Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 Apr 2015, 15:31

This is where the Kruki water works used to be. It was still there until a year or so ago. Now it is almost completely gone.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=50.04737 ... 1&t=h&z=16

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 28 Apr 2015, 00:04

That's the one!

Here is the fragment of German map showing Auschwitz, Kruki and Dwory.
Auschwitz.jpg
Auschwitz, Kruki, Dwory
Kruki is called Dwory-Kruki today and it's a suburb of Oswiecim.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 28 Apr 2015, 00:39

There is a 1:10000 map of the whole Monowitz complex showing position of all camps and all industrial buildings. It's called IG Farbenindustrie Aktiengesellschaft Lageplan Werk Auschwitz.

I think I've seen a copy on the internet somewhere...

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 28 Apr 2015, 17:48

Hi Greg,

I found this in my files, but I have no idea where I got it. Maybe from one of those links you posted before, maybe from the Auschwitz Museum webpage.

I'm sure I will have to reduce it in size - the original is pretty large.

I'm thinking all the little squiggly lines in yellow highlight represent Splitterschutzgraben air raid shelters.
Attachments
Buna_Werke_Camps_Lageplan.jpg
source - ???

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 Apr 2015, 03:22

This map is available on Wollheim Memorial
I'm thinking all the little squiggly lines in yellow highlight represent Splitterschutzgraben air raid shelters.
They look massive on June 1944 aerial photo...wider then camps barracks...perhaps disturbed and dug out soil around them.

Location of Camp VIII is quite off, Camp IX in nowhere to be seen on aerial photo...
Monowitz.jpg
Monowitz - camps VIII, IX, X

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Apr 2015, 14:16

Greg, you're so right - in the aerial photos, those things look way too big to be traditional Splitterschutzgraben. But they seem to be arranged for that purpose. Maybe that is mainly dug out earth that we're seeing, and they just look really big. Or maybe they were something else entirely.

One of the marked-up versions of that 26 June 1944 photo shows a label "Approximate location of the bomb shelter" down south of Lager X, like in a little village or group of buildings down there. This label doesn't look like the CIA labels, and maybe it was added later by someone else (I don't remember where I downloaded this from). Anyway, I've not heard of a bomb shelter down there, unless it would be one of those small Einmannbunkers, there for some reason. (It would be about here - 50.01372, 19.26811 ... I can't get the new Google Maps to give me a link to a specific site anymore ... I REALLY do not like the new Google Maps - it seems to have lost a lot of features that I used to use regularly).

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 29 Apr 2015, 14:55

I have another query related to "Outside the Wire": Not too long ago some rather disturbing pictures were posted on the net of the SS staff having a jolly sing-song and looking very relaxed and happy at a place called "Solahutte". Is there anything left of that resort, where was it and is it used today?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Apr 2015, 16:59

Hi Paul,

Not real sure exactly where it was ... it was not in the immediate vicinity ... but it was torn down a few years ago. Nothing left now. But before it was torn down, it was still used as an R&R site for the area people, including the chemical plant (ex-Buna Werke) employees and their families. Maybe someone else here knows exactly where it was.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 29 Apr 2015, 20:59

Here´s the exact location of the former Solahütte:
https://goo.gl/maps/mJqRb
As Geoff told already, nothing left there.

wm

Post by wm » 29 Apr 2015, 21:47

It's not that bad. :)
The forest above the place - according to locals he loved to go for a walk there.
This is the place, in in the lower left - Höss' house:
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
air-raid shelters for him and his colleagues, frequently prisoners working there had to spend the night inside:
h3.jpg
h4.jpg
source: 1, 2.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 29 Apr 2015, 21:58

A Picture of Solahuette I took when I visited the site in May 2009.
solahuette.jpg
solahuette.jpg (139.42 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 30 Apr 2015, 03:12

Geoff Walden wrote:I can't get the new Google Maps to give me a link to a specific site anymore ... I REALLY do not like the new Google Maps - it seems to have lost a lot of features that I used to use regularly).
It's still possible to use old Google maps, just click on the question mark in the right bottom corner and then click on Return to Classic Google Maps.

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 30 Apr 2015, 03:23

OK - you guy's are killing me . . . now I have to do further research, and find out how to get to Solahütte and Höss' house. :D
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 30 Apr 2015, 09:24

Wow, wm, those are great photos, thanks for posting! I didn't know there were any shelters there.
GregSingh wrote:
Geoff Walden wrote:I can't get the new Google Maps to give me a link to a specific site anymore ... I REALLY do not like the new Google Maps - it seems to have lost a lot of features that I used to use regularly).
It's still possible to use old Google maps, just click on the question mark in the right bottom corner and then click on Return to Classic Google Maps.
Thanks, Greg, that didn't work here. It appears that Google Maps no longer works with IE 9, which is the browser I have here. I have to wait until the net admin here upgrades the browser, I guess.

Geoff

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 30 Apr 2015, 14:25

Some time back there was an album of photographs posted on the Internet of the SS officers and staff of Auschwitz Camp gathered at a recreation facility having a jolly old sing-song and lots of smiles all round. I see to remember that this resort was called Sola-something - presumably named after the River Sola. I was wondering if this resort was still in existence and if so whether it is still used?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”