Painting of Hitler from Munich Beer Hall

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
GregSingh

Re: Painting of Hitler from Munich Beer Hall

Post by GregSingh » 12 Nov 2015, 01:08

More on Thiele:

Franz (František) Thiele (1868-1945)

Born March 9, 1868 in Frýdlant, died May 23, 1945 in Prague.
From 1884 to 1892 at Akademie der bildenden Künste, Wien - where he graduated.
A painter of portraits, landscapes and genres.
Since 1905 professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague. From 1905 until 1939 guardian and representative of German classes there.
A member of the Vienna Künstlerhaus and Hagenbund, exhibited with the Verein der deutschen bildenden Künstler in Böhmen. In association with Deutsch-böhmischer Künstlerbund exhibited in 1910, 1912 and 1914. In 1910 he was a member of the Board, in 1912 member of the organizing committee.
Franz Thiele collected exhibition was held in 1934 in Prague.

More info here: http://www.austriaca.at/oebl/oebl_T/Thi ... 8_1945.xml

Several works are in possession of Galerie hlavního města Prahy.

His 15 paintings seem to be on action here: http://www.artplus.cz/cs/autor/aukce/17 ... tegory=all

rickwil

Post by rickwil » 12 Nov 2015, 04:52

Thanks Greg, I have also learned he was murdered in Prague in 1945 because of his works he did for Hitler. All the works I have seen that have been auctioned were mostly his earlier landscapes, nothing of his work during the war years

BrendaS

Post by BrendaS » 18 Mar 2017, 06:18

Hello, It has been a while since there have been posts here, but I find this interesting because of a print by the same artist. I have been researching him out. You could contact Sotheby's auction house in NY. They have a method for submitting items for appraisal that you intend to sell. That is if you intend to sell the piece. There is also Skinner's Auctioneers and Appraisers who provides appraisals at no cost if you intend to sell. You can search these out online. I don't have personal experience with either organization, but have a friend who had a good experience with Sotheby's. Sotheby's appraises only items valued at $5000 or more, US dollars. I can not find anything about this picture that I am researching. It is called "Christ before the house of Ahasverus." It is copyrighted 1894, so is one of his much earlier works. It came from a Catholic church, and appears to be one of the Station of the Cross paintings. I did find that Ahasverus became a legend much later as the "Wandering Jew," and is unfortunately anti-semetic. But this seems to tie in to his later apparent reverence for Hitler. If you have learned anything which may be of interest to me, I would certainly appreciate you sharing.

BarKokhba

Post by BarKokhba » 18 Mar 2017, 23:30

Interesting information on the Beer Hall painting. On the painter's other work 'Christ before the House of Ahasverus', please note that Ahasverus is known as Achasverosh in the Hebrew Bible Scroll of Esther, which is celebrated in the festive Jewish holiday of Purim. Ahasverus is usually associated with the Persian king Artaxerexes the Second (405-358 BCE), whose evil minister Haman tried to exterminate all the Jews of Persia but was thwarted and ended up on the gallows with his sons. It can only be considered a most bizarre twist of historic church antisemitism that Ahasverus was in any way connected to the European medieval antisemitic myth of 'the Wandering Jew.'

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”