Remaining Homes Of Former Top Nazis Today

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Johnnyrocket

Re: Remaining Homes Of Former Top Nazis Today

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2008, 03:28

Here's a fantastic site for this threads subject...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... e%26sa%3DN

Johnny R. :D
Attachments
Balcony.jpg
Balcony.jpg (228.5 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
3269133.jpg
3269133.jpg (214.47 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
3233107.jpg
3233107.jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2008, 03:43

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 21 Jun 2008, 03:44

Was there a good reason for its removal or just the Bavarian Govt erasing the past?
That has been a debated here a few times and many of us disagree with tearing down history.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2008, 04:00

History should not be destroyed, it should be learned from. The Germany of today is a very liberal nation, Trying to do what we have been doing in this country (USA) for years, and that is reconstruct history to fit a pre-conceived perspective on facts that fits their template.

Well, that's just my humble opinion.

Johnny R. :o

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 21 Jun 2008, 10:56

Hi Johnny R.

Unfortunately it's not the same balcony - the one I've posted a photo of is from his appartmentblock in München, the ones you've posted are from the Reichskanzlei in Berlin . . .

Regards
Halfdan S.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 21 Jun 2008, 13:41

Halfdan S. wrote:Hi Johnny R.

Unfortunately it's not the same balcony - the one I've posted a photo of is from his appartmentblock in München, the ones you've posted are from the Reichskanzlei in Berlin . . .

Regards
Halfdan S.
Hi Halfdan, I've been looking for an image of the Munchen balcony, but have not been able to find one with A.Hitler on it?

Johnny R. :D

Thomasine

Post by Thomasine » 25 Jun 2008, 22:03

The first home of Hermann Göring in Stockholm Sweden, an apartment at Narvavägen 5 still stands as does his second, an apartment at Odengatan 23.

Also intact is the small house in the Bavarian village of Hochkreuth bei Bayrisch-Zell that Carin and Hermann Göring rented between 1920 and 1930. Carin called the house her "Pfefferkuchenhaus" (Gingerbreadhouse) as in the fairytale of Hänschen und Gretel by the Grimm brothers. I have heard that it is still refered to as the Göring-house in the village.

In the Münchener suburb of Obermenzing, Döbereinerstrasse 30, the small but modern villa that Carin's first husband Nils von Kanzow bought for his former wife and her new husband as a weddingpresent is still there and in private ownership. The house was later impounded and repossed by the bank after the Putsch in November 1923. In fact, Nils von Kanzow financed not only this house but also the two apartments in Stockholm and the Görings lived well for years on Carin's alimony and Nils' generous hand outs.

Wether their Berlin homes, Berchtesgadener Strasse 16 and Badenschen Strasse 7 survived the bombings of the war, I don't know.

As far as I know, Haus Aspenstein, a small baroque castle in Kochel am Walchensee where the von Schirachs lived is still standing as well as Gut Sonnenburg in Freienwalde and the villa in Berlin-Dahlem that belonged to the von Ribbentrops. Annelies von Ribbentrop went through several court proceedings after the war to regain ownership of the house but lost all the way up to the Supreme Court.

vszulc

Post by vszulc » 26 Jun 2008, 14:49

Johnnyrocket wrote:History should not be destroyed, it should be learned from.
I agree with you in principle, but on the other hand, I'd like to make an opinion from case to case.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally or principally wrong with tearing down a house that belonged to, for example Hitler, or a nazi monument. The memory of the victims and their rights is more important, I think, than the right of some history-buff, to march around in said house 50 years later.

You're not tearing down history, it's just a building, that to some sick minds might be a place of worship. History is so much more than just a building.

But as I said, I like to make an opinion from case to case.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 26 Jun 2008, 22:09

vszulc wrote:
I agree with you in principle, but on the other hand, I'd like to make an opinion from case to case.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally or principally wrong with tearing down a house that belonged to, for example Hitler, or a nazi monument. The memory of the victims and their rights is more important, I think, than the right of some history-buff, to march around in said house 50 years later.

You're not tearing down history, it's just a building, that to some sick minds might be a place of worship. History is so much more than just a building.

