German Escape Aids

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Riley

German Escape Aids

Post by Riley » 12 Mar 2016, 22:48

Though the recent awsom publication of "Evasion & Escape Devices" by Paul FROOM will be the "Bible" for
Allied PoW and Evader equipment, there is minimal information related to the Axis Evasion & Escape material.

Oblt. Hans von WERRA apparently lectured about the PoW system after his successful escape from Canada.
Coded letters from PoW to Germany have been acknowledged, as are secret messages enclosed in "walnuts" sent as Christmas gifts. Messages may also have been included on phonograph records of music sent from Germany.

But what about Axis efforts to at least copy the "known to Germany" methods used by the Allies, or new innovations?

Has anyone any information relating to the above?

Robert

Truebrit

Re: German Escape Aids

Post by Truebrit » 11 Mar 2017, 23:02

Hi Robert,
You raise an interesting point re German E&E devices. I think that PHIL Froom does mention the subject in his book, but I believe that actually the Germans had very little in the way of for,al E&E kit.

It is hard to understand their reasoning, but since German forces were constantly on the offensive, and were (certainly in the early years) seemingly invincible, the thinking may have been that even if cut off or shot down, they would soon be released as their troops over ran enemy units - this mixed with a huge arrogance perhaps?

Even Luftwaffe units flying over U.K. during the Battle of Britain lacked specific E&E material (Survival gear yes, E&E no...). Possibly since German air crew bailing out, or making a forced landing in U.K., would have almost Zero chance of retaining their liberty, as unlike Allied crews downed anywhere but over Germany, Luftwaffe crews would have zero chance of being supported by local civilians, resistance or partisans - as our crews did...

There are some compasses often described as German escape compasses, since they have German N, S, E & West markings on them, but actually these predate WWII. They could have course have been carried by Luftwaffe crews as escape compasses, as some Allied troops carried their own personal E&E items, but I have seen no Evidence of this.

As far as POWs go, once again, German escapees in POW uniforms would have little hope of retaining their liberty for long, and since the British coast was so heavily fortified, even if they reached it, escaping would be all but impossible. Franz Von Werra mad a fantastic bid for freedom, by air, but used nothing we know of, which he carried into England when shot down. Later in the war, German POWs were even provided with wireless sets (radios) by the British Military authorities, as we had little to hide with regard to the direction the war was taking...

Ultimately in both World wars, but One Axis soldier made a successful escape from England back to his home land (in this case Germany). Oberleutnant Gunther Pluschow, an officer in the German Flying Corps successfully escaped from Donnington Hall Officers POW centre, and stowed away on a ship to Holland, from there home to Germany...

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: German Escape Aids

Post by Vikki » 13 Mar 2017, 09:47

Hello Riley,

I've moved your post from Life in the Reich and Weimar Republic to the Intelligence and Espionage section, where I think you may receive more replies.

I've also removed your exact copy of this post as a duplicate post.

Best regards,

~Vikki

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”