Nürnberg - Hotel "Deutscher Hof" to be partly demolished

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Nürnberg - Hotel "Deutscher Hof" to be partly demolished

Post by Geoff Walden » 19 Jan 2014 11:06

The historic Hotel "Deutscher Hof", where Hitler stayed when he visited Nürnberg. will be partly demolished. The hotel has been closed for some 15 years and has been empty for over 10 years. In the past year, workers have been seen inside, tearing out interior wall finishings.

Last week a company started tearing down the back side of the hotel, which they claimed could not be remodeled. The front side of the hotel - the part where Hitler stayed - is under Denkmalschutz (monument protection) and cannot be torn down. However, the company plans to remodel this part with luxury apartments, offices, etc. Unfortunately, we know that Denkmalschutz in Bavaria does not mean the same thing as "monument protection" in the USA or UK, so we can only hope that this remodeling does not drastically change the appearance of this historic building.

More to come ... I'll try to make it over there this next week for an eyewitness view.

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/mittelfran ... g-100.html

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuernbe ... 0#ancTitle

http://blog.markenimmobilie.de/

DaveL111
Financial supporter

Re: Nürnberg - Hotel "Deutscher Hof" to be partly demolished

Post by DaveL111 » 19 Jan 2014 19:39

It looks like quite a bit of demolition going on. I hope the operator of the machine doesn't get carried away and go too far!

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 20 Jan 2014 15:36

So that's what was going on inside, this past Fall . . .

Hey Geoff - if they do change the façade, and happen to have a "fire-sale" . . . be sure to pick up one of the street lamps for me - it would look great in our garden, out back! :lol: [all kidding aside, those lamps are pretty cool!]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand." ~ Native American wisdom

JLEES

Re: Nürnberg - Deutscher Hof Hotel to be partly demolished

Post by JLEES » 02 Feb 2014 20:10

I had the pleasure of staying at the Deutscher Hof with my wife around 1999, shortly before it closed its doors. We both thought it was a great place to stay for the price and were surprised to discover that most guests had been unaware of its history in relation to the Third Reich. I remember having breakfast there and some British guests, who were very surprised by its history in relation to the Nuremberg Rallies and showed great delight at the news. Over the years, we've often looked on the internet in the hope it would have reopened when traveling to Nuremberg, but have been unsuccessful due to its closed status. At least twice we were forced to stay at other hotels in the city. It's too bad. I thought its closing was partly caused by poor marketing. It's another historic treasure that may go by the wayside...

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 May 2014 19:04

Report from Nürnberg today ... The development company that now owns the former Deutscher Hof Hotel has posted signs in the front windows, explaining the history of the property, including (surprisingly) a photo of Hitler at his window in the hotel (above the light sign that said HEIL HITLER). The signs say the interior reconstruction into luxury penthouses and a gourmet restaurant is scheduled to be finished in 2015. There is also a large red ribbon "tied" around the building, for some reason.

Sorry, Brad, all those original light fixtures in front are now gone. :x

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 11 May 2014 14:47

The light fixtures are gone? Really? What a shame . . . perhaps they will be restored to the building one day, and weren't just tossed into the demo heap?

Guess I should have grabbed the one falling off the front of the building, when I had the chance . . . :lol:
"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand." ~ Native American wisdom

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 May 2014 16:24

Here are some pics. The front windows used to be painted over on the inside so you couldn't see in, except a dark dingy view through the front doors, but now you can see that the inside is almost 100% stripped. There does seem to be a nice marble staircase and marble column left. I would include pics of the new signs, but the reflections off the windows made the photos rather poor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 11 May 2014 18:31

thanks Geoff for the update.

This hotel can easily be renovated to its glory and most likely even better
considering its history I am sure it would get lots of patronage. I bet they
took the lighting fixtures and anything worth restoring to reuse again.

I even looked into staying there once but it was already not open anymore.

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 12 May 2014 00:01

Annelie wrote: I bet they
took the lighting fixtures and anything worth restoring to reuse again.
For the sake of historical preservation, I sincerely hope someone did save them . . . but if such is not the case, and anyone should happen upon one for sale, don't forget - I'm interested. :thumbsup:

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 May 2014 10:06

Hello Geoff

Did you take any pictures of the history signs in the Windows?
Geoff Walden wrote:Report from Nürnberg today ... The development company that now owns the former Deutscher Hof Hotel has posted signs in the front windows, explaining the history of the property, including (surprisingly) a photo of Hitler at his window in the hotel (above the light sign that said HEIL HITLER). The signs say the interior reconstruction into luxury penthouses and a gourmet restaurant is scheduled to be finished in 2015.
Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 May 2014 16:02

Hi Kurt,

I did, but due to the glare off the window glass, the photos are so poor they are hard to read.

Geoff

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 May 2014 16:47

Hello

Ok, That is unfortunately a problem with glass - thanks for the answer :)

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

AdolfJesus

Post by AdolfJesus » 19 Sep 2018 21:33

While I was looking for historical details about th hotel, I fell upon a rather interesting blog with many photographs and comparisons with previous glorious times:
https://gesichterderstadt.wordpress.com ... er-hof/14/

The blog includes pictures from two flickr user albums, while the hotel was inoperative as well as photos from the demolitions:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dankogree ... 714628381/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dankogree ... 714631063/

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”