Interesting concept, vszulc, and I know it's your opinion, but I can't see where "victim's rights" are an option for consideration; tearing down a historical building can't be considered an aspect of reparation, and it doesn't bring a loved on back or lessen the pain of loss. If that were the case, then a lot of buildings across the globe would have to be destroyed, as many churches, synagogues and religious edifices can be considered "places of worship for sick minds", depending on what side of the belief fence one is on...the Vatican, case in point, was known to be sympathtic to the Nazi cause (or, at least indifferent)...should St. Peter's Basilica be razed?
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 26 Jun 2008, 22:28

ghostsoldier wrote:
vszulc wrote:

Interesting concept, vszulc, and I know it's your opinion, but I can't see where "victim's rights" are an option for consideration; tearing down a historical building can't be considered an aspect of reparation, and it doesn't bring a loved on back or lessen the pain of loss. If that were the case, then a lot of buildings across the globe would have to be destroyed, as many churches, synagogues and religious edifices can be considered "places of worship for sick minds", depending on what side of the belief fence one is on...the Vatican, case in point, was known to be sympathtic to the Nazi cause (or, at least indifferent)...should St. Peter's Basilica be razed?
Rob

I like your quote at the end GhostSoldier..."Even God cannot change the past" —Agathon
God does know the future, but that does not mean it's predestined to happen. Man actualizes the future by his free choices...thus...and here's my point...History (German WWII—Buildings, places, and things, etc.) is the only thing we have at times we can judge our future decisions from. Historical reconstructionists try to base their new ideas on a new past. At times, without something to actually see, who then is there to say they are not true in their assumptions? Does any of this makes sense??? :wink:

Johnny R.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 27 Jun 2008, 15:09

Johnnyrocket wrote:Does any of this makes sense??? :wink:
Perfectly, my friend! :D
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 29 Jun 2008, 23:16

dwseiple wrote:Hello All!

How about Goring's childhood home in Rosenheim, does it still stand?
Dave
Hermann Göring was never resident in Rosenheim. His birth in this town, exact in a Hotel or Sanatorium MARIENBAD, was more or less an accident. His mother made an attendance in Rosenheim, when Hermann decided, to come out:-).

From 1901 Hermann was living with his mother and four siblings at Schloß Mauterndorf (in Austria) and Burg Veldenstein near Nürnberg.
160404gross (66)b.jpg
Burg Veldenstein
160404gross (66)b.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 4104 times
The little building right to the circular tower is the entrance to an Air raid shelter.
160404gross (66)b.jpg
Burg Veldenstein
160404gross (66)b.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 4104 times
Inside the shelter. The simple air ventilation system.

Greetings

Ralf
Attachments
160404gross (60)b.jpg
160404gross (60)b.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

Reichkameramann

Post by Reichkameramann » 01 Aug 2008, 20:26

Von Odine wrote:
Von...do you have any links to info that would show his home? I have seen many photos of the other leaders' homes, but never Ley's...I would be interested in seeing some period interior and exterior photos of his house....
I have no photos.. I saw it and Frank's house in the 1990s video "Ruins of the Reich" and/or "Ruins of the Reich II"
I have a VHS copy of "Ruins of the Reich" but didn't know there was a sequel. I thought their site was gone, and they were out of business?

RKM

Reichkameramann

Post by Reichkameramann » 01 Aug 2008, 20:40

vszulc wrote:

I for one, would love to be able to walk through the Berghof, or Reichskanzlei today. History was made in those buildings, not considering their craftsmanship or outstandingly beautiful design.

I would, as I am also a photographer, liked to have had the chance to photograph these places (and others). To simply tear down a building simply because "someone" "stepped here" "stepped there", "looked out this window" is ridiculous.

There is a building in the oldest public park in town which was built by German POWs, and I've used it a lot as background for portraits. It suffered damage from Hurricane Rita, and I've yet to see if repairs have been made. There is a sign above the door designating it as a national historical landmark.

Reichkameramann

Grootendorst

Post by Grootendorst » 27 May 2009, 23:41

Everyone forgets the stadspalast of Göring in Berlin. It was located at the southeast behind the Leipziger Platz. The neighbours were the Preussen Landtag, This palace must be destroyed after or in the war, the spot is clear this day. When the Wall was there, it was a parkinglot for the borderguards. Look on Google Earth and you can find the place.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”