Belief In Propaganda

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
gavmeister13

Belief In Propaganda

Post by gavmeister13 » 19 May 2003 11:44

how widely was Goebbels' propaganda believed?

davethelight

Post by davethelight » 19 May 2003 16:03

I would imagine that in the early days it was swallowed hook line and sinker by a large proportion of the German public, certainly the majority. Its not hard to imagine this when you look at how readily most people swallow the crap they see and read in the media today. I am always surprised and dissapointed with the way many people I talk too are quite happy to think what they're told to think by the mass media, their opinions, values, everything is so strongly controlled, and most of them are blissfully unaware of it. I think alot of it has to do with commercial media networks, all competing for ratings and ready to go to any length to sensatinalise and twist a storey in order to get the viewer interested in it.
It's been said many times before, but I'll repeat it again:
"Never let the truth get in the way of good story"!
This is the modus-operandi (spelling?) of all commercial media organisations.

Xserx

Post by Xserx » 19 May 2003 16:32

In the first years of war, Nazy propagation was very effective. Victorious messages of propagation were supported with successes at the front. This was promoted by monopoly of the state to mass media. Germans could not receive the information from other sources (except for unless radio)However, it is impossible to tell, that ideological aspect Nazy propagation was very successful. The idea of "exclusiveness" interesting German people a little. The beginning of war was met in Germany without euphoria as it took place in 1914 (look "Berlin Diary" by W.Sherer (american correspondent)).
Subsequently, with deterioration of a situation on fronts, the trust to propagation has strongly fallen. Though it is interesting, that on a question "Whether you trust Hitler?" to German POW's at the end of 1944 which was set by the American Service of Psychological Warfire 64%(!!!) 8O interrogated says "Yes".
Xserx/

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 19 May 2003 19:53

Nazi propoganda is still beleived. How many people still think of the WW2 German war machine as blonde, strapping soldiers and Tiger tanks.

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 20 May 2003 03:18

According to what I've read about , Goebbels was a mastermind of Propaganda, although he didn't have the same appeal to the masses as Hitler, except in the famous Sportpalast speech of 18-February-1943 after the loss of Stalingrad where he calls for a "total war". A more perfect audience, according to Goebbels himself, he couldn't have hoped for. That speech was a total succes.

From other minus episodes I can gather that the total lack of free information in Germany was very useful to Goebbels and to some extent, germans believed what the Reich wanted them to believe.
I recall particulary that after the German troops stormed Netherlands Goebbels omitted every information concerning the death of Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1941. As a result, the german population to a large extent wasn't aware of his decease. Based on facts like the above I can say that Goebbels' propaganda was a very competent one.

lilpink03

Post by lilpink03 » 20 May 2003 22:27

CHRISCHA wrote:Nazi propoganda is still beleived. How many people still think of the WW2 German war machine as blonde, strapping soldiers and Tiger tanks.
propaganda in genral (excuse the spelling) is still belived, bush on the aircraft carrrier saying the war is over... all his funny "im concerned" or "were gonna kick there ass" facial expressions? nothing but modern propaganda. and i know people who completely buy it.

col. klink

propaganda

Post by col. klink » 21 May 2003 16:33

The thing to remember is that propaganda is not just another word for lies. The best propaganda is the truth. Some propaganda is just out and out false. And the tough stuff are those bits that have some elements of truth to them that make the false parts seem believable. I'm not trying to equate the two but I'd think maybe up until the end of 1941 most of the German population would have found Goebbels' pronouncements on what was going on outside the country as accurate as todays average American finds Ari Fliesher's press statements on the Middle East or the War on Terrorism.

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 21 May 2003 20:27

I know the OSS had three classifications of propaganda - white which was at least mostly true, black which was not, and gray which stradled the two. Press coverage was often days or weeks after the fact (as in the case of movie newsreels) so the circumstances were very different.

White propaganda may have been more effective in World War 2 than nukes in dealing with Japan. We dropped flyers all over pointing out that the emperor was negotiating with us, and that did a great deal to break the fighting spirit. The truth was easily verified.

When we bring in events today it really is apples and oranges. The press is immediate and international. It is also a sly opportunity to put out misinformation and confuse the enemy, who are all watching CNN, BBC etc.

The only thing I find funny is that many people seem to feel that when we fight a war, we shouldn't use propaganda at all. That we are cheating if we lie and get hundreds or thousands to quit fighting. The alternative is to me, unthinkable.

Ti.P

Post by Ti.P » 22 May 2003 10:53

Inside germany i think the propaganda would have been believed very much! especially during the early years and after that it was too late! ive taken a look at alot of the posters and many of them are in the style that the kaiser and bismarck had, building on those memories. also muhc of what the propaganda said was true if not the whole truth. ie hitler has made this, hitler has done this.. things like transport etc he actually improved but he of course didnt say that it was slave labour of the jews that improved his economy so much!

Horthy

Post by Horthy » 22 May 2003 19:47

Mussolini Inspects Alpine Front
Die deutsche Wochenschau, July 1940.

Die deutsche Wochenschau, August 1944.

Last Meeting of Hitler and Mussolini
Die deutsche Wochenschau, July 1944.

Horthy

Post by Horthy » 22 May 2003 19:52

August 1943.

Guderian Visits Tank-Driving School, July 1943.

March 1943.

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 24 May 2003 00:20

Horthy, I still don't get the connection between your pics and propaganda

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”