Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mauser K98k

Re: Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Post by Mauser K98k » 06 Oct 2015 18:33

Thanks History 1. Especially for the Birkenau plan. I looked all over for a map which defined those two buildings but could not find one.

Somehow, I didn't imagine the SS actually preparing food for the inmates in a kitchen.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 07 Oct 2015 18:12

You´re welcome, Mauser. As you can imagine a workplace there was very desired among the inmates.
@Geoff: I never was inside those kitchen baracks, everytime (5 or 6 times I visited Auschwitz) they were locked.

GregSingh

Re: Monowitz air-raid shelters

Post by GregSingh » 14 Oct 2015 23:27

Further to Geoff's post from 14th of September.
Those large air-raid shelters had been identified as Truppenmannschaftsbunker T 750.
Not too high long structures were Salzgitter-Bunker, designed for Geilenberg program.
There seem to be well preserved and easily accessible LS-Deckungsgraben in Włosienica / Wlosienitz, near Lager V.

Lots of photos here: http://eksploratorzy.com.pl/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20086

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 Oct 2015 17:27

Thanks, Greg, those photos on that page are really great, because they were taken without foliage on the trees. I have since discovered that there are many more of all of these types of shelters in that area ... always something new to see!

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 15 Oct 2015 22:53

Geoff Walden wrote:Thanks, Greg, those photos on that page are really great, because they were taken without foliage on the trees. I have since discovered that there are many more of all of these types of shelters in that area ... always something new to see!
WOW . . . those photos are something - aren't they, Geoff! I think we should go that site, and show them what each one of those places looks like with foliage and Polish policeman - what do you think? :lol:

I am with you - there is ALWAYS more to see . . . and I think, ESPECIALLY there! I still can't believe how much we came across, just driving and "bumming" around the place . . . that whole region must have been inundated with new construction - all still waiting to be re-discovered. I'm already dreaming of another visit! :thumbsup:
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 16 Oct 2015 08:15

I don´t know if it´s of interest for you because it´s in German, but the drawings are anyway self-explanatory. Air raid shelter construction manual of the OT:
http://www.bochumer-bunker.de/ot_bauweisen.html
Use "copy graphic adress" and insert it in the adress bar in a new tab to get the original file size ;-)

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 16 Oct 2015 20:15

Thanks, Roman, I had seen pages of this, but not all. I turned it into a pdf file, but unfortunately it turned out too large for me to post or e-mail. Have you seen page 2 of this? It's missing on that site.

Geoff

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 17 Oct 2015 07:47

Hello Geoff, you meant "page 3" as this is not published there. I guess it doesn´t show anything of importance (maybe some advertising) because otherwise the guys would have shown it. I sent a mail to them to clarify the reason.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 17 Oct 2015 23:37

Back to the Judenrampe.

Map shows all tracks on Auschwitz Bahnhof West. Photo shows the same area in April 1944. And last one is how it looked in 2012.
All three are of quite good resolution, download them before viewing.
We can see that more than half of all tracks are now gone.
Auschwitz Bahnhof West.jpg
Auschwitz April 1944.jpg
Oswiecim 2012.jpg
Sources:
Marek Rawecki "Ekspertyza..."
NARA
http://semaforek.kolej.org.pl/wiki/htmlets/Oswiecim.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Oct 2015 18:24

Hi Greg,

Those are interesting maps, particularly the last one. But I think the Polish railways map is only showing the tracks that are actually in modern use, plus the modern tracks put in for the Judenrampe memorial. The other tracks are still there, in part, but they aren't used now. For sure, there are still several remains of the 1940s tracks, that are not shown on the modern map.

Geoff

Geoff Walden

Hans Citroen's Book

Post by Geoff Walden » 30 Oct 2015 21:11

Earlier in this thread we have cited the following book:
Oswiecim-Auschwitz, Auschwitz-Oswiecim, by Hans Citroen and Barbara Starzynska
Rotterdam, Post Editions, 2011, ISBN 978 94 6083 0501

Since this book is now hard to find, I wanted to let the readers of this thread know that I saw a copy for sale at the KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau the other day. This is a used copy - possibly well-used, as some of the pages appear to be loose. It was marked 35.00 euro. I suppose, if anyone is interested, the book could be ordered online from the Dachau bookstore - https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/bookshop.html .

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 30 Oct 2015 21:40

Talking about books that are hard or rare on Auschwitz, Geoff have you seen the book by Marek Rawecki, Auschwitz-Birkenau Zone
It is a study about kl auschwitz and outerzone. It has 2 partitions, one in Polish language and one in the English language.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 31 Oct 2015 15:49

Hi Hans,
You mean the books that are called "Strefa Auschwitz-Birkenau" (2003/2014, ISBN 83-7335-215-5) and Auschwitz-Birkenau Zone" (in English), right? I have these as pdf files. I don't recall where I downloaded them from ...

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 31 Oct 2015 21:06

Yes that is the one indeed Geoff, i did not know there was a pdf file on this book, so that is good to know. I got my copy from the writer, and he told me that it was one of the last copies he had. The book is printed on normal copy machine paper, so if you print out the pdf, you are left with the same print as the book is.

Interesting link : http://www.panoramio.com/user/5245060/t ... itz%20Zone
When clicking the link Rava's Labels more interesting labels appear.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 01 Nov 2015 14:29

Thanks, Hans ... That is Marek Rawecki's Panoramio page, I think ... right?
Greeting from sunny Bavaria, Geoff

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”