com). But it's so "busy" that it is very hard to use (I have no idea what some of the features shown here are). Anyway, I have marked the rooms that I think are the ones with this particular mosaic on the ceiling.
zeppelintribueneplan_planungsgruppe-hbs.com.jpg
The entry doors into these rooms are at either end of the Golden Hall - the black doors that you mentioned. When the museum was in there, most of the side rooms, including these, were display rooms. During guided tours during the past few years, one of these rooms has been open, as seen in these photos.

Unfortunately, I no longer live near Nuernberg and I can't go back and check it out. Perhaps another reader of this thread can say for sure.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red star

Post by Red star » 04 May 2017 14:10

zepp tank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 05 May 2017 08:07

Oh God...not that tank again! (lol) I remember we spent a long time discussing the mysteries of this tank. It might have been in this thread, in posts "far, far away."

Max

Post by Max » 06 May 2017 02:15

J. Duncan wrote:Oh God...not that tank again! (lol) I remember we spent a long time discussing the mysteries of this tank. It might have been in this thread, in posts "far, far away."
We sure did.
We can blame[?] Geoff Walden :wink:
Does anyone know the story behind this wrecked Sherman tank, on the Zeppelinfeld in 1945?
viewtopic.php?p=1784011#p1784011
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Red star

Post by Red star » 06 May 2017 15:37

Funnel in the zeppelinfield from an air bomb.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 May 2017 20:14

Max wrote:
J. Duncan wrote:Oh God...not that tank again! (lol) I remember we spent a long time discussing the mysteries of this tank. It might have been in this thread, in posts "far, far away."
We sure did.
We can blame[?] Geoff Walden :wink:
Does anyone know the story behind this wrecked Sherman tank, on the Zeppelinfeld in 1945?
viewtopic.php?p=1784011#p1784011
I take the blame. :thumbsup: :milwink: :milwink:

Never did find any definitive answer to that question though ...

Great photos, Red Star, thanks!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 May 2017 22:10

Same from me, Red Star: great photos!

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 08 May 2017 03:50

Wait.......there was a tank in the Zeppelinfeld? :D

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 26 Jun 2017 20:13

My only visit to the Nuremberg Rally Grounds was in May of 1999 and the Zeppelinwiese Tribune was the site of the museum at that time. I understand that the museum has since been expanded and moved to the unfinished Congress Hall -- which was closed to the public when I was there, so I never got inside. How I'd enjoy walking over those grounds once again! These threads bring back such memories; I am forever grateful for all of the input here and elsewhere on the Axis History Forum!

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